Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had an aftermarket moonroof/sunroof installed on your Pilot, I'd like to hear about it: any problems with leaking, noise, or other issues?

I have a 2012 SE. I'd like to hear from people who already have one (not the pros and cons of possibly getting one, there's plenty of those discussions here already).
Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't gotten one yet, been in an effort to be helpful:

I have been calling people for quotes this week, and since I have invested ~15 hours of research, will relay the conclusions:
1. 7 out of 10 of the threads / reviews discussions say they leak, "run" from them.
2. One said, just go for it, if it makes you happy
3. One or two represented folks who've had them (aftermarket) for 10+ years, with no problem.

If I pulled the trigger, it would be for a large rear-compartment sunroof. (The whole reason I bought a pilot was for greater headroom than my Lexus GX470, and a front sunroof would subtract that). Because of that, I'd need one with a seal tolerant of the rear roof ribs in the 2015 EX. So far, I've found "Signature" brand (fka ASC) has bendable trim that allows for ribs.

PS My quote was $2100 for the large rear sunroof with life-of-car guarantee in Dallas.

Let me know if anyone else has experiences with rear aftermarket sunroofs, or ones requiring the ribbed trim.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One other note. I've read people assert both sides of the "they weaken your roof" argument. The most credible (sounding-- I'm not a pro), including a diagram of the effective frame components, and concluded removing a big piece of the roof would have no meaningful impact.

Since I am considering adding a rooftop tent that would push the envelope on static weight capacity (600lbs), I'm weighing that factor in my analysis. Let me know if anyone has seen numbers on static weight capacity of the 2015 Pilot (I haven't been able to find).

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
What i have seen in the past is the Pilots that do have the sun roof feature added this Piece of hardware is added to the roof to support the frame where the roof is actually cut.

This in turn would prevent any loss of weight capacity I would assume . Myself hate the moon roof feature since after a while the rubber trim rots and it's $$$ to have it replaced.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts