Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Sea Foam for Honda Pilot with 100500 miles

372 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  retiredPilot
Seeking sage advise from the many wise and experienced Pilot mechanics. Several GM/Ford truck owners and "shade tree" mechanics state this is an excellent product and I would benefit from application. Any thoughts or experience with Sea Foam is valued and appreciated. BTW: full disclosure, I do keep this Honda well serviced, however, I have not removed the VCM nor replaced the Timing Belt/Tuneup suggested at seven years or 105,000 miles. (has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned, best as an old guy can recall)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/direction.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
368 Posts
IMO, a healthy maintained engine should not need any sort of additive to stay in good shape. I've never used any additives in my Odyssey and nearly 110k miles later it's in fantastic condition. And although my 2012 Accord V6 is quite far away from that mileage, at least so far it's been just as solid with no additives.

Spend your time and money on disabling VCM and getting that timing belt done instead. Both are some of the best things you can do for a J series engine. A good time to try using some Seafoam in the fuel tank and/or oil would be after disabling VCM. Do that along with a few wide open throttle pulls on the freeway, and that will help clear up any carbon buildup from VCM operation. A few WOT pulls is never a bad thing every once in a while, just make sure you wait until the engine is at operating temperature before you do so.

Reactions: BigMatt

· Registered
901 Posts
I am as skeptical of "snake oil" products as anyone. I bought a can of SeaFoam to try it as a solvent for cleaning clogged EGR passages (it was lousy for that job). I figured I had nothing to lose and shot the rest of the can into the intake.

I don't have data, but I think it helped both fuel economy and smooth running.

While I agree completely with...

IMO, a healthy maintained engine should not need any sort of additive to stay in good shape.
... it's a cheap and easy experiment. Try it and post what you think.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
368 Posts
I am as skeptical of "snake oil" products as anyone. I bought a can of SeaFoam to try it as a solvent for cleaning clogged EGR passages (it was lousy for that job). I figured I had nothing to lose and shot the rest of the can into the intake.

I don't have data, but I think it helped both fuel economy and smooth running.
If it did, it's probably nothing that a lead foot on the highway couldn't have helped.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,994 Posts
My priority would be number one to install an Aisin timing belt kit (TKH-002) from RockAuto along with serpentine belt replacement. Nothing wrong with adding fuel treatment (injector or fuel system cleaner) to gasoline, But to prolong the life of your engine, I’d disable the VCM ASAP.
Other engine maintenance Id do…
This is my quick maintenance list to keep a Honda V6 engine running smoothly….
  • Disable the VCM
  • Air filter new/clean installed correctly box sealed properly
  • No cracks in intake tube, inspect in groves closely, clamps tight
  • Clean the MAF
  • Inspect throttle body for debris or excessive grim buildup, clean and do throttle relearn if needed.
  • Replace PCV valve
  • Spark plugs new/clean replace every 100k miles, NGK Laser Iridium only
  • No oil in spark plug tubes, replace valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals if oil is present
  • Coils test fire, replace any oil soaked coil boots, use only NTK, Denso or OEM as replacement
  • Be diligent in replacing O2 sensors if O2 sensor trouble codes should happen
  • Replace EGR valve and or clean with passages/pipe if high mileage with unexplained rough idle (last and if needed)
  • On time oil changes using a quality full synthetic 0w20 engine oil with a medium < oil filter, no extended performance or semi blend oil
  • Use top tier 87 octane fuel or use fuel system or injector cleaner with unbranded
  • After the above is in good order, take the vehicle out on the highway for some extended periods of highway speed drives to burn off carbon deposits.

Reactions: WiiMaster

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks and appreciation, now only if I had the tools and expertise to complete this work. Always amazed by men as yourselves that can complete this type of automotive repair. Once again, my sincere appreciation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts