Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

2012 EX-L

I am planning to do a timing belt service soon and a video I watched showed they also replaced the serpentine belt tensioner at the same time. Is this necessary and if so, which brand is ok to buy?

RockAuto has DAYCO, INA, AC DELCO, Continental, and Gates. From $52 to $163. The Honda OEM Part # is 31170-RV0-A01 and it's about $263. This one doesn't have the little shock absorber like our 2007 Odyssey. I guess it's a spring one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Hi guys,

2012 EX-L

I am planning to do a timing belt service soon and a video I watched showed they also replaced the serpentine belt tensioner at the same time. Is this necessary and if so, which brand is ok to buy?

RockAuto has DAYCO, INA, AC DELCO, Continental, and Gates. From $52 to $163. The Honda OEM Part # is 31170-RV0-A01 and it's about $263. This one doesn't have the little shock absorber like our 2007 Odyssey. I guess it's a spring one?

Thanks!
I went 180k on my first serpentine belt tensioner. How many miles do you have?
Yes it's spring loaded.
INA has made tensioners as factory parts for years. If I bought one, I'd go INA.
I wouldn't buy Gates.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would check the pulley bearings when it's off. I found my idler was shot and I found a replacement on Rock Auto for $10 - easy to replace.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
I would check the pulley bearings when it's off. I found my idler was shot and I found a replacement on Rock Auto for $10 - easy to replace.
The 2012 has a double pulley tensioner. One of which is not easy to remove if not at all. But ya, I wouldn't replace my old tensioner if it still sounds smooth. If the bearings sound dry, I'd pull it like a bad tooth. 😏

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks guys. I'll give the pulleys a turn when the belt is off and if they're smooth, I'll just leave it alone. I have about 116k miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts