Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new mechanic (regular one retired) replaced my front control arm bushings recently, front end aligned and tires balanced, my steering wheel was not straight, it was canted / and it shook front and rear (steering wheel and seat vibration) at all speeds.
I take it back, they realign the front and rebalance the tires, my steering wheel is now canted \. It is fine at low speeds but shakes noticeably at highway speeds now, front and rear, it is harder to steer. I take it back a 3rd time. The steering wheel is canted / again and it shakes so badly at highway speeds that it feels like I am driving on square tires, I need to constantly steer it like I am in a high wind or on a slippery road constantly having to steer it straight. Very odd feeling. I call the mechanic who said the tires are out of round, that is all that is wrong with it.
So I go to the tire place to get new tires (bought my tires there 3 years ago). They said my tires are fine, NOT out of round. They realigned the front, steering wheel is now straight --, and rebalanced my front tires. They did show me what used to be both front tires cross rotated onto the back were mildly cupped. I had good tread on all tires. They found the front motor mount and passenger side CV boot and CV joint were broken. I said it was under warranty from previous work, they said to take it back there to get it fixed and they didn't charge me. I take it back to my mechanic, my steering wheel begins to cant / and it pulls some to the right. After calling for a few days, I finally get the mechanic who said nothing is wrong with my Honda. He drove it on the highway and it drove fine, no shaking or vibration, steering was fine, he asked if I was sure I felt what I said I did. It did not drive like it had a broken motor mount or a broken CV joint.

So could it be a broken motor mount and/or CV joint? Is it tires? Is it potentially something else. I love my Honda and really can't afford another vehicle. (I also am thinking I need a new mechanic). Any suggestions? Thank you in advance

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,324 Posts
Oh brother. What a mess.

I have this awful feeling that this new mechanic really doesn’t know much at all.
The Tire shop seems to be doing a nice job.

Some first gen pilots were prone to vibration at speed. My own experience with the vibration was cured by replacing the tires.
So can I ask what make/model the tires are? How many miles on them and your Pilot.
Thanks

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,259 Posts
Get a third opinion to break the tie.

Yes, I'm sure it's a hassle, but between hassle and lack of safety, choose hassle.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think you've been very patient. I think it's time to stop.

I agree that the mechanic isn't looking good in this story. In my opinion, replacing the bushings on an LCA instead of replacing the entire LCA is malpractice - for what you paid, you could have a new third-party LCA. Steering wheel not straight after an alignment is just careless. Blaming it all on "non-round" tires without a solid basis for doing so is silly.

If you've got a dead front motor mount that's under warranty because it was replaced recently, that smells fishy, too.

Find a new mechanic that knows something about fixing Hondas. Maybe your tire guys can recommend someone.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
103 Posts
Yeah, there's a difference between a shade-tree mechanic and a shad-y mechanic. I fear you've found one of the latter, and should cut your losses with that one. Maybe look into filing a BBB complaint after getting your problems resolved with a better mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts