Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Pilot and I would like to find a way to disable the automatic seat belt chime. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The actual "beeper" sound emitter is shared by the parking brake reminder, key-in reminder, lights-on reminder, and of course the seat-belt reminder. Removing the beeper sound emitter will eliminate all those warning sounds, but leaves the dash indicator light for the belt.

The actual switches for the seat-belt buckles are part of the warning system that triggers the warning sound, but first the switch circuits pass through the SRS controller for the airbags. The switches depend on a ground connection with switch-closed to indicate unbuckled status. If you lift the ground connection from the seat belt buckle, it will no longer give you the warning. But... The intensity of the airbag deployment is controlled by the weight of the passenger, and whether the person in the seat is buckled in. "fooling" the system into thinking the driver is buckled in correctly reduces the effectiveness of the SRS deployment in an accident.

----

Since you are a Capt, I don't need to remind you how critically important the seat belts are to survival in an accident. There's a pretty good reason why the indicator system is there, and that it continues to annoy you until you relent and buckle up. I've had the dubious honor of peeling pieces of victims out of cars after an unbuckled accident. It stays with you. Of course there are people who will make it through life without needing seat belts. Right up to the time they don't.

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Dr Bob. I appreciate the information you shared and agree with you about the vital importance of buckling up. It is for a particular purpose I would like to avoid the seat belt alarm Which will not appreciably increase any danger to driver, or passenger.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Best way to disable the seat belt alarm is to fasten the belt. If alarm keeps sounding, it means either driver or passenger are not buckled. Meaning if car begins to move, they will be in danger. Care to elaborate on the reason? Even if you regularly put some heavy object on passenger seat, you can still buckle it. So much less chance of getting smacked in the head by said object in a side impact. I have not peeled victims out of cars, but I did see a girl go through windshield and crash head-first into a concrete divider. I saw her father bawling his eyes out.
Also, if anything happens and forensics determine that seat belt system has been tampered with, you might face serious consequences, such as insurance refusing liability coverage (or worse).

·
Registered
102 Posts
It only annoys me when I pull into my neighborhood or a parking lot when I am out shopping and take my belt off early. It's so damn loud, I would love to be able to make it quieter or just eliminate it.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Dear doctor: It hurts when I do THIS.

Answer: Don't do THIS anymore.

Odd noises like the chime bothering you when you undo the belt prematurely (THIS)?.

Just curious....

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I have a 2014 Pilot and I would like to find a way to disable the automatic seat belt chime. Anyone have any ideas?
On a '11 Subaru OB I was able to silence that loud annoying nanny but it required a crazy amount of click>unclick of the seatbelt at a fast steady rate with key in and engine off. Can't say the trick works for Hondas but thats all I got. Post if you can find that electronic buzzer as putting a piece of tape over it might be enough. My '03+'05 forever Toyotas just silently flash....

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Dear doctor: It hurts when I do THIS.

Answer: Don't do THIS anymore.

Odd noises like the chime bothering you when you undo the belt prematurely (THIS)?.

Just curious....
Yeah Doc, but I like to do THIS. :ROFLMAO:
Lots of people like to do thing like THIS until it hurts. No complaints until then. THIS probably doesn't bother you enough.

Pound your toe with a hammer until you no longer notice that headache. Headache solved! :D

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
256 Posts
Dr Bob in my "past life"(the 1980s) I was a wrecker driver in the Chicago area and trust me I saw plenty a circular spider webbing imprinted in windshields that I will wear my seatbelt state or federal law nothwithstanding.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
Seat belts aren’t there to save lives. Seat belts are there so the ambulance driver doesn’t have to search for the bodies.

The above P.S.A. Was brought to but the A.D.A. (Ambulance Drivers Association of America)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts