Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just got to say that I am shocked by the number of people complaining about problems with their 3rd gen Pilots. Are these complaints limited to these forums or what? Are there Monday and Friday Pilot issues?? My 19 Pilot while not perfect has been great. It is a solid vehicle with none of these issues people are reporting. Yes I get a hard shift once in a while and the sunroof takes a certain technique to close it but seriously I am shocked by the stuff I’m reading on this forum. I think my Pilot is an excellent vehicle and I have owned many types and brands previously of which none compare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am with you, Autofan242. I have a 2017 Pilot EX-AWD and have had no issues with it whatsoever (knock on wood). It has 90k miles and believe it or not still has the factory brake pads!!!!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Forums, especially those for non-enthusiast vehicles like a Pilot, are places where most people come to complain and problem solve. While I would avoid a 1st year model for pretty much any brand I wouldn't hesitate to get a 3rd gen Pilot. I would also do my research on some of the common issues and try to head them off before they become issues.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My 2 cents, but I think many of the complaints come from longtime Honda owners who feel like this is the least "bulletproof" Honda they've owned.

In comparison to all other brands and makes I don't think the Pilot is worse, just about average...maybe even above average in reliability, but worse than the long-term historical Honda average.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is this the first car forum you've visited? They're all like this -- usually worse. Every one of them is full of people that are convinced they've purchased the biggest POS out there, because they experienced a problem. There are tons of these vehicles out on the road that are having zero problems, but you're viewing a (probably nonrepresentative) sample.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
My 2 cents, but I think many of the complaints come from longtime Honda owners who feel like this is the least "bulletproof" Honda they've owned.

In comparison to all other brands and makes I don't think the Pilot is worse, just about average...maybe even above average in reliability, but worse than the long-term historical Honda average.

And don't think it's just new Honda vehicles I don't like because of long term reliability.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Is this the first car forum you've visited? They're all like this -- usually worse. Every one of them is full of people that are convinced they've purchased the biggest POS out there, because they experienced a problem. There are tons of these vehicles out on the road that are having zero problems, but you're viewing a (probably nonrepresentative) sample.
TBH this one hasn't been too bad. There was a definite surge in "I just bought this piece of crap and am trading it in!" the first couple model years of the 3rd gen but that has really quieted down. We see some repetitive things but there have been some unique problem solving adventures and just enough people who want to do something interesting (like a member wants to upgrade his 3rd gen front side glass to the acoustic glass from the Touring and Elite trims) that it keeps the forum fresh IMO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The VCM damaging the torque converter is a very concerning issue due to the expense of fixing it, should it happen outside of warranty. About half the complaints and discussion revolve around that issue and VCM disabling. I will say it worries me when I think about my 2016. I had the prematurely worn transmission fluid changed under warranty due to the RPM fluctuation issue. Its stable now but feel I should go VCM disable route soon before it returns. Just makes me uneasy to have to mod a Honda so the transmission will last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
The VCM damaging the torque converter is a very concerning issue due to the expense of fixing it, should it happen outside of warranty. About half the complaints and discussion revolve around that issue and VCM disabling. I will say it worries me when I think about my 2016. I had the prematurely worn transmission fluid changed under warranty due to the RPM fluctuation issue. Its stable now but feel I should go VCM disable route soon before it returns. Just makes me uneasy to have to mod a Honda so the transmission will last the life of the vehicle.
So the F150 Ecoboost owners who put on catch cans to save their engines are wrong? Or the owners with Chevy and Ram versions of cylinder deactivation who disable it are wrong because they don't want the risk of rebuilding the engine.

Here's the thing, this isn't some safety system that people are disabling. It is a system designed to help increase the manufacturer's overall CAFE rating in their strict testing environment and then they back out and retrofit ways to make it smooth enough for people to buy the vehicle. Disabling this is in no way something you should be uneasy about because you are prioritizing longevity of the vehicle over the (to some people questionable) fuel economy benefits.

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
19 Posts
I've owned 15 or so cars over the years and always find a good forum when I buy something new. Of all the cars I've owned, this forum is definitely the quietest in terms of complaints and problems. I was really surprised at how few quirks the Pilots appear to have - especially coming from the world of Subarus. You'll always see way more issues when a new model is introduced, but now that we're at the tail end of this generation of Pilot most things are pretty well worked out. VCM issues aside, I'm confident that a late model Pilot is a well engineered platform that will easily hit 200k miles. The J series engines, while getting long in the tooth, are very reliable with VCM disabled and I think the 9 speed ZF transmissions will hold up over the long term as long as they're maintained.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,950 Posts
I don't own a 3rd Gen.

So there is that LOL.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
28 Posts
cintocrunch - I'm in no way saying it is wrong to disable VCM. I plan to take the advice of you and many on here and do it - just took a while to wrap my mind around the fact that I am buying an inexpensive add on mod to improve Honda reliability.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
cintocrunch - I'm in no way saying it is wrong to disable VCM. I plan to take the advice of you and many on here and do it - just took a while to wrap my mind around the fact that I am buying an inexpensive add on mod to improve Honda reliability.
Nothing wrong for making sure you fully understand it first and not just blindly believing a bunch of weirdos on some forum...

·
Registered
231 Posts
TBH this one hasn't been too bad. There was a definite surge in "I just bought this piece of crap and am trading it in!" the first couple model years of the 3rd gen but that has really quieted down. We see some repetitive things but there have been some unique problem solving adventures and just enough people who want to do something interesting (like a member wants to upgrade his 3rd gen front side glass to the acoustic glass from the Touring and Elite trims) that it keeps the forum fresh IMO.
Agreed. My favorite is when people do the nostalgic look backs to the 80s and 90s and talk about how bulletproof cars were back then. Either I bought the wrong cars back then, or I call BS. Cars are more reliable now than they've ever been, and go much longer with less maintenance. The Pilot, and Hondas generally, are no exception.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Agreed. My favorite is when people do the nostalgic look backs to the 80s and 90s and talk about how bulletproof cars were back then. Either I bought the wrong cars back then, or I call BS. Cars are more reliable now than they've ever been, and go much longer with less maintenance. The Pilot, and Hondas generally, are no exception.
I dont disagree, but what I dont like is so much computerization, sensors and solenoids that when it fails your stranded.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You said it! Ah the good ole days....my 1st car was a 1980 Cutlass Diesel. Looked great...absolute pile of crap! Learned my father isn't so dumb after all - he warned me not to buy it! Still fixed it for me several times though! GOD REST HIS SOUL!!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,950 Posts
A Cutlass Diesel?

Reactions: slimbobaggins

·
Registered
21 SE awd in ssm
8 Posts
just because its so quite, the adhesive on my drivers side mirror failed. first noticed driving home from dealer as vibration in the mirror. thought it would last to first oil change but one day it was hanging by the wires. my fix failed i think cuz it still has a vibration blur. though way less. if thats not enough my tires are at 37psi. grrrrrr............ this is my last honda. not

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
72E00751-3732-409F-BF1F-B9C0FA6618C6.jpeg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts