Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Has anyone else experienced this problem. I noticed when the pilot is parked on my drive way which has a slight incline and when you shift from park to reverse, it seems harder to shift (there is slight resistence on the lever) and when you do shift it to reverse you can hear a load thump when the gears change. Just wondering if anyone else experience this.

thanks
-Arnie

·
Registered
283 Posts
yes all automatic cars will do this if you do not use your parking brake.

When you park your car and let your foot off the brake you feel the car roll back a little. This is your car sitting back on the transmission. Which makes it harder to shift out of park and cause the loud thunk sound.

Just use your parking brake and it will not happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks !!! Just wondering will damage the trans if I don't put on the parking brake and let the "thump" happen? The reason I am asking is that myself or my wife will sometime forget to take out the parking brake and I would rather hear the thump then ride on the brake.

thanks
-Arnie

·
Registered
305 Posts
if you set the brake hard enuf, you CAN'T forget to take it off. :p

·
Registered
207 Posts
arniec-

When parking, try to set the parking brake before shifting into Park and that should relieve the stress off the transmission and make shifting into 'R' smoother.

I don't know how much stress/wear that kind of parking will do to the transmission, but it does effect how well you Pilot will stay parked where you want it. When parking it with 'P' only, no brake, you will only have the traction of one front tire holding the vehicle in place. This isn't enough if your hill has snow, ice, gravel, etc... on it. By using the parking brake along with 'P', you essentially have three tires holding the vehicle from rolling.

Hope this helps.

-Pete

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
arniec said:
Thanks !!! Just wondering will damage the trans if I don't put on the parking brake and let the "thump" happen? The reason I am asking is that myself or my wife will sometime forget to take out the parking brake and I would rather hear the thump then ride on the brake.

thanks
-Arnie
In the long run, probably. My Uncle bought a new 4x4 Chevy pickup (this was a GM vehicle back in 1989 :p ), and when he parked on his inclined driveway, I noticed how he would not use the parking brake. When he went to shift out of park, you would hear this loud thud. Less than a year after he bought it, he had to have the tranny replaced. After they opened it up they found pieces of metal throughout in the inside. :( He got it fixed under warranty thank goodness.

It's always a good idea to use whether or not you park on an incline that way you will be less likely to forget when you actually do park on an incline. Just my opinion anyway... :)

BTW, I live in Florida with very few hills and I still use it regardless.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would think once in awhile is not going to hurt anything. But like you I have a inclined drive-way. I try to set it every time. What will happen is the gears will get worn prematurely and help to cause transmission slippage. This would be a long term effect.

Start setting the brake in a couple days you will get use to taking it on/off all the time. I'm in the habit now I put on the parking brake every time I park. I just push it down harder when I'm on a hill.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Paul V7,

I AGREE WITH YOU.

·
Registered
6 Posts
that is normal, what I do is put the gear in neutral, push the emergency brake hard, ease the brake pedal, let the car find its place, normally goes a little forward or back, its depends if the incline is downhill or uphill and later put the gear in park. When you start again the car you will never hear that offensive sound.:7:

·
Registered
13 Posts
WHEW!

This was happening to me. I was parking at the end of our cul de sac (which is slightly slanted at the curb) so the front end was lower then the back end. Both times my car was in this postion this noise would happen (especially if I go a day without driving it) My husband is FAMOUS for putting on the emergency break which was driving me ABSOLUTELY crazy! (smile) Now after reading all these posts about what's happening, I guess he new better huh! Thanks so much for the info, I'm going for my 7500 mile check up (I'm only at 6000...bought in november) because we are taking her on her first roadtrip.... TEXAS to OHIO. I'm also getting crossbars put on if Tim gets back to me today (6/9/03) and I can get them at the group by price. Anyhoo, I'm glad the thump is not something "bad"

CP

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: WHEW!

Welcome to the forum CoPiloter!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts