Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The buttons on my steering wheel for cruise and stereo control are uncomfortably sharp on the underside. My hand frequently comes in contact with the underside of those buttons when I turn. Besides being uncomfortable, I find the sharp edge gives a "cheap" feel to an otherwise substantial and nice feeling leather-wrapped steering wheel. I think the edges of the buttons should be rounded off on the backside.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Does it bother you?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine is the same also...

I guess Honda will do anything to save a little weight!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I had noticed that on mine as well. Those little things that make you go crazy. But its not really a big deal though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sharp?

I just checked mine. I would not call them "sharp" IMHO.

I would think you could file them down so they were smoother. Complain to the dealer and make them do it!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Re: Sharp?

bengelking said:
I just checked mine. I would not call them "sharp" IMHO.

I would think you could file them down so they were smoother. Complain to the dealer and make them do it!
BTW what does "IMHO" mean ?

PrG

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
After some thought ...

" In My Honest Opinion "

" In My Humble Opinion "

" In My Harry Onions " :eek:

:confused:

·
Registered
481 Posts
that was bugging me a bit. especially if you use those areas of the wheel to turn. . .a bit cheap, I think.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hurts to turn

Dano said:
that was bugging me a bit. especially if you use those areas of the wheel to turn. . .a bit cheap, I think.
Yes, Dano. I use that part of the wheel to turn by putting my hand in that area and spinning it around. Maybe hurts is slightly too strong of a word, but it does feel uncomfortable and it certainly doesn't feel like $33,000 should feel. But it's more the discomfort that bugs me than the cheapness.

I like Bengelking's idea, I think I'll try to get the dealer to file it down.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've noticed the same thing.
However I would rather have sharp edged buttons than no buttons at all.
I do think they could have been better designed.

Do you think they are from another Honda vehicle and just stuck in the Pilot?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've noticed it but it's not even a problem for me. Are we just getting a bit nit picky here or is this a legitimate problem. :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: Hurts to turn

Howdy Ag said:
I use that part of the wheel to turn by putting my hand in that area and spinning it around.
:confused: Even without the buttons there, I would think that would still be an uncomfortable way to spin the steering wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, sharp edges ARE A PROBLEM

I at first was also wondering if everyone was starting to get a bit picky. Then the other day, I had to grab the steering wheel hard. It was in a turned position. Afterwards, I noticed blood dripping from a fingertip, where it caught one of the edges on the steering wheel. So now, I dont think it is all that picky. There are more sharp edges than just the buttons. IN fact there are sharp edges everwhere: the metal colored strip, the horn/ air bag cover, etc..... I compared it with my Toyota and there wasnt a sharp edge anywhere on the Toyota steering wheel. I would call the Pilot wheel poor ergonomics!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do ya'll's husbands know you're driving his pilot.......I had worse than that edgy steering wheel on my eye!!! .....love my pilot...had it out in the rain today and it was great!!!...and to top it off...Record Setting Passing Leads Aggies over Kansas, 47-22....gig'em ags!!!:9:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also LOVE my PILOT, but I also think the buttons are cheap. No this is not a major problem but hopefully Honda is monitoring this website and in the future will change this feature.
GARY

·
Registered
47 Posts
I thought the steering wheel engineer fell asleep on that one. :) Buttons are very functional, but I experience that my hand catches the back of the buttons. Not sharp, not definitely in the way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No engineer jokes allowed. We need our naps. It was productions fault. Or even better, it was that supplier. Yea, it was the supplier. I think I can pin this one on him.

Wake me when it's time to go home. I hate to work overtime.
GARY

·
Registered
166 Posts
OK, so has anyone done anything about them?

Even though my wife is the primary driver, she still lets me behind the wheel every once in awhile <VBG>, and when I do, I really find these buttons irritating.

Has anyone done anything to relieve the problem? If so, what - did you complain to the dealer, did you take a Dremel-tool to them?

For those with the service manual, are the buttons easily removed, or does it require the removal of many other parts?

Thanks in advance,
Ed F
Mundelein, IL
EX-L H-Blue
4,400 miles and counting

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sharp edges

I had a machinist friend of mine use some deburring tools and small swiss files to remove the sharp edges and corners. These worked great it take a little time but does not have quite the risk of ruin that you might have with a dremel tool. Did this on not only steering but around center console also.

I believe that the sharpness is due to the mold used to make the plastics are new. These will dull over time. This is not an excuse for Honda but I expect that it is the reason.

Dave

1 - 20 of 37 Posts