Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice. I want to protect the carpet in my Pilot from the usual wear and tear(like spilling soda on the floor). Do any of you recommend scotch guarding? IS there some other product that will seal and protect the carpet? I have leather seats and will use leather conditioner for that. Oh and other thing. I have heard reports that Armor All is bad for the plastic and vinyl, in the long run. What is a good cleaner to keep it looking good and shined?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Scotch Guard for Carpet

Yep, every time I get a new car, I go buy Scotch Guard for CARPETS. It is in a BLUE CAN, not the red one.

I take out the mats and spray them real good. Then I first get a wet clean rag. I spray all interior carpet, wiping overspray from other upolstry. Let dry, enjoy.

If you don't have Leather, use the SG in the RED can for the seats.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have EX with cloth so it was a big concern for me. I do have an advantage though, my father is the owner of a carpet cleaning business. I recommend that you spray or pay someone to spray a good health coat of it on. I think the kind my dad used was 3M (commercial strength of course). To protect does cost some money if you pay someone to do it, but it is well worth it. Look at it as insurance for your seats and floors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3M

FLPilot said:
I have EX with cloth so it was a big concern for me. I do have an advantage though, my father is the owner of a carpet cleaning business. I recommend that you spray or pay someone to spray a good health coat of it on. I think the kind my dad used was 3M (commercial strength of course). To protect does cost some money if you pay someone to do it, but it is well worth it. Look at it as insurance for your seats and floors.

I went to some carpet stores this weekend to try and find some of that commercial strength scotch guard. They said they don't carry it anymore because it voids the warrenty on carpet. Can you give me the product name and number. Maybe I can order some online. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Re: 3M

kdbrier said:

I went to some carpet stores this weekend to try and find some of that commercial strength scotch guard. They said they don't carry it anymore because it voids the warrenty on carpet. Can you give me the product name and number. Maybe I can order some online. Thanks.
Just got back from my vacation, but I will talk to my dad hopefully tomorrow and get you the info.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: 3M

kdbrier said:

Try your local Wally-World (Wal-Mart). They used to carry it. If you can't find the blue can stuff, I would at least suggest the basic red can version. I use the green can stuff on my motorcycle riding gear (Aerostich) - but I don't know how it would work on carpets.

One other thing I just remembered - 3M pulled one of the scotch guard products off the market about 1-2 years ago. Perhaps this was the blue can stuff?? I'll find out and post back.....

rod

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I just got off the phone with my dad and he said the name of the product is Stain Shield from Chem Spec. Remember this is a product for commercial use only. He owns a Carpet Cleaning business and also does cars and Yachts. I hope this helps you out some.

·
Registered
32 Posts
kdbrier wrote :
> I have heard reports that Armor All is bad for the plastic and vinyl, in the long run. What is a good cleaner to keep it looking good and shined?

And the answer is : "303 Aerospace Protectant". Sold by boat and RV dealers and various sites on the net.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree with GACrabill, the best protectant for vinyl is 303, because it has superior UV protection and it is a water based product. I use it on all my rubber seals, vinyl and also as a top coat on my leather seats.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Re: Stainsheild

kdbrier said:
Thanks for the advice on the stainsheild. I ordered a gallon of it for $8.29. I ordered from a place online.
http://www.cleaning-products.net/index.html
If anyone wants some call 1-800-784-8870 and order with credit card. They will ship it to you.
OK, so it's now been almost 3 years since you bought some of the Stain Shield. Any opinions on it? Is it really better than the Scotch Guard we can buy in the stores? Do you need to reapply it occasionally? Any thoughts on how it would compare to the treatment for cloth seats and the carpet that the dealer tries to sell you when you buy the car?

I'm especially interested since my girlfriend and I are about to buy an '06 Civic EX that'll come with cloth seats. I'd also use it on the carpets in my '06 Pilot.

Thanks in advance!
Larry.

UPDATE: One more question: Does it leave a smell? If so, for how long? So, if we apply it to a new car, will it mask the "new car smell?"

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts