Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that the seatbelt, when released, strikes the plastic on the lower portion of the door pillar? It has been doing this, apparently, for quite some time as I've not driven ours much. My wife and daughter spend most of the time in it and it happens on both sides.

Nothing serious but the plastic does show some serious scratches.

·
Registered
964 Posts
This is a common problem. You can probably find a few threads where this is discussed if you search for "Pillar". Some owners are reporting that their dealer replaced, or would replace the pillars under warrenty. Other dealers have not been as nice. wwong has applied some 3M tape to his pillars in an attempt to protect them.

I have the dings in the pillars as well as a couple scratches on the dash. I think the plastic is a little softer than most other vehicles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, only found a single instance that talked about other issues and mentioned this as an "also noted" issue. I was looking for seatbelt and nick instead of pillar before and found nothing of similar reference.

Almost time for the first oil change. I'll have my wife show them when it is in for that.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Thanks riseboi, I just searched myself and can't find any thread either. The on you pointed out was the one I was thinking about.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I was looking for.

Thanks! At least I now know that my wife, who is sometimes careless, is not completely at fault.

(ouch! speaks over shoulder) Dear, quit hitting me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
in my experience. most of the problems with the nicking are caused by people pushing the button and letting the belt fly. i've seen holes worn in leather because of this. i always ask the driver to show me whats happening when a problem like this arises, at least that way we can verify who's fault it is.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I'd say it's a combination of a rapid retractor and carelessness. While I don't let my belt fly, people who ride with me do. With one guy, the buckle sometimes hits the glass. I found a subtle way to talk to him about it, and it worked for a few days. Then, right back to let her rip, as it were.

Buckles don't ding pillars, people do. (I hope Charleton Heston forgives me for ripping off the NRA slogan.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seems to me there is a sharp molding edge on the jamb side of the buckle that could inflict damage on the plastic. I took some fine sandpaper and smoothed this out on all my buckles.

·
Registered
145 Posts
RLumpy said:
Seems to me there is a sharp molding edge on the jamb side of the buckle that could inflict damage on the plastic. I took some fine sandpaper and smoothed this out on all my buckles.
Does it seem to have helped?

--Bret

·
Registered
115 Posts
chip said:
in my experience. most of the problems with the nicking are caused by people pushing the button and letting the belt fly. i've seen holes worn in leather because of this. i always ask the driver to show me whats happening when a problem like this arises, at least that way we can verify who's fault it is.
It is happening to out Pilot also and we don't let the belts fly. Any strike is enough to nick it. The plastic is too soft.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe it is the hard plastic of the seatbelt buckle that is causing the problem after closer examination.

Here's my pillar. It is soft, like almost a putty finish. I can scratch it with my finger nail.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a picture of the back of the seatbelt with a very sharp edge. The plastic is very hard, harder than the pillar plastic by a long shot.

It will nick the pillars in a test release. I don't think the metal of the seatbelt is the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had to file it with a metal file to get it knocked down. Then I hit it with some 600 sandpaper to clean it up.

In a test release, it appears to be better although the softness of the plastic is still the major problem.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts