Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local dealer had a Sagebrush EX on the lot. So I had a preview of my car, except I ordered the EXL. Actually the build date was yesterday, so it might already have been born. No VIN yet tho. Anyway, it was right next to a black Accord so I was able to get a little perspective.

At first my wife and I were dissapointed. I guess we were hoping for some sort of Granit Green type color, but the Sagebrush is dark, much darker. It was dusk, around 7:30 PM EST in NJ so we didn't have the best lighting. We also saw a Sandstone again and still liked it. It was available and of course the dealer wanted 2k over msrp. Yeah,like I might pay over sticker for any car. We also saw a bunch of Oddys and checked them out.

Our conclusion was this. We liked the Oddy, but we don't want another Minivan. 10 years in a Mercury Villager was enough, so as much as we liked it we just can't stomach another 10 years. One worry we have tho is that my 10 year old (he is big kid) was not very comfortable in the Pilot. Complained there was no place to put his feet and was cramped. The Villager does not have a center console, therefore, he puts his feet between the front seats. Same problem with the Oddy btw. Well we figure he'll survive. The backseat is virtually useless for us, Could be used for banishment when my two boys start fighting tho.

Anyway, I can get a Sandstone EXL for MSRP from another dealer and was about to inquire if it was sold via cell phone, when the Sagebrush caught my eye. again It was starting to grow on me. I asked my wife to take another a look, and she said its starting to grow on her also. Before you know it, we started to really like it and decided it was our favorite color. So at this point, looks like we'll probably go forward with the purchase. It should be here before September.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So how would you describe the color?
I have heard the term "gunmetal" used quite alot, and the pics I have seen make it look more like a grayish undertone with just a hint of green.

I can't decide between it and the Havasu blue. Haven't been able to see either in person yet.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
:16:

·
Registered
80 Posts
well obviously it's my favorite color....I bought it. I had considered silver (my favorite color in general) but it just looked sorta weaker than the silver I had on my Volvo C70. Plus the black door handles stuck out like 4 sore thumbs. Then I considered black, but considering it actually rains here I thought better of it. Still it was going to be black until I saw the sagebrush color. It's dark. It looks black at night but it doesn't show dirt quite as badly.

Generally in normal bright daylight, the color is a dark gray/blue. Basically dark gray with slate blue highlights.

BUT in a golden light...like a setting sun or artificial lights, the blue disappears and is replaced by a mossy green tone. Like the pics you see on Honda.com, but darker.

The paint is highy metallic with lots of "glitter". It reflects the color it's near. If it's on grass...it's greenish. If the sky is blue...it's blueish. However, the car IS DARKER than Honda's pics show it. It's a "black" I can live with. Plus it offers more depth than the black unless the black is freshly washed.

Add to it that the interior is a lighter gray, then I was sold!

Dallas

·
Registered
45 Posts
What Dealer?

Pilotless,

What dealer had the Sagebrush? Have not seen one yet, may want to drive by if local. It may have been one of our top color choices had it been available earlier but we had to get rid of our '95 Quest (Villager twin!) before the Jersey (more like FL lately) summer kicked in because the AC on the Quest just couldn't handle the heat anymore. The 19000 btu's in the Pilot feels like about 18000 more than the Quest and we are now addicted to the auto climate control - set it and forget it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
own a sagebrush

I took delivery of my sagebrush last Friday. I live in PA but had it delivered to my driveway (at no additional cost) by dealer in VA (Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge, VA). They claim to have sold 4 so far this month. Local dealer told me Sagebrush would not be available til October.

As far as the color, I agree with the description given by Dallas. My opinion is that in most lighting situations it is more dark grey than it is blue and more blue than it is green. It definately has a metallic shimmer. Personally I think the color is great. Not sure if "slate green" is a color, but that's the way I'd describe it. Closest thing I can compare it to is the color of the ocean when you're flying over it at 30,000 feet...dark blueish green.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: own a sagebrush

spindoctor said:
Local dealer told me Sagebrush would not be available til October.
:mad: That's what my dealer told me. I had originally wanted the Sagebrush based on the web and brochure photos, but didn't want to wait till October (or possibly later) for my Pilot.

Actually, now I'm glad I didn't wait. The Sagebrush is way too dark for comfort in South Texas (though I still like the color).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ShorePilot,

Open Road Honda on Rt one in Edison had it. It was already sold and was waiting to be picked up, so no guarantees its still there. They also have a Sandstone BTW.

·
Registered
465 Posts
color comparison

I haven't actually seen the sagebrush, but when I went to order my Pilot, they had two coming in by the end of August - a sagebrush and sandstone. The salesman described the sagebrush as the color of the Land Rover, and the sandstone was used two or three years ago on the Odyssey. I went home and thought about it, and decided on the sagebrush. By the time I called back, it already had a deposit, so I took the sandstone. Probably a wise decision with a 4 year old and 1 month old child...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sagebrush seems very close to what Acura calls Eucalyptis

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Sagebrush seems very close to what Acura calls Eucalyptis
Dead thread alert. I think they stopped offering sagebrush by model year 2006.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
I was beginning to wonder.....

Hey Rocky, headed to Cleveland tomorrow to see the Red Sox play the Indians. The gf is a die hard Sox fan, she wasn't too happy to see that Wakefield and Huff are pitching tomorrow....whatever that means ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see them every day. They are very common, to the point of boredom, in our area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts