Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Wanted to ask what you guys would do. While the service advisor was driving my car, he pulled into a bike lane and almost crushed a bicycle rider. Luckily nobody was hurt but the bike rider ran into the side of the car.

I was not in the car when this happened but was watching from the sidewalk. The service advisor who was driving stated they would be sending in my car for detailing the next time I come in for service. Will this get the scratch out that runs alongside the car?

What would you do?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi All,

Wanted to ask what you guys would do. While the service advisor was driving my car, he pulled into a bike lane and almost crushed a bicycle rider. Luckily nobody was hurt but the bike rider ran into the side of the car.

I was not in the car when this happened but was watching from the sidewalk. The service advisor who was driving stated they would be sending in my car for detailing the next time I come in for service. Will this get the scratch out that runs alongside the car?

What would you do?
I’d probably have requested a loaner vehicle while they took care of it that day. Unless you have it in writing that they will have it fixed to your satisfaction. If it didn’t leave a dent and it’s not too deep, the scratch will likely come out. If the detailing doesn’t take care of it and you can still see the scratch after, then certainly have them refinish the area. Just my two cents as I’ve had light scratches buffed out. However, mine were very light scratches that I couldn’t see a differentiation between scratch and paint in terms of color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
If the dealer has an actual, legit body shop onsite then I'd probably let them repair it. If they DO NOT, they are going to call a mobile body shop business who will do the repair in the parking lot. This you DO NOT want. They will do the cheapest job ever.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
You need to get in writing acknowledgement of the damage, location of damage and length of the scratch. I personally would probably take care of taking the picture and sending it to the advisor and a higher level manager before leaving the dealership. I'm OK waiting for the repair as long as I have the backup needed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would want this taken care of immediately, and I would want a work order in writing. If you wait a few months, things happen. People forget...staffing changes...etc.

If it's a deep scratch, no amount of detailing will remove it, and it may require new paint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car is currently at the dealer service station for some fluid changes (engine oil/rear differential/transfer fluid) along with fuel injector replacement. He said I would need to leave the car an extra day for the detailing service since it was drizzling. He said they use a 3rd party. I needed the car today so I retrieved the car. He said to bring it in another day when the weather is nicer. I asked what does this detailing service normally cost and he said $130.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The car is currently at the dealer service station for some fluid changes (engine oil/rear differential/transfer fluid) along with fuel injector replacement. He said I would need to leave the car an extra day for the detailing service since it was drizzling. He said they use a 3rd party. I needed the car today so I retrieved the car. He said to bring it in another day when the weather is nicer. I asked what does this detailing service normally cost and he said $130.
Hope Your not paying the $130 for their stupidity .

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Absolutely not! I will make time to bring the car in for this service next week. If the scratch is not completely fixed, I will escalate it to senior management at the dealership. I already have a case with Honda Corporate. Have I mentioned I hate dealing with the stealership already? At least the bicycle rider wasn't seriously hurt.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, a detailer isn't going to be able to level the clear enough to get rid of it. I would just make sure they aren't planning on letting someone loose on your car with a bottle of touch up paint and an aggressive compound.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail...
Absolutely. If you can feel it, get an independent shop with a good I-CAR rating (something I learned about here just yesterday) to give you an estimate for a complete repair and take that to the dealer. Detailing is great, as far as it goes, but on a brand new car you're looking for better than "hard to see from 10 feet".

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Lemme guess. Was this the service advisor's first comment? :)

Take photos (post here), and then go get a second opinion from someone who does that kind of thing professionally in a place where a bit of drizzle won't compromise the quality of his work.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
Give them a chance to fix it first before you get ready to fight them. They may surprise you!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Give them a chance to fix it first before you get ready to fight them. They may surprise you!
While I'm also normally in the "let's all be reasonable first" camp, the fact that the guy that was at fault is pulling the "it'll buff right out" card, offering a basic detail job ($130 "service") on a multi-panel scratch on a brand new car makes me think about playing defense.

Maybe it really is just a light scuff. But if the OP can feel it with his fingernail, the mobile detailer guy isn't going to bring it back to as good as it was. It might be pretty good, but in this case, I think it should be "good as new".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts