Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,does anyone have satellite radio?Is it worth it?Can you get TV stations on a satellite radio?How much does it cost to get a radio,and what is the monthly charge?Thanks,Charlie PS We drive from New Orleans to Arizona a couple of times a year,and we drive straight thru-25 hours.It sure would be nice to be able to stay with a radio station rather than have to hunt for a new one every 2 hours(especially in the TX panhandle ,since we are usually doing it at night and Hy 287 it is pretty desolate).I like TX,but there is a lot of "middle of nowhere" in TX.Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Charlie,

I've had XM radio since August 9, and I think it's worth it. The other provider is Sirius, which I'm much less familiar with.

XM equipment will run in the $120-300 range, and the monthly service is $9.99 for the first receiver, and $6.99 per month for up to 4 more. You can also get a multi-year plan, and reduce the cost of the first receiver to as low as about $7.29 a month.

Check out xmradio.com, xmfan.com, sirius.com, and siriusbackstage.com. With XM you receive 100 channels of music, sports, news, comedy, and talk, and the old time theater of the mind. You get the Weather Channel, and TV feeds from CNN, CNN Headline News, and Fox News.

If you're big into NPR, check out Sirius.

I absolutely love XM, and never listen to FM anymore. You have music from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, several Jazz channels, classical, soul, blues, bluegrass, live shows from the XM studios, the NASCAR channel. It's a real kick!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can add an XM receiver for between 100-160, and service is $10 a month.
There are some rebroadcasted TV news stations like Fox news, CNN, CNN Headline news, etc. E!, Discovery, VH1 and MTV have stations, but they are not simple rebroadcasts, the content is suitable for radio.
There's a ton of music and talk options. Check out http://www.xmradio.com for the channel lineup and equipment options...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes!

Hi Friend...

In a word....YES!

I have had XM radio for about three weeks now and just love it. No more AM or FM because there is just so much content and variety. I got the $120.00 XM Roady and it was easy to install and get started. But, if you don't like it just cancell the billing because there is no contract.

Keep us posted!

Don:20:

·
Registered
225 Posts
sounds like xm is just right for you cowboy
i got a roady (model) tiny little antenna sits right up on the dash pretty as you please
No Garrison Keeler though. Thats the only drawback.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sirius

Hey all...
I know that most are partial to XM, but has anyone installed Sirius? The only reason I ask is because I'm a big fan of NPR, but the local station only has music when I'm doing most of my morning driving. Thanks!

Mook

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips-Roady it is-Jay ???

Thanks for the tips-great Forum.I ordered the Roady.
Jay,I saw your picture of the installed Roady;I thought it installed into the cassette,but I don't see connection to the cassette?Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I am a big fan of NPR, especially Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk, so I have avoided XM so far despite that really cool plug 'n' play unit that fits into your car or your boom box.

I think Sirius is just now coming out with some similar equipment so I will be checking it out again. Key will probably be how good of reception I will be able to get in my office but I'm told I should not be optimistic about this.

The other functionality I would really like to have is to record content (esp, Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk) to listen to later since I'm usually busy when these programs are airing. Is this possible? I've heard of some people recording Internet radio onto SD cards and playing content back on PDAs. Maybe I'll investigate that route as well.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Thanks for the tips-Roady it is-Jay ???

charlie said:
Jay,I saw your picture of the installed Roady;I thought it installed into the cassette,but I don't see connection to the cassette?Thanks,Charlie
Charlie, you can use the cassette, or you can add an FM modulator or Blitzsafe adapter stuffed in the dash. My Roady is connected directly to the head unit from the Roady's line out to a Blitzsafe Aux in Converter, to the CD Changer port on the back of the head unit. The wires are run into the dash as shown here:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts

charlie said:
Charlie, here's how it looks using the cassette adapter and cig adapter. It's a 10 minute install. Running the antenna wire and tucking it takes the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Barren wastes of TX,NM,AZ,here we come!!

Thanks Jay.We are ready for the barren wastes of TX,NM,AZ!Radio reception on TX Hy287(Ft Worth to Amarillo) and I-40 from Amarillo to Flagstaff is pretty poor- about 850 miles and 15 hours.
The Roady looks like a pretty clever unit;I can't wait!Thanks all,Charlie

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Barren wastes of TX,NM,AZ,here we come!!

charlie said:
Thanks Jay.We are ready for the barren wastes of TX,NM,AZ!Radio reception on TX Hy287(Ft Worth to Amarillo) and I-40 from Amarillo to Flagstaff is pretty poor- about 850 miles and 15 hours.
The Roady looks like a pretty clever unit;I can't wait!Thanks all,Charlie
Enjoy! If you plan to install it in a similar location, get some Velcro adhesive tape from a craft shop, Target, Walmart, etc. You won't need the pedestal or adhesive pad included in the package.

·
Registered
360 Posts
From Another Roady User...

Just GET IT, Charlie! You'll love it. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've also recently got XM Radio and SkiFi package and use the home boombox extensively. Works pretty good through the cassette adaptor, not sure if I will get the local guy to do an install with the blitzsafe adaptor.

Mike

·
Registered
11,113 Posts

charlie said:
Charlie, what's the word on your Roady? Are you an XM'er now?:confused:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YES-LIKE MAGIC

Yes,I am hooked up.I got the hardware from Crutch. about 5 days ago,and hooked it up,and got it activated Monday.It works like magic!Am am having no problems with reception with the antenna just sitting on the dash.I will move it to the roof for the trip.Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: YES-LIKE MAGIC

charlie said:
Yes,I am hooked up.I got the hardware from Crutch. about 5 days ago,and hooked it up,and got it activated Monday.It works like magic!Am am having no problems with reception with the antenna just sitting on the dash.I will move it to the roof for the trip.Thanks,Charlie
Great!:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts