Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After less than 2 weeks of owning our Pilot, we have managed to put a small scratch in the leather of the driver's side rear passenger seat. It might be due to a car seat (which I thought we had done a good job of protecting against). In any case, my question is this, has anyone ever successfully used any of the liquid leather type repair kits? I've seen the ads on TV, and they seem too good to be true. The scratch is not all the way through the leather, but rather is fairly superficial and about 1/2" long. There is essentially a small flap of leather that is running the length of the scratch (the scratch did not go straight down, but appears to have come across at an angle to the surface of the seat). It's not a huge eyesore, but I'd love to see it disappear.

Also, what do you use to protect your leather from car seats (either indentations or scratches)? We have two of them in the car right now.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Put a towel between the seat and car seat. There are also special seat protectors you can get from "One Step Ahead" or "Toys R Us" that have pockets in them and are spill resistant on one side. But, the towel will serve the purpose fine.

As far as the scratch, I don't know what to do. I'll bet there is a thread somewhere on this site that addresses it though. Just do a search on leather scratch or cut, and I would guess something will come up. Good luck!

And enjoy the ride!!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have car seats too.. I also put a towel under them just to keep the leather from stretching.. Buy yourself a good leather spray or wipe and condition the leather frequently. I do it twice a month..

take care
rob

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have you tried...

...buffing or 'sanding' the leather with a piece of suede and then a piece of scrap leather?

My wife showed me this trick to take MINOR scratches out of my leather jacket. It probably won't work as well on DEEP scratches.

I think it works because of the similarity in grain, but also the oil content of the two materials is very nearly the same.

DO NOT use any silicon type solutions, it will darken the scratch.

You might need to soften up the scrap piece of leather with some natural lanolin first, if it is not real supple. The idea is that the buffing/sanding gets the scratched area to lie smooth again, NOT get greased up. You can often get nice pieces of scrap leather at the shoe repair shop. When I pick up a re-soled pair or two of shoes the old timer who runs the local shop will give me a wash clothed sized scrap for the asking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm looking for a solution to the same sort of problem. I managed to scratch the leather on the passenger seat while installing console lights.

Did you ever find (or can someone suggest) a solution for repairing small scratches?

Thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
You mentioned the scratch was on the rear drivers side seat. Was that the middle row or the very rear seat? If it's the very rear seat, the seats are made of vinyl and not leather. May be a totally different outcome all together.:3: :3:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) try a leather detailer, the dealer scratched my lexus' leather seat and had a detailer fix it. I hardly notice it at all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My wife and I just got our Pilot on Saturday, and I've been reading a lot of messages on this forum about leather care.

I had no idea that you're supposed to do anything with the leather in automobiles... What is the gain of "treating" it monthly, or twice monthly (or whatever people are doing). I guess I've just never heard of that (this is my first vehicle ever with leather).

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
jsevlie said:
My wife and I just got our Pilot on Saturday, and I've been reading a lot of messages on this forum about leather care.

I had no idea that you're supposed to do anything with the leather in automobiles... What is the gain of "treating" it monthly, or twice monthly (or whatever people are doing). I guess I've just never heard of that (this is my first vehicle ever with leather).
I clean and condition mine every 3 to 6 months using Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner. It keeps the leather clean, soft, and supple, helps prevent fading and cracking, and as someone mentioned on some forum, it eliminates the "butt shine" that tends to happen on the driver's seat. Over time, a used driver's seat will develop a glossy shine compared to a little used passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
jay said:
... it eliminates the "butt shine" that tends to happen on the driver's seat. Over time, a used driver's seat will develop a glossy shine compared to a little used passenger seat.
Simple solution: Just wear pants. Oh, wait, you're refering to the car's seat! My bad... never mind. :runaway:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
jsevlie said:

It's like leather shoes or jacket. you have to treat it to prevent it from cracking, keeping the leather supple and soft and compliant. if untreated those things can happen and you have to replace the whole seat or just keep driving with cracked leather.:4:

·
Registered
196 Posts
sblvro said:
...keeping the leather supple and soft and compliant.
"Supple". What a fun word.

What you said makes sense. I guess that I'll have to start poking around for some leather care products then. We'll probably only put about 5-7k miles a year on the Pilot, so maybe every month or so we can run the treatment.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Or you can be a cheapo like me and get shelf liner (or the stuff you put under rugs) from walmart. It works really well, but looks ghetto! Could work as interim until you pick up the real thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts