Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Scraping/Grinding Noise at 2k rpm in 2nd and 3rd

Tags
help identify
2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Danielle46323 
#1 ·
Hey guys, 2005 Honda Pilot here. In the past 2 months we’ve had a scraping/grinding noise getting worse at 2k rpm I’m 2nd and 3rd but no longer present after that. I’ve heard that there’s a chance it’s a heat shield or some kind of clip under the left side of the hood, but it seems too loud for that to be the case. I’m really hoping it’s not the transmission but I just don’t know. I’ve attached a video for reference- it’s not actually as loud as it seems in the video though.
Concerning Noises

#3 ·
OK, everyone slow down. Unfortunately my computer sound doesn't work so I can't hear the video. Is the sound like marbles rolling in a can or a lower growl? You mentioned it happens around 2k rpm and if I read correctly in 2nd and 3rd gear not in 1st. Did you try in 1st, 2nd, and D, and D3. Where does the noise sound like it coming from left or right etc You have AWD? Is the CEL on? What are the DTCs. When was the last fluid change? Are there any leaks? Bearings and pump, blocked passages and solenoids/pressure sensors also come to mind so does lock-up shutter and a cracked flex plate. But do the easy part first eliminate the heat shield idea. Get under there and look for broken/rusted away welds, use a screwdriver to pry between the cat/muffler and heat shield to see if any welds are broken also make sure the shields aren't bent. If all that checks out then I'd look at the engine and tranny mounts, yes bad mounts can cause drive line noise/shutter. Use a pry bar when checking the engine/tranny mounts. When all the non-tranny items are eliminated then focus on the trans. You can also raise the Pilot wheels off the ground and put it in gear and listen where the noise is coming from at 2k rpm in each gear. I know this sound intimidating but sometimes it's needed. Use heavy duty jack stands and be mindful of moving parts and block the rear wheels left on the ground if you have a 2WD.

#4 ·
Thanks for the things we can try.

See this thread for some things to try, if it is a heat shield on the cats.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the things we can try.

See this thread for some things to try, if it is a heat shield on the cats.
A microphone with a long wire and amplified speaker is great for tracking down noises. While listening under the Pilot use a screwdriver like a stethoscope (tip against trans case handle touching the ear) see example pix, or you can buy an mechanics stethoscope at Harbor Freight

Mechanics Stethoscope (harborfreight.com)

-or if U want to splurge, a 6 channel noise finder-

Amazon.com: Chassis Ear Automotive Engine Noise Finder Tool, 6 Channel Chassis Ears Sound Detector Identify the Troubling Engine Noises (Over-Ear Headphones) : Automotive

I like this one because can localize the noise by switching the channels, it also has LEDS to show a visual noise reference. I like to place four channels at each corner of the chassis and two near where I think the noise origin is.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.