Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the Sears 20 cubic ft cargo carrier? I was planning on purchasing the Thule Excursion or Thule Cascade 15, but just saw an ad for the Sears unit for only $154 (about 1/2 the cost of the Thule). I only plan on using the thing a couple times a year.
It looks fairly rugged (ABS material) and would attach to my Yakima rack.
(By the way, does anyone else feel instant terror when the old station wagon in front of them on the highway has one of those older Sear's boxes bungied to the roof ?)

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a Sears 15. If you are only using it a couple of times a year - go for it. I also looked at the Thule and Yakima boxes, and the premium just wasn't worth it for me.

My only gripe is this - it uses lots of bolts to attach to your crossbars. This is fine if you are only planning on using the thing once in a while, but can be a pain in the butt if you are constantly switching things around. I use the 15 mostly on my Subaru, and I leave it permanently attached the Box to the crossbars because it's easier to remove the whole rig rather than taking the box on and off the crossbars.

The construction is pretty solid - the box survived a smashing into my garage once when I forgot it was on top of the car (tired after a long road trip). A bit of banging from the inside and the dents resolved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had the Sears carrier for about 10 years. Don't know the particular model number but it's the bigger one. I typically use it about twice a year and it's held up pretty well. The mounting kit for the cross bars is a bit of pain since there 8 bolts to tighten and on the pilot it's takes some streching to reach some of them. Not really a big deal since it goes on at the start of a trip and comes off at the end. Other than that I had no problems mounting it on the Pilot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts