Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Michigan..which get's pretty darn cold. The servicing is listed as either "severe" or "normal". If you read the drivers manual, there's an implication that the definition is less based on climate, but more on driving style:

i.e. 1)Short mileage drives under 10 miles in 30degree conditions= severe schedule.

2)longer drives regardless of temperature = normal.

When I went the dealer, he immediately said that Michigan requires the "severe" servicing protocol (i.e. oil change every 3.5k miles etc vs. the 7.5k oil change).

anyone else in this area or in the northeast or midwest following the normal service routine? or are you all following the "severe" schedule.
thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
servicing

I too live in MI and the service manager said because I live in MI I would need to follow the severe service schedule. I have owned 8 new cars and never followed the severe schedule. We do live in the sticks so all of our trips are at least 20 miles so the car does get fully warmed up before being shut down again.

I think the dealers know that they will twice the dollars out of your pocket if they just state "follow the severe because......" I have no plans to follow the severe schedule based on our weather. Our Pilot is in the garage every night and it never gets below 40 in there no matter how cold it is outside.

·
Registered
46 Posts
servicing

I should add that we normally get at least 150,000 miles on all of our cars without any major repairs. We normally trade due to being tired of a car rather than it being worn out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Dealer told me New England considered "severe". Changing oil every 3750 (oil is cheap). Will do VTM at 15k. Don't take too many "short trips" around town & minimal towing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts