Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd make a new post as I finally got my custom screen protector in the mail today and installed. I had installed an earlier one that I cut from an Zagg shield protector, but the results didn't turn out well. There were bubbles and the install was problematic as it required the screen to be wet. Since the Pilot's screen is at an angle, when I put the screen on all the water drained down.

This new screen is a dry application and went on perfect. I ordered from Photodon and the link is below.
Photodon.com 11.5" Diag 9.72 x 6.10" (247 x 155mm) Screen Protector

They don't sell the exact size I used, but you can put in the size you need in the remarks and they'll cut it to size. I found 9x5 inches works perfect. Also, there are various finishes you can get like privacy, anti glare, clear, etc. I got MXO which is clear with anti-fingerprint.

Overall I'm happy with the product and price. It costs me $12 shipped and I got an iPhone 6 screen protector for free. Beats the hell out of what you get at Best Buy. I'll post pics right after this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
+1 on Photodon. I have dealt with them for the past several years ordering screen protectors for tablets at my job. I have been well pleased with them. I was going to get them to cut me a custom one for the Pilot but looks like saejin has done the leg work. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem. Photodon is def awesome. Wish I would have known about them earlier before I dropped $15 on the Zagg shield just to cut it up. Glad it was on clearance though so I didn't have to pay $40 or more.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thx will have to pick one up. I already have a small scratch on the screen coating. A screen protector will help prevent any future scratches.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All,
I did "9 x 5 inches exact" and it turned out perfect. There is a small bit of room above and below the screen, but I didn't want to get too close to the those areas as they start to curve and I wasn't sure the screen would stick. So I kept it to the minimum size where I would actually be touching the screen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All,
I did "9 x 5 inches exact" and it turned out perfect. There is a small bit of room above and below the screen, but I didn't want to get too close to the those areas as they start to curve and I wasn't sure the screen would stick. So I kept it to the minimum size where I would actually be touching the screen.
Thanks for the info. Did you specify rounded or square corners?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Any issues getting it installed without bubbles?

Any prep work needed (clean with alcohol, wipe with lint-free rag, etc.)?

Also, have you noticed any deterioration in touch sensitivity?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I opted for round corners...it's the default I think.

Prep work is pretty much the same as if you were putting this on a tablet. They recommend using a vacuum while applying since dust particles tend to accumulate sometimes...I didn't do this. I only had one dust spec drop on the screen, but it's not noticeable. They provide a very complete package including alcohol wipe, instructions, and a piece of plastic to help you push out the bubbles. Also, if you happen to get some dust under it you can pull it back and they provide a piece of adhesive to help you pull the dust off...DON'T use your fingers...once you get a fingerprint on it it won't come off.

No deterioration with touch sensitivity, but I did change the setting for the sensitivity to the middle one...can't remember what it was called.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The only thing I worry about with applying an I-Pad type screen protector is how heat will affect it over time. In certain parts of the country it gets very hot. If the interior of the Pilot gets extremely or even moderately hot I'm afraid the screen protector (meant for an I-device) may start to bubble and peel over time, maybe even melt. May have problems down the line with extreme cold as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The only thing I worry about with applying an I-Pad type screen protector is how heat will affect it over time. In certain parts of the country it gets very hot. If the interior of the Pilot gets extremely or even moderately hot I'm afraid the screen protector (meant for an I-device) may start to bubble and peel over time, maybe even melt. May have problems down the line with extreme cold as well.

I emailed Photodon last night asking the same question and received the response below. So I guess use at one's own risk. I decided to order one anyway.

[Hello,
Thank you for your order. Our films are not affected by the heat. They are used on indoor or outdoor screens all over the world. They are screen protectors and will not damage your screen in any way.

Warm Regards,

Mary Ellen Bristol

847-377-1185 ext. 101 Fax 877-255-2570
[email protected] www.Photodon.com
--------
Photodon, LLC
2682 Garfield Rd N, Ste 21
Traverse City, MI 49686-5087 USA
=======================
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.]

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The original one I installed was a Zagg Shield which required a spray solution to apply. It was on the screen for over 2 weeks with some days sitting outside in the heat all day. When I went to pull it off it came right off with no issues. The one from Photodon goes on without any spray, so I don't see any issues with it sticking to the screen permanently or being impacted by the heat or cold. Based on my experience with them so far if I run into any issues I'm confident they will stand behind their product and send me a replacement no charge.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bet they used my order as a template. When I ordered I put down that it would be for a 2016 Honda Pilot. 10.3" diagonal size puts the dimensions at 9x5 which is what I used.

Or they could have been working on this before I ordered...anyway, it's cheaper than what I paid, so def recommend it now.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick update. Got a personal email from photodon thanking me for helping them verify the size fits our screens based on my custom order. I didn't even plan that, but they still reached out to thank me! That's the sign of a company that takes care of their customers. You can't go wrong with ordering from them...wish I would have known about them before.

If anyone else orders one but uses a different coating than I did please post your results. I went with clear and anti-fingerprint, but very interested to know what crystal clear looks like or any of the anti-glare ones since the screen sometimes reflects the sunlight.

1 - 20 of 296 Posts