Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Pilot in for its first oil change yesterday (4500 miles), and asked dealer if they could redo my silicon spray as the drivers door scrunch is returning.

The guy said he could spray it (headed out with a can) but that a more permanent fix is on the way. Said Honda is well aware of the problem ("we're getting lots of complaints"), and they are working on it. Said to call him in few weeks to see if there's a fix available.

Does that sound promising? (Meanwhile, that silicon spray did NOTHING...I don't know what they did the first time but it worked a lot better).

Diane

·
Registered
152 Posts
Man I hope so. Keep us posted...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Haven't been siliconed, but got the scrunch. Keeping the radio turned up until the fix is ready. . .don't like the idea of silicone on the rubber seals, seems wrong.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I don't think I have heard the scrunch yet on my SS Pilot but would certainly be interested in knowing what fix Honda comes up with. Maybe I should check with my local dealer as well just to see if they come up with a consistent story/theory if they have heard something similar from Honda.

Just for my benefit, how would you describe the scrunch ? Its some sound from the drivers side window - right ? What does it sound like ? Maybe someone has already described it before. I should really do a search. Just being lazy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scrunch -- (n) a sound originating from the driver's side window or door seal of the 2003 Honda Pilot, similar to the sound made when "scrunching" a piece of plastic wrap. In my car, the sound began in the top corner of the window glass, and has now moved into the top of the door seal itself. I don't usually hear it on perfectly smooth roads, but it can be heard on slightly bumpy or irregular surfaces.

Sound can be replicated and generated by pushing on the window glass or the door frame.

Perhaps it is caused by weak door hinges as someone on this board speculated.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks TopMomm

Doesn't look I have noticed that sound on mine yet but will keep an eye (or ear) on it.

TopMomm said:
Scrunch -- (n) a sound originating from the driver's side window or door seal of the 2003 Honda Pilot, similar to the sound made when "scrunching" a piece of plastic wrap. In my car, the sound began in the top corner of the window glass, and has now moved into the top of the door seal itself. I don't usually hear it on perfectly smooth roads, but it can be heard on slightly bumpy or irregular surfaces.

Sound can be replicated and generated by pushing on the window glass or the door frame.

Perhaps it is caused by weak door hinges as someone on this board speculated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, talked to the service manager today (read my Idle and oil post to see how that went)...

But while I had him on the phone, thought I'd ask him about the scrunch. The service rep had told me that Honda was aware of the problem and was working on a permanent fix...told me to call him back in about a month.

Well, the service manager didn't have a clue about the scrunch, said he hadn't heard of it, and hadn't been made aware of any fix down the pike. Said he'd check with his tech guy (the same guy who told me that Honda recommended 5W30 for Pilots, not 5W20) and see where he had gotten his information.

Talked to him about 11 a.m., and by the close of business, had yet to hear from him again.

BTW, the silicon spray they used this time actually made my scrunch worse...or else the first stuff has worn off completely. I'd forgotten how extremely annoying it is....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks TopMomm

Thanks for the input. I have been amazed at how many report this as minor and not a bother. I am also thankful for this site, and others that allow us to learn that we are not alone. I will be working on a self-fix this weekend and let you know the results. I do know one thing. Cleaning, as opposed to lubing, has produced better results for me. The clean surface provides more traction for the gasket and less slippage and less noise. Cleaning the mass of silicone is not easy or accomplished in one try. Thanks for your information.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I was actually thinking that you might want to go in the opposite direction. Instead of lubricating it, why not powder it? A little bit of baby powder or something similar should smooth out a hard friction point. I don't have the squeaking problem to begin with, otherwise I would try it out myself and let you know. Any takers?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks xyzzy

Thanks for the idea. I had two in mind that I will be trying this weekend. I will actually try yours on my imminent trip to central MS. Goodweekend to all. BP

·
Registered
39 Posts
xyzzy said:
I was actually thinking that you might want to go in the opposite direction. Instead of lubricating it, why not powder it? A little bit of baby powder or something similar should smooth out a hard friction point. I don't have the squeaking problem to begin with, otherwise I would try it out myself and let you know. Any takers?
Seems to me that door seal itself doesn't quite fit correctly, allowing either for vibration or wind to get in right at the junction of the side rear view mirror and where the door seal itself is attached to the door.

For me, Shinetsu silicone worked for about two weeks, but the scrunch has definitely returned. :confused:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not Me

The Shinetsu and silicone have actually made my scrunching worse . . . . . I believe.

·
Registered
163 Posts
No Scrunch here.

My SUV is 3 days old. I did not notice any SCRUNCH noice. I did notice a clicking noice near the drivers side dash also top side of the passenger window. VIN#15932.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think I may have what is called the scrunching noise on my Pilot also, but only under a certain freeway driving condition only. I think the sound came from the relative finite movements of the rubber seals and the car doors/window glass, when the structure of the car are "twisted" back and forth due to the driving condition. I think spreading talcum (baby) powder will help.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Possible cure?

Hey I've got the scrunch, on examination, I believe it is when the insides of the rubber weather strips are rubbing. The strips are like "tubes" only shaped differently. What if we take a hypodermic needle and inject lubricant inside? I believe this would take care of the scrunch.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Scrunch help

xyzzy and others interested
OK - tried the powder just prior to leaving New Orleans on Friday. By the time I stopped sneezing - seriously - this seemed to really make a difference, but by the time I had reached central MS, the noise was creeping back. It made a mess that was easily cleaned up with a damp towel. Girl at the drive through said it smelled good. On Saturday, I applied a grease that I had remembered from earlier days and for now, 80% of my noise is gone. What I have left is in the passenger door and it may need physical adjustment (besides the mental grief I have given it!) This is a di-electiric grease that was designed to prevent wear on the plastic cam block on older style distributors that had points. This was a GM product and the dealer told me today that the tube I had may be over 20 years old. GM has a new part number for it. The old number is GM 1948792. The new number is 12338672. The dealer did not stock it, but gave me a printout of dealers that do in my area. I must tell you that it doesn't look real hot and the longevity is not proven, but it has allowed me to focus on my other two biggies. BP

·
Registered
797 Posts
Had my wife drive the other day. Never noticed the problem in the driver's seat but think the passenger seat has it. Never noticed it before since I had never sat on the right side. Keep us posted on the fix.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Bill,

Sorry to put you into a sneezing frenzy, but it was all in the name of science! :D

Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts