Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my new Pilot I noticed two scratches, 4-5 inches long, very visible. I pointed this out to the salesperson. He started to buff the scratch with some kind of compound and managed to get the scratches much less visible, but they are still there and you can easily feel it with your fingernail. The salesperson insists on keeping on buffing until you can’t see the scratch anymore. My concern is that they will make the scratch disappear by polishing down the clearcoat until it’s on the same level as the scratch. And if so I may not see the scratch, but instead I have a thinner clearcoat that makes the car more vulnerable to new scratches (and less clearcoat to work with when I get new scratches). So it looks like I have two choices:
a) scratches
b) thinner clearcoat
In both cases I feel like I’m loosing…

So what do you experts think?
Are my concerns about the clearcoat valid?
What would be a decent compensation from the dealership if we leave the scratch and settle this in some other way?

·
Registered
170 Posts
DaddyCool said:
So it looks like I have two choices:
a) scratches
b) thinner clearcoat
In both cases I feel like I’m loosing…

So what do you experts think?
Are my concerns about the clearcoat valid?
What would be a decent compensation from the dealership if we leave the scratch and settle this in some other way?
Boy DaddCool, that sucks - I'm no expert but it seems
to me that you have a valid complaint and the dealership
should be responsible and maybe they should repaint the door
it's brand new they should be able to match it up pretty good
andthen repaint the clear coat or maybe thats all you need to
have donejust re- "painting" the clear coat?
If you can't get answers from the experts here maybe you should talk to a good autobody place and ask their opinion,
but I don't think you should let him slide unless he knocks 4 or 5 hundred off the price- imho.
Good Luck with your Pilot once you get this settled:29:

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I answered you in your other post. BTW, no need to cross-post -- we see you! :D

BTW, you didn't mention the color, but a repaint for most colors is probably a BAD idea unless you are getting some SIGNIFICANT compensation.

Hopefully it's not too deep to buff. See my comments in the other thread.

·
Registered
170 Posts
TheWorm said:
I answered you in your other post. BTW, no need to cross-post -- we see you! :D

BTW, you didn't mention the color, but a repaint for most colors is probably a BAD idea unless you are getting some SIGNIFICANT compensation.

Well see, I told you I'm no expert that's why we come here and ask questions, Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts