Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
A6Pilot said:
Roger-
Maybe, just maybe, there was a defect in the window glass, or glass installation, as the car rolled down the assembly line. In my case, (see above), the dealer found a high spot in the window surround that put the glass under stress as it was installed. All it took was a warm day, in direct sunlight, to shatter the glass. It happens!

Let's not automatically assume that the vehicle owner is at fault here. Older car, maybe. But a new car.......?
Who said the owner was at fault??

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was driving a Nissan Bluebird from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Singapore 10 years ago or so and the front windscreen exploded and fell in on us. I attributed that to cheap Malaysian glass. There were no vehicles in front of us to throw a rock, so to this day I have no idea what happened. I feel the heat and defective glass did it in. Just scared the *&^*(&^ out of me. Our two really young kids were in the back seat, but no one was hurt. The safety glass did what it was supposed to do and broke in small pieces and fell in our laps.

Fred

·
Registered
5 Posts
fjwagner said:
I was driving a Nissan Bluebird from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Singapore 10 years ago or so and the front windscreen exploded and fell in on us. I attributed that to cheap Malaysian glass. There were no vehicles in front of us to throw a rock, so to this day I have no idea what happened. I feel the heat and defective glass did it in. Just scared the *&^*(&^ out of me. Our two really young kids were in the back seat, but no one was hurt. The safety glass did what it was supposed to do and broke in small pieces and fell in our laps.

Fred
It has been extremely hot in Calif. these past few days. We had the AC running at about 76 degrees when it popped.

Thanks again to everyone. Other than that weird issue, the Pilot seems very nice.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Not even close. You can purchase auto glass that will take a direct hit from a .44 cal round and not shatter into the car.

Now that is safe :)

jay said:
I'd guess they use the "safest" glass they can.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
deparson said:
Not even close. You can purchase auto glass that will take a direct hit from a .44 cal round and not shatter into the car.

Now that is safe :)

Guess I should have added "that's still reasonably affordable.":31:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My husband had done a some research on the cars before we made the decision on this '06 Pilot EX 2wd and we just picked it up on June 27th late afternoon.

Today we had our first trip down to Torrance with our daughters. In the mid afternoon, we were on our way driving home, all of sudden, the rear passenger side window popped, shattered, and the glass chips fell in/out of the car. The shattered glass pieces scratched both passenger door and rear fender and there were small pieces of glass all over the whole right side of the car (the front passenger floor/side of seat, the rear passenger/in the door/floor, and the cargo space).

What's really weird is that there were microscopic pieces of glass that looks like glass fiber all over the seat. It was very sunny, so we were able to see the shiny pieces in the sunlight.

My husband mentioned that he might have seen some etching on this particular window. It may be possible that glass etching caused the shattering. We didn't rule out vandalism, however, we could not find any strange object in the car either.

Luckily, no one was hurt. Last night, I finally figured out how the center shoulder and lap seat-belt works and moved the baby car-seat to the center of the vehicle from the right rear passenger. Our older daughter was sitting in the right rear passenger side, the glass was all over her lap. I just could not imagine what would have happened if our youngest were still sitting at the right rear passenger side.

I wanted to share this info and see if anyone ever had a similar problem.
Just happened to me.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Happened to me about ten years ago in my Blazer. Rear window just shattered as I was driving daughter home through downtown one Saturday winter evening. Heard word that some drunk nimrods step out of bars and toss billiard balls at passing cars. Couldn't verify that was the case, though.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Happened to me about ten years ago in my Blazer. Rear window just shattered as I was driving daughter home through downtown one Saturday winter evening. Heard word that some drunk nimrods step out of bars and toss billiard balls at passing cars. Couldn't verify that was the case, though.
We had a sun roof shatter completely out in our Honda Crosstour. I wasn't driving or in the car. The sun cover was closed so the glass didn't rain in. We just assumed a rock hit it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My husband had done a some research on the cars before we made the decision on this '06 Pilot EX 2wd and we just picked it up on June 27th late afternoon.

Today we had our first trip down to Torrance with our daughters. In the mid afternoon, we were on our way driving home, all of sudden, the rear passenger side window popped, shattered, and the glass chips fell in/out of the car. The shattered glass pieces scratched both passenger door and rear fender and there were small pieces of glass all over the whole right side of the car (the front passenger floor/side of seat, the rear passenger/in the door/floor, and the cargo space).

What's really weird is that there were microscopic pieces of glass that looks like glass fiber all over the seat. It was very sunny, so we were able to see the shiny pieces in the sunlight.

My husband mentioned that he might have seen some etching on this particular window. It may be possible that glass etching caused the shattering. We didn't rule out vandalism, however, we could not find any strange object in the car either.

Luckily, no one was hurt. Last night, I finally figured out how the center shoulder and lap seat-belt works and moved the baby car-seat to the center of the vehicle from the right rear passenger. Our older daughter was sitting in the right rear passenger side, the glass was all over her lap. I just could not imagine what would have happened if our youngest were still sitting at the right rear passenger side.

I wanted to share this info and see if anyone ever had a similar problem.
That is good to know because almost every time I start my car I hear a.pop noise like somebody through something at my window on the passenger side window.now I wont be tripping when my window brakes on it's own. That.sounds like a recall should.be.done.before somebodies baby.gets.cut up.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts