Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was smaller than I expected...very similar looking to the Porsche Cheyenne (sp?). Looked good, but for that much money I would by an X5.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) I'll buy a porsche cayenne if I can afford it. the height adjustable suspension is neat though, just like my 1988 mitsubishi galant.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
It was smaller than I expected...very similar looking to the Porsche Cheyenne (sp?). Looked good, but for that much money I would by an X5.
I've seen a couple, and have to say they looked pretty good.

I just don't like that NAME!!! (With the proliferation of new models, it must be getting harder for the auto makers to come up with catchy names!) :4:

·
Registered
67 Posts
A coworker of mine got a flat in her Boxster S, so the dealership gave her a loaner Cayenne S.

I grabbed the keys from her and sat in it and was not impressed for the dollar amount that that SUV(?) represented. The driver's cockpit is exactly that, only for the driver as it should be. The engine was not as responsive as I anticipated it. 350 HP and you don't get a good pedal feel. I really had to stab at the gas to get it going!!

The trunk area is rather small compared to the size of the vehicle. Isn't that why you purchase a SUV is to carry stuff? I have one child and I stuff the Pilot full of carseats, stroller, hi-chair, saucer-bouncer, etc. and still have room. The Cayenne would have trouble doing what a Pilot CAN DO!

Not impressed for that dollar amount.... Toureg (s.i.c).... haven't seen it on the road....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Re: Saw the VW Toureg on the road yesterday...

Ziploc said:
I just don't like that NAME!!! (With the proliferation of new models, it must be getting harder for the auto makers to come up with catchy names!) :4:
No, not that hard. Only when the company execs in Germany refuse to listen to their American dealers who begged and pleaded with them to not name it that.

That kind of hard-headed stubbornness makes me want to see it bomb in the States.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Isn't that hard-headed stubborness become ingrained in VW culture?

How long did it take them to admit that they had a problem with their coil-packs?

Don't get me wrong, I like VWs, but they are not the Mercedes competitor that they think they are.

Besides, you think a few Pilot folks have minor issues, go look at a Passat board sometime. No VWs for me thanks. I'll stick with the Pilot and Accord.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I drove one last Friday. Oh my gosh, it makes the Pilot feel like a Chevy pick-up. It is very fun to drive. The interior is very high class (REAL wood, etc.). So many little extras are standard.

I agree about the stupid name...I wonder what they were thinking.

The Golf is the number one selling vehicle in the world....quality can't be too poor (I'm currently driving a 17 year old Golf to work.)

The cargo area was larger than I expected, but probably not large enough for our family. The manager told me the lowest price he could get me into one was about $36,000. IMHO, it blows the MDX out of the water (please don't yell at me ;) )

No third row seat. No DVD available. But there is a loooooong list of features that are not available on any Honda (or Acura).

If you get a chance, I recommend driving one.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
My first brand new car was a '79 VW Rabbit, two-door, black vinyl interior, and a sunroof. $5985 MSRP. VW called the color Sunbright Yellow; I knew it as lemon yellow.

Fun to drive, notoriously unreliable. The throttle valve housing went bad, causing the accelerator to stick open. In the shop 34 days, waiting for parts. The '80 Rabbit rental (VW of America ended up picking up that $600 tab after much complaining on my part) had the same problem. Before I drove off with it, a mechanic came out, opened the hood, beat something with a rubber mallet, and sent me on my way.

Some time later the rear main seal went, and the oil that had been dripping onto the clutch pressure plate took that out, too. $1000 repair bill for a car then valued at $4500.

When the fuel pump started buzzing, I traded that sucker for the vehicle that caused me to swear I'd never knowingly buy another GM vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
jay said:
My first brand new car was a '79 VW Rabbit, two-door, black vinyl interior, and a sunroof. $5985 MSRP. VW called the color Sunbright Yellow; I knew it as lemon yellow.

Fun to drive, notoriously unreliable. The throttle valve housing went bad, causing the accelerator to stick open. In the shop 34 days, waiting for parts. The '80 Rabbit rental (VW of America ended up picking up that $600 tab after much complaining on my part) had the same problem. Before I drove off with it, a mechanic came out, opened the hood, beat something with a rubber mallet, and sent me on my way.

Some time later the rear main seal went, and the oil that had been dripping onto the clutch pressure plate took that out, too. $1000 repair bill for a car then valued at $4500.

When the fuel pump started buzzing, I traded that sucker for the vehicle that caused me to swear I'd never buy knowingly buy another GM vehicle.
My experience with the VW Rabbit was the exact opposite, although I had the diesel. I put 120K on an 80 Rabbit and did not spend one dime on repairs. Just oil and filter (and tires). I did upgrade the glow plugs to the "fast" type. Traded it to a co-worker for a 82 Rabbit diesel with about half the mileage and drove the second one to 100K - again, not a dime for repairs.

YMMV

:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
First year new beetle. Fun car to drive, electrically, a total lemon. I did not have a good time at all. Window switches (replaced numerous times before it became a recall item) headlights, replaced over a dozen times...stil not a recall item. Mysterious electrical drain that drained the battery within 48 hours of nondriving...ruined several batteries. Dealership blamed me (not driving it frequently enough.) Hel-LO, can't drive dead car! can't leave at the airport, can't go away for the weekend. Blamed lo-jack and cd changer (they installed). Defective radio that continued to drain, although it is supposed to stop pulling power after car if off for around 10 minutes. Had to threaten to lemon-law it to get them to find it. Coating peeled off door handles early on...they told me I used handcream or amorall, neither of which is true. Love VW feel, brand. Reality is harsher. Toureg is pretty, sitting right next to the Pilot I bought. I personally like the name. Waiting for the microbus with baited breath...2005?

If you consider the toureg...please get NEXT year's.

·
Registered
411 Posts
jay said:

When the fuel pump started buzzing, I traded that sucker for the vehicle that caused me to swear I'd never knowingly buy another GM vehicle.
You are the only person I've heard from that had problems like that with a rabbit.

I've owned a '77 & '78 rabbit. Also '85 & '87 Golfs. I've taken all of them over 200,000 miles, trouble-free. (I lied, my current Golf only has 193,000 miles)

I guess any auto maker can produce a lemon. Believe it or not, Honda produces a lemon every once in a while. There is no way I would've purchased a '79 Civic....they felt like go-carts (very unlike the Civics of today). VW definately produced more rugged, better cars than Honda back in the 70's.

I don't see many '87 Honda's on the road ;)

So far, we've had good luck with the Honda CRV (just turned 100,000 miles). But from my most recent test drive of a Pilot, I'm really concerned about the quality. I don't know how those owners with the scrunch problem can stand driving their Pilots. The dealership would have my Pilot permantly sitting there on their lot until it was fixed. I would consider my Pilot a lemon if it had an unfixable problem. Or.....Honda would have to purchase a new Touereg for me :)

I was all set to purchase a Pilot, but now I don't know what to do. I'm going to seriously begin looking at the competition.

I HOPE SOMEONE FROM HONDA READS THIS!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bought a New Rabbit (Gas) in 78 and it was pretty much trouble free except for rattles and such.

Bought a new Jetta (gas) when they first came out. 80-81?

It was in the shop 37 times within the first 5000 miles with mostly different problems.

I loved the way it drove when it was drivable. But the unreliability was more than we cared to live with.

All our "Rice Burners" have performed well and lasted until and beyond our getting tired of them.

The VWs, GMs, Dodges and Fords are all gone except for one old Chevy Van that we use to camp out of.

Garage is now home to a 2003 Pilot and 2003 CR-V.

Kip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts