Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any chance that the shifter has a provision for holding 4th gear on the 2004s? I'll be towing a smallish enclosed motorcycle trailer and this omission is the only reason I haven't already made a Pilot purchase.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I Read This Somewhere......

But I'll be damned if I can remember where....

The Grade Logic system in the transmission of the PILOT and MDX has specific programming to detect when an extra load is present.

So, the quick answer is, I believe the GL system will know what is the best gear to be in while driving.

I've loaded quite a bit of stuff into the back of my PILOT this summer for a huge backyard relandscaping project, and while I didn't go hauling a$$ down the road, I never felt my PILOT searching for the right gear.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
608 Posts
no you cant select 4th gear, but if you did, you'd be looking at +/- 3000 RPM constant at freeway speeds :eek: . just let the tranny handle the shifting. 5th gear (compared to 4th) will improve mileage and reduce wear. when you accelerate, it will kickdown anyways, no reason to hold it at 4th for constant speeds.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I could see where in the mountains not being able to dictate 4th could be an issue.

For down hills as well as non level terrain where the transmission cannot anticipate the frequent shifting it would do it not able to be kept in 4th.

Is there not an overdrive lockout on the Pilot? Never had to look for it yet so I cannot say. I would seem counter logical to not allow drivers the ability to lock out overdrive.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is no OD lockout on the Pilot, unless you consider D3 b/c as discussed before both 4th and 5th gears are truly overdrives.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Paternofan,

Been to happy valley lately. My fav hangout is the corner room and toftree inn during civilized years after school!

During undergrad it was the frats and some dives like the rathskeller, scorpion etc.

Not having a lockout for 5th is an engineering short-site in my opinion as for light duty towing it would have been a handy tool, not to mention towing a smaller camping trailer etc. They will probably put it on the Pilot in a year or two.

These type of planned upgrades are [email protected]#$%^&*(poor in my opinion. The Nissan company droids do/does this notoriously.

BTW scream louder during the next game will ya, we almost had the huskers in the last game a few times!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Diesel-Lover said:
Hey Paternofan,

Been to happy valley lately. My fav hangout is the corner room and toftree inn during civilized years after school!

During undergrad it was the frats and some dives like the rathskeller, scorpion etc.

Not having a lockout for 5th is an engineering short-site in my opinion as for light duty towing it would have been a handy tool, not to mention towing a smaller camping trailer etc. They will probably put it on the Pilot in a year or two.

These type of planned upgrades are [email protected]#$%^&*(poor in my opinion. The Nissan company droids do/does this notoriously.

BTW scream louder during the next game will ya, we almost had the huskers in the last game a few times!!!
Unfortunately I have not been back to happy valley in about 2 years. I still like all the same dive hangouts from when I attended school there, I guess it just reminds me of the good times I had when I was there.

The overdrive lockout is a potential oversight, but I can see why they cut this when trying to make the Pilot as cheap as possible. Most people will never miss it and with the towing I have done, I actually did not see the need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts