Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband had done a some research on the cars before we made the decision on this '06 Pilot EX 2wd and we just picked it up on June 27th late afternoon.

Today we had our first trip down to Torrance with our daughters. In the mid afternoon, we were on our way driving home, all of sudden, the rear passenger side window popped, shattered, and the glass chips fell in/out of the car. The shattered glass pieces scratched both passenger door and rear fender and there were small pieces of glass all over the whole right side of the car (the front passenger floor/side of seat, the rear passenger/in the door/floor, and the cargo space).

What's really weird is that there were microscopic pieces of glass that looks like glass fiber all over the seat. It was very sunny, so we were able to see the shiny pieces in the sunlight.

My husband mentioned that he might have seen some etching on this particular window. It may be possible that glass etching caused the shattering. We didn't rule out vandalism, however, we could not find any strange object in the car either.

Luckily, no one was hurt. Last night, I finally figured out how the center shoulder and lap seat-belt works and moved the baby car-seat to the center of the vehicle from the right rear passenger. Our older daughter was sitting in the right rear passenger side, the glass was all over her lap. I just could not imagine what would have happened if our youngest were still sitting at the right rear passenger side.

I wanted to share this info and see if anyone ever had a similar problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oddly enough, this also happened to my neighbor in his Chevy Tracker. He was driving on the Interstate when it happened. His insurance company told him it was either road debris that hit just right OR defective glass (I guess it could also have been a combination of the two).

I'm sure it has happened to another pilot owner but I don't recall reading about it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Had a '79 Datsun 210 that did almost the same thing, when it was only 2 months old. Dealer replaced under warranty, and mentioned that he had seen it rarely before. Took me months to get all of those pieces vacuumed out.

BTW-
The side/rear glass is specially tempered so that the glass pieces will not cause injury the way plate glass shards will. That's why they break in such small, regular shaped pieces.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Happened to my mother-in-law's Ford Escape. It's not unusual.

Essentially, what happens is that a defect in the tempered glass causes a fracture to develop. Crack propagation in the glass matrix travels at around the speed of sound, so the shattering is near-explosive, with spectacular results.

This can be as a result of a defect in the glass that causes the crack to begin, or as a result of a strike by a foreign object.

It's not impossible for a rock strike to occur laterally- I have a crack in my taillamp on my Passat that struck it from approx my 7 O'clock position. It's a one-in-a-million type of shot, but it happens.

As for your scratches in your door panel, run your fingernail against them. If your nail grabs on the crack, the panel will likely need to be repainted if you want it restored. Otherwise, it could possibly be compounded/polished off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, I'm Jenn's husband, and wanted to ad to what she posted so far. Upon further inspection, I was wrong about the etching. It turned out all the windows had some sort of number "dusted" onto them. I could wipe it off with my finger. So what I saw was not etching.

Regardless of the cause of the breakage, what really scared me was the nature of the debris- microscopic shards all over the place. There is the usual gravel sized pieces everywhere, but beyond that, there are very sharp tiny pieces that you can't touch without it embedding it in your skin. We both got this stuff in our hands as we began to try to clean up. At that point we stopped. I couldn't believe my kids didn't get cut. The paint on the car is definitely damaged, although they are just small, deep, pock marks.

Now I'm worried about how the dealer will help us out.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
kevink2 said:
Hi guys, I'm Jenn's husband, and wanted to ad to what she posted so far. Upon further inspection, I was wrong about the etching. It turned out all the windows had some sort of number "dusted" onto them. I could wipe it off with my finger. So what I saw was not etching.

Regardless of the cause of the breakage, what really scared me was the nature of the debris- microscopic shards all over the place. There is the usual gravel sized pieces everywhere, but beyond that, there are very sharp tiny pieces that you can't touch without it embedding it in your skin. We both got this stuff in our hands as we began to try to clean up. At that point we stopped. I couldn't believe my kids didn't get cut. The paint on the car is definitely damaged, although they are just small, deep, pock marks.

Now I'm worried about how the dealer will help us out.
If the dealer balks at helping, immediately start asking to talk to the Honda regional representative to let them know you are serious.

·
Registered
274 Posts
jl_ss said:

If the dealer balks at helping, immediately start asking to talk to the Honda regional representative to let them know you are serious.
What does the dealer have to do with the window breaking while driving down the highway??

Roger

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Roger said:

What does the dealer have to do with the window breaking while driving down the highway??

Roger
A good dealer will not give you a hard time about it being a manufacturing defect and will help get Honda to cover it under warranty to keep you as a happy customer. A bad dealer will just say it must have been a rock - tough luck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Roger-
Maybe, just maybe, there was a defect in the window glass, or glass installation, as the car rolled down the assembly line. In my case, (see above), the dealer found a high spot in the window surround that put the glass under stress as it was installed. All it took was a warm day, in direct sunlight, to shatter the glass. It happens!

Let's not automatically assume that the vehicle owner is at fault here. Older car, maybe. But a new car.......?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do not rule out that something hit it. But tempered glass does very strange things. After 25 years in the glazing trade I have just been carrying this stuff through the shop and had it blow in my hands. also you could hit this stuff dead center with a baseball bat and it not break, but just tap the edge with a metal object and boom. Impossible to tell what happened to yours. If the glass would have stayed intact you might see an impact point.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
A few weeks after I got my xB, I was driving along and head a loud pop. I thought it might have been gravel from the tires hitting something under the car. Later, I saw what I can only describe as white powder on the right rear window.

I wiped that away, and saw scratch marks from what must have been a rock that hit the window. It hit in an area with a pillar behind it, otherwise I think it might have shattered. I can only surmise that a lawn mower or kids threw the rock.

But that leads me to think that if a rock caused the pilot's window to shatter, you'd have the rock in the car. :8:

·
Registered
808 Posts
sorry to hear about the window! :( now I'm wondering what it costs to use the same type of glass they use on the front windshield for the other windows? it breaks but stays in one piece. anyone know?

and I agree, that the dealer should replace the window, even though I don't think they're obligated too (since I haven't heard proof of a defective window). good word of mouth is probably the best advertising. :)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
5Gs said:
sorry to hear about the window! :( now I'm wondering what it costs to use the same type of glass they use on the front windshield for the other windows? it breaks but stays in one piece. anyone know?

and I agree, that the dealer should replace the window, even though I don't think they're obligated too (since I haven't heard proof of a defective window). good word of mouth is probably the best advertising. :)
I'd guess they use the "safest" glass they can. Ant that's not the side that has the radio antenna embedded, IIRC. I wonder how it would hold up with an antenna embedded?

And we all know that the window scrunch from the driver's door is caused by body flex. But I'd think that we'd have had more reports ofthis if that window shattering was from some sort of body flex. Very mysterious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everything look like it'll be alright...

I just returned from the dealer and they agreed to take care of it. They agreed it was very strange, and also concurred it could possibly happen through a defect. They will replace the glass, repaint the damaged panels, clean out the interior, and provided a rental car. They estimate a week to finish it. We still haven't found anything that might have flown into the window. Most of the glass actually fell out of the car.

I really have to give Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos, CA. a big thumbs up. From the onset of the buying process, they've been a no-nonsense, courteous, and professional dealership. The way they took care of this weird incident without batting an eyelash really says a lot. Kudos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
5Gs said:

I actually found out there are lawyers who deal with kind of accident. They seem to say that this kind of tempered glass shouldn't be used at all and that it isn't that much more expensive to use laminate all around. http://www.auto-defect-lawfirm.com/CM/PracticeAreaDescriptions/Glass-Defects.asp

Apparently only a few very high end cars have laminate all around. Interestingly, the glass in the front side windows of my Pilot is different than the glass in the rear side windows. Not sure what the difference is. When I get our Pilot back I'm planning on using an adhesive tint on the window to help hold the glass together should this happen again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
5Gs said:

They use to use that type of glass for side windows through the fifties but stopped using it when tempered safety came out. It was subject to delaminating because it was exposed to the element's when rolled down. And also laminated is also very brittle on the edges. It consists of two pieces of glass about 1/16 of an inch thick laminated with about 4 mills of vinyl. Just tap and you have a run as we call it. This type of glass can take allot of impact though. Great for windshields.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
kevink2 said:

I actually found out there are lawyers who deal with kind of accident. They seem to say that this kind of tempered glass shouldn't be used at all and that it isn't that much more expensive to use laminate all around. http://www.auto-defect-lawfirm.com/CM/PracticeAreaDescriptions/Glass-Defects.asp

Apparently only a few very high end cars have laminate all around. Interestingly, the glass in the front side windows of my Pilot is different than the glass in the rear side windows. Not sure what the difference is. When I get our Pilot back I'm planning on using an adhesive tint on the window to help hold the glass together should this happen again.
There are law firms chasing any so called "defective product" looking for a pay-day.

I think I would rather have tempered than laminated because of its hardness. Laminated film on the inside makes tempered even safer.
But it does require extra care in cleaning and will scratch as the windows are moved up and down.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts