Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2012 honda pilot It began to shake on the right side so took it in for 4 new tires and got it inspected. Found nothing. Continued to shake until you go 75 mph then it stops. It is shaking so bad now and we have snow but just that issue. I've had it in the shop several times and they cannot find anything. Help!!!

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
How many miles does the vehicle have? Are the CV axles original? When worn, these can cause shaking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
175k miles. It's been in the shop a few times and they keep saying that there's nothing they can find. They've done a rotation and lifted it to check

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Does it change any while turning, particularly any noises? Does it reduce or go away when you lift off the throttle? First is outer CV joints, second is inner drive joints. Both on the drive axles.

Wheel bearings can cause that, but typically get noisy at the same time. Noise gets louder as you go faster, but doesn't change pitch.

What did the tires look like? Failing shock absorbers leave a series of cup-like wear spots along the tread either side of center.

The compliance bushings, same as the rear support bushings on the lower control arms, can cause your symptom, although there are other suspension symptoms you'd likely notice first.

Did the new tires balance well? Particularly looking for a bent rim. The speed tells me there's a balance issue, but the fact that it goes away at 75 is a little confusing. Imbalances usually get serious at about 60-65, and don't get a lot better.

Look at the rears too. Vibrations felt through the seat rather than the feet and steering wheel can easily be from the back.

----
By 175k, your car is at mid to end of life on its second set of shock absorbers. Sometimes lower-cost options are chosen and the payback is reduced life expectancy. Look hard at the dampers for oil leakage or other failure signs.

Has the car ever been in an accident? Hard to align? Just curious.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I had shaking on a 2012 Crosstour as you described. I had no visible evidence. The rubber boots on the CV axle were not leaking out grease. I didnt have the pop sound that worn CV axles can give you in a tight turn, but I had the distinctive warble, a repeating lurching forward when turning.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
And the subframe mounts? Stable?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sounds kinda like CV axles. I think I need new ones too because I have a mild throttle dependent vibration between 70 - 80 that is not related to wheels / tires or brakes. I can’t tell what side it is. My wife isn’t interested in letting me fix it though since we plan to say goodbye to the Pilot within the next 6 months or so and to replace both sides is in the 700-800 range for new parts. I’ve only got 68k miles on mine. Probably vcm hammered the joints.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Never heard back on this one if it hot fixed or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts