Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying some cheap things before I put a new transmission in my car. The shuddering and hesitation have become quite irritating.
First thing I've noticed is pretty bad shuddering starting around 30 mph and directly related to the ECO light coming on. I read that torque converter lock up related to the VCM can cause damage and lead to a shudder. I know the 2009-2015s had more problems with VCM but I'm wondering if it also applies to 2008 (2WD).

Also, I plan on replacing the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. Is there any risk that doing this would cause more damage? It seems to be an extremely easy repair so it seems foolish not to try it. I'm not ready to drop $4,000 if I can try these other things first.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I am trying some cheap things before I put a new transmission in my car. The shuddering and hesitation have become quite irritating.
First thing I've noticed is pretty bad shuddering starting around 30 mph and directly related to the ECO light coming on. I read that torque converter lock up related to the VCM can cause damage and lead to a shudder. I know the 2009-2015s had more problems with VCM but I'm wondering if it also applies to 2008 (2WD).

Also, I plan on replacing the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. Is there any risk that doing this would cause more damage? It seems to be an extremely easy repair so it seems foolish not to try it. I'm not ready to drop $4,000 if I can try these other things first.
Seems like a very reasonable approach. That's what I would try first. too.

Don't forget the 3x ATF drain and fill, if you haven't done that yet, and for your VCM, consider getting a VCMuzzler.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like a very reasonable approach. That's what I would try first. too.

Don't forget the 3x ATF drain and fill, if you haven't done that yet, and for your VCM, consider getting a VCMuzzler.
I've done 2x ATF drain and fills, had my mechanic do one and I did one about a month later. I plan on doing another one in a few weeks. I'll definitely look into VCMuzzler.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Having a similar issue with a 2011 Ody, planning to try a half dose of LubeGard Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant. Was recommended to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having a similar issue with a 2011 Ody, planning to try a half dose of LubeGard Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant. Was recommended to me.

That sounds intriguing...I've always heard don't put any additives in the transmission or anything for that matter but if things continue to get worse I could have nothing to lose. Thanks and let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

If your still using the oem fluid you shouldn't need any additives ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts