Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is old news:

I took my pilot in for another attempt at solving the dreaded scrunch. They've tried silicone and adjusting the door catch....to no avail. Finally American Honda just said the scrunch was normal. Whatever.

So lo and behold this time the tech told me that AH had just released a TSB for the scrunch. Suppposedly new door seals are available. Mine are on order. We'll see.

Dallas

·
Registered
311 Posts
New Door Gaskets

A while back someone having this problem indicated his dealer ordered a "new" (and thought to be different from the original) set of door gaskets. I do not recall seeing any subsequent post on the outcome nor have I been able to find the original post.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
silver stars

seadog, just noticed your sig file and wondered what the "Silver Stars" are?

:confused:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Colorider - They are the Sylvania "Silver Star" headlight lamps that some members have recently indicated are failing prematurely.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
seadog said:
Colorider - They are the Sylvania "Silver Star" headlight lamps that some members have recently indicated are failing prematurely.
Oh :25: those Silver Stars!!! I should have remembered!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Anyone got a copy of the TSB?

Anyone know where we can get a copy of the TSB? Maybe Tim or Admin? Would be great if someone could post it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
See links I posted awhile back concerning my scrunch problem: http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/s...52&perpage=15&highlight=pilot4me&pagenumber=2

View the two post for the Factory Fail Code and my follow-up post concerning my modifications.

To date I have no scrunch because of PVC Closed Cell Weatherseal Tape 3/8" x 3/16" x 17' I purchased from Home Depot. I bought gray color and put it on the metal piece of the door because my Pilot is Silver. Other color Pilots should consider black weatherseal.

·
Registered
920 Posts
All we need is the TSB, which will list the new part numbers-

·
Registered
316 Posts
pilot4me said:
See links I posted awhile back concerning my scrunch problem: http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/s...52&perpage=15&highlight=pilot4me&pagenumber=2

View the two post for the Factory Fail Code and my follow-up post concerning my modifications.

To date I have no scrunch because of PVC Closed Cell Weatherseal Tape 3/8" x 3/16" x 17' I purchased from Home Depot. I bought gray color and put it on the metal piece of the door because my Pilot is Silver. Other color Pilots should consider black weatherseal.
So let me get this straight... Even after they replaced the door seals you still had to put weather strip tape to get rid of the annoying scrunch?

Sounds like another post symptom of SARS...
Scrunch After Replacing Seals

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, you are correct nighthawk. Still had to put the weather stripping on the doors. The problem is the door seals are not thick enough are the door itself is not big enough. Either way... Honda is not going to fix the problem.

Choose your method that pleases you and stop the scrunch... I mean stop the SARS...

Weather stripping works for me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
pilot4me said:
Yes, you are correct nighthawk. Still had to put the weather stripping on the doors. The problem is the door seals are not thick enough are the door itself is not big enough. Either way... Honda is not going to fix the problem.

Choose your method that pleases you and stop the scrunch... I mean stop the SARS...

Weather stripping works for me.
I sure hope Honda fixes the problem. Their reputation seems to be on the line lately. They will soon lose the main reason that they have so many loyal customers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm having a little trouble finding a discription of the now famous "Scrunch". Could someone help? Thanks..

I guess it gets old hearing this over and over, but honda-pilot.org is great! The Pilot online community is outstanding. I didn't realize what I was getting into when I bought mine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry but I don't have a copy of the TSB. I sure hope it works because I will sell the Pilot if it doesn't.

The "scrunch" is a shuffling sound made by the doors shimming and the rubber gaskets rubbing against each other. The sound resembles a cellophane schrunching noise. OR lightly and quickly rub your palms together......THAT's the sound.

Plus I have a much louder sound from the right rear door that I suspected was the rear suspension noise others have mentioned, but the tech said it was the door.

We'll see how it goes.

Dallas

·
Registered
8 Posts
i bet if you opened the door and put your knee on the inside where the frame of the window meets the door and flexed the top of the frame a bit the scrunch would go away....

this is a legitimate problem, most of the stuff i see is just complaints though. people seem to think they bought a bentley most of the time.......

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
chip said:
this is a legitimate problem, most of the stuff i see is just complaints though. people seem to think they bought a bentley most of the time.......

Well I "seem" to think I bought a Honda, but it sure doesn't sound like one.

Dallas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hmmm, still trying to recreate the sounds in my head, I think I may know what everyone is complaining about. What about a silicon emulsion spray like Wynn's sprayed on the seals? I've used this with success on squeeky door seals in the past. Maybe I'm waaaay off base. I'm just cruising the forums to see what the big problems are before purchasing a Pilot, which we WERE going to do in May. After reading some of the things under the Problems forum I'm debating whether or not to wait 'til the second production year.

G

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
chip said:
i bet if you opened the door and put your knee on the inside where the frame of the window meets the door and flexed the top of the frame a bit the scrunch would go away....

This used to be done on older cars. I would suggest you roll the window down first before you "flex" too much.

Good luck!

·
Registered
486 Posts
No scrunch

I don't have the scrunch- 7k miles so far. I have plenty of other noises, though.

- wind noise
- gas sloshing noise
- AC compressor startup noise
- brake clanking noise
- moving seat noise

I, too, expected better from Honda. My '93 Accord was rock solid. No noise, no problems, no nothing.

·
Registered
307 Posts
my scrunch went away during the cold winter months, and has been much quieter, dare I say less freequent as well with the spring warm up , keeping my fingers crossed that my Indiana winter fixed it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts