Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, need some help, trying to save my father in law's Pilot, and unwilling to give up on it without trying a few things and before spending a lot of money on guesses.

Subject Pilot - Original owner 265K miles on 2004 EXL; original trans, service up to date for the most point.

What began with a shift solenoid code which we cleared with an autozone scan tool and ran for about 500 more miles has now left us with an unclearable shift solenoid code specific to solenoid A and consistent driveability issues and the infamous FLASHING GREEN D (Drive position). Road tested, pilot is down on power and not shifting, but also NOT apparently slipping either. If I shift by column and select it pulls out better and begins in 1st, and will go into second but seems to cease shifting up after that. Its enough to get up to hwy speed but without using the column shifter its limping around like its stuck in 2nd always. Not safe when pulling away, and likely deteriorating what's left of trans.

Tried a better code scanner, my foxwell 510...it confirmed shift solenoid A failure. Using the scanner I also ran some live tests and checked values but don't really know what they mean. Per the advice of the inner-webs I did pull and clean the dual liner solenoid on top of trans, cleaned and reinstalled. NO CHANGE. I did locate the 4 single shift solenoids, with brown and black connectors, 2 under starter and 2 under thermostat outlet radiator hose. Cleaned and bench tested all 4....they all click when cycling with a 12 volt power source, and test with a multi-meter to 16.1 or 16.2 ohm consistently. While they weren't terribly dirty they are clean now and chose to swap the brown for brown locations and black for black locations thinking that if the code switches to solenoid A, B, C or whatever failure then something is wrong with that solenoid despite bench testing good. Connections look good and clean with no corrosion. Live tests with scanner indicate everything is triggering AFAIK.

I have not changed fluid but have a case of honda DW1 coming. Pilot appears to have original inline trans filter which I understand you don't change unless you rebuild. I have not pulled and cleaned the front single solenoid because the scanner did speak to problems there.

Any other ideas, or things I should check before road testing again to see if this issue continues?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Hi, need some help, trying to save my father in law's Pilot, and unwilling to give up on it without trying a few things and before spending a lot of money on guesses.

Subject Pilot - Original owner 265K miles on 2004 EXL; original trans, service up to date for the most point.

What began with a shift solenoid code which we cleared with an autozone scan tool and ran for about 500 more miles has now left us with an unclearable shift solenoid code specific to solenoid A and consistent driveability issues and the infamous FLASHING GREEN D (Drive position). Road tested, pilot is down on power and not shifting, but also NOT apparently slipping either. If I shift by column and select it pulls out better and begins in 1st, and will go into second but seems to cease shifting up after that. Its enough to get up to hwy speed but without using the column shifter its limping around like its stuck in 2nd always. Not safe when pulling away, and likely deteriorating what's left of trans.

Tried a better code scanner, my foxwell 510...it confirmed shift solenoid A failure. Using the scanner I also ran some live tests and checked values but don't really know what they mean. Per the advice of the inner-webs I did pull and clean the dual liner solenoid on top of trans, cleaned and reinstalled. NO CHANGE. I did locate the 4 single shift solenoids, with brown and black connectors, 2 under starter and 2 under thermostat outlet radiator hose. Cleaned and bench tested all 4....they all click when cycling with a 12 volt power source, and test with a multi-meter to 16.1 or 16.2 ohm consistently. While they weren't terribly dirty they are clean now and chose to swap the brown for brown locations and black for black locations thinking that if the code switches to solenoid A, B, C or whatever failure then something is wrong with that solenoid despite bench testing good. Connections look good and clean with no corrosion. Live tests with scanner indicate everything is triggering AFAIK.

I have not changed fluid but have a case of honda DW1 coming. Pilot appears to have original inline trans filter which I understand you don't change unless you rebuild. I have not pulled and cleaned the front single solenoid because the scanner did speak to problems there.

Any other ideas, or things I should check before road testing again to see if this issue continues?
Definitely change the filter. I would switch Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife. Do a drain, fill and drive, 3 times. The thinner fluid may help.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Definitely change the filter. I would switch Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife. Do a drain, fill and drive, 3 times. The thinner fluid may help.
And while you're at it, check battery and alternator and their associated cables, since loss or variations in electrical power can cause all kinds of poltergeists. Also check transmission range sensor aka neutral safety switch. But try the advice you just got above mine first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't have any problem thinking about replacing the simple inline filter on top until I read this:

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far you and any of us know, per that video you posted, your filter is probably contaminated and has been as the transmission deteriorates, which then would warrant replacing the filter, it says "replace the filter if it is leaking, or contaminated or trans being overhauled"

So, with that being said, there is a lot of online information from both this forum and the oddy forums showing success when the filter is replaced, I would venture out to replace the shift solenoids for 3rd and 4th gear as you are having problems moving up from second. They are cheap and worthwhile trying.

**correction; I meant to say 3rd and 4th pressure switches :) lol

I would also recommend maxlife atf over honda dw1.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I didn't have any problem thinking about replacing the simple inline filter on top until I read this:
I'm unwilling to give Honda any credit on making some ATF filters unserviceable, on the bases of "because you don't need to." A filter in time will begin to restrict flow. It's what filters do. The only thing saving my 244k mile 5-speed transmission in my Crosstour is the fact I changed to a thinner fluid, Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF 142k miles ago. Zero transmission problems. But you throw in a little towing with a couple of overheat episodes, that filter will be the Achilles heel.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
And while you're at it, check battery and alternator and their associated cables, since loss or variations in electrical power can cause all kinds of poltergeists. Also check transmission range sensor aka neutral safety switch. But try the advice you just got above mine first.
Yes. Definitely look for the corroded out grounding straps (times 3). In this case especially between the frame an transmission. It can be beneficial just to unbolt to clean the contact points if they appear to be intact. If corroded. A cheap fix in the Lawn and Garden dept at Wal-Mart for about $4.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered up a pair of Wix #58129 filters for this and the wife's 2005. I did see the lower ground was missing and corroded off actually...although someone at some point did a make shift one off another location. Will mend this. Thanks for the tips folks and will report back what happens next on this subject.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did you check the transmission ground? It's located on the side of the trans and facing the driver's side tire...it's labeled G-151 in the FSM. Aren't the shift solenoids under the starter A&C? I was getting a flashing D on my '05 around two years ago along with the trouble codes which signified an open circuit in shift solenoids A&C...although I never got any trouble codes for shift solenoid B which is located on the top of the transmission. It took me awhile but I eventually figured out what was going on. I was getting continuity on A&C's wiring terminal but there was just enough corrosion on the small wires connecting to G-151 which caused the resistance to be just high enough to trigger the trouble codes. Solenoid B is located closer to G-151 than A&C so that's the only reason why I wasn't getting a trouble code for it. I cut off the corroded wires and crimped on some ring terminals as a temporary fix...voila...problem solved. I found a new wiring harness for a great price on ebay but before I installed it I applied three coats of brush-on rubberized insulation to the exposed wiring to prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update:
Dumped in a bottle of lube gard Transmission Flush from Rock Auto to prep and clean trans internals before drain - 15 mintues, cycling thru gears in driveway with Pbrake on.
BVGA Transmission Flush.jpg

Drained nasty fluid, it looked well past it IMO
Removed Inline filter, this was absolutely the original with 265K miles
Removed and cleaned the dual linear solenoid on top and the front single
BVGA Dual Solenoid.jpg BVGA Single Solenoid.jpg
Before installing the new wix filter BVGA Wix Filter.jpg I blew compressed air into the exposed open holes where the Dual linear solenoid and front single were. Lots of dirty fluid came out, in fact the middle hole, (where the dual linear solenoid lives), was seemingly plugged for a second and then blew some nastiness out where the inline filter screws up. This was all pretty satisfying.

Result:
It took 5 quarts to refill, blowing the lines our really emptied it out. A normal drain is 2.8 qts according to internet,
Green D still flashes despite battery being disconnected;
Code PO753/Permanent still remains and continues to say "permanent" and will not reset by the foxwell NT510 scanner.

Still back where we were at beginning. Won't shift out of 3rd it seems. Will get first if I use the lever, Reverse neutral and Park are fine.

Any ideas Pilot team?

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,633 Posts
Did you get the Honda software package for your Foxwell? There might be more specific codes reported if you have that feature.

If you’re willing to throw $50 at the problem you might try replacing the 3rd gear pressure switch. Get an OEM one so you’re not wondering if a new aftermarket one is a piece of junk.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, honda software for the foxwell. 3rd gear pressure switch...where/what is that. Do you mean the shift solenoids? I have cleaned and tested all to be healthy

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yep, honda software for the foxwell. 3rd gear pressure switch...where/what is that. Do you mean the shift solenoids? I have cleaned and tested all to be healthy
@road2cycle is recommending replacing the 3rd gear pressure switch with new OEM to remove a variable

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,633 Posts
#11 or 12 on this diagram.
I’m not sure which is 3rd and which is 4th since I replaced both at the same time to resolve flashing D a few years ago. That was before I got a Foxwell NT530.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,633 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Update:
Dumped in a bottle of lube gard Transmission Flush from Rock Auto to prep and clean trans internals before drain - 15 mintues, cycling thru gears in driveway with Pbrake on.
View attachment 138622

Drained nasty fluid, it looked well past it IMO
Removed Inline filter, this was absolutely the original with 265K miles
Removed and cleaned the dual linear solenoid on top and the front single
View attachment 138623 View attachment 138624
Before installing the new wix filter View attachment 138625 I blew compressed air into the exposed open holes where the Dual linear solenoid and front single were. Lots of dirty fluid came out, in fact the middle hole, (where the dual linear solenoid lives), was seemingly plugged for a second and then blew some nastiness out where the inline filter screws up. This was all pretty satisfying.

Result:
It took 5 quarts to refill, blowing the lines our really emptied it out. A normal drain is 2.8 qts according to internet,
Green D still flashes despite battery being disconnected;
Code PO753 still remains and continues to say "permanent" and will not reset by the foxwell NT510 scanner.

Still back where we were at beginning. Won't shift out of 2nd it seems. Will get first if I use the lever, Reverse neutral and Park are fine.

Any ideas Pilot team?
It sounds like the transmission is in limp mode. The computer applies max pressure to the clutches, and will not shift beyond 2nd gear, to protect the unit from further damage. Did you have slipping problems in the higher gears before this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
28600-P7W-003
#12 or 13 since your Pilot is 2004.
2004 diagram
Interesting thanks, this is certainly worth a try...I suppose pulling these will dump trans fluid everywhere, yes? Found these on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-Trans-Pressure-Switches-OEM-28600-P7W-003-28600-P7Z-003-99194-For-Honda/153548935982?hash=item23c03ad32e:g:sRkAAOSwTHldGe-d

Also, wouldn't the Foxwell software have a live test to check these pressure switches? I will have to check my NT510, maybe your 530 has more detail?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It sounds like the transmission is in limp mode. The computer applies max pressure to the clutches, and will not shift beyond 2nd gear, to protect the unit from further damage. Did you have slipping problems in the higher gears before this?
No slippage that was known, flashing D and down on power from stop because its stuck in 3rd gear. (which you can remedy by manual select of 1st when you need to pull out on a hill for example)

How do I get the pilot out of limp mode, this code PO753/Permanent; will not clear by resetting the batttery, or with the foxwell scanner.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,633 Posts
28600-P7W-003

Interesting thanks, this is certainly worth a try...I suppose pulling these will dump trans fluid everywhere, yes? Found these on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-Trans-Pressure-Switches-OEM-28600-P7W-003-28600-P7Z-003-99194-For-Honda/153548935982?hash=item23c03ad32e:g:sRkAAOSwTHldGe-d

Also, wouldn't the Foxwell software have a live test to check these pressure switches? I will have to check my NT510, maybe your 530 has more detail?
It was a while ago, but I don’t recall a bunch of tranny fluid pouring out when I replaced both switches. I think they’re pretty high up on the tranny body.
I didn’t have the NT530 when this issue arose, so I’m not sure what live data exists for those pressure switches.

·
Registered
704 Posts
No slippage that was known, flashing D and down on power from stop because its stuck in 3rd gear. (which you can remedy by manual select of 1st when you need to pull out on a hill for example)

How do I get the pilot out of limp mode, this code PO753/Permanent; will not clear by resetting the batttery, or with the foxwell scanner.
The transmission could be worn to the point where it needs a rebuild or replacement. I know that you are trying to determine if this is the case.

It's also possible that a sticky spool valve internally is causing the problem. The solenoids control the spool valves, which do the actual gear changes. If you have already done 3x drain and fill, and installed a new external filter, and if you have replaced solenoids and corrected all wiring issues, that exhausts my bag of tricks.

Have you had a Honda dealership diagnose the problem? Perhaps a test drive with a Honda scan can shed light on the problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts