Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, had a very disappointing situation last week. Found that someone had taken something down BOTH sides of our Pilot. Both passenger doors and the drivers door and driver's front fender were scratched. At first, I thought it looked like perhaps someone was carrying something big and it dragged down the side of the car, until we saw it on both sides of the Pilot. Wasn't a key scratch as it wasn't that deep, or jagged. Initially, I told my wife I believed I could buff it out with my Porter Cable D/A buffer and proper pads, etc........ got about 50 % better but not to my satisfaction. Took it today to a local body shop / painter nearby whom I've dealt with several years ago. He attempted to lightly wet sand with 1500 then 3000 grit then buff....... Unfortunately, it went through the super thin clear coat from the factory. So now, it's REPAINT all of these.

Question, does anyone know if the paint is a 2 part, or 3 part paint? The painter wrote down the paint code and said 2 part. He mixes all his own PPG products at his shop. I'm highly pissed over all of this and the need to now spend $500 to re do it all. I never park next to others if at all possible, and never take 2 spaces. Didn't cut anyone off while driving either.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't know what the paint is, but if you're getting four panels fully painted for $500. with a clear coat by a reputable painter who does quality work, don't bother second-guessing him. That's a really good deal. The paint alone will cost $100.

At that price, I would make sure that he's not just touching it up. Blending clearcoat is difficult, and if you're picky, you might not be happy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's a two stage metallic. I'm hoping the $500 you speak of is your deductible. Just the money for the labor to R&I everything on those panels for proper repair/paint access is going to be approx that cost before you get into the labor and materials to fix the panels.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks all !!!

I'm not putting it through insurance as we have a $250 deductible and though the cost for repaint is $500 I'd rather not put it through insurance. We happened to have a home claim for hail damage to replace our roof last fall to the tune of $22k with the same insurance company, USAA..... don't want to have 2 claims in a year.

As for the repaint, the owner of the body shop described that he would wet sand, blend the blue paint in to the area affected, then re clear coat the entire panel. He assured me that it would all blend in and knows that I'm super picky.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How many panels were damaged? You may want to specifically ask him if he is removing all the trim or just masking prior to paint. Removal is the best/correct way. Some shops mask off to save money and the end result is not ideal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was both passenger doors got about 18" to 20" scratches and the driver's door got about a 5" scratch. The front driver's side fender also got about a 12" to 15" scratch .

I'm sure he won't be removing any panels as 3 of the 4 are doors and he's doing the whole door from below the window down. As for the one front fender panel, I feel reasonably comfortable that he can mask it off and take care of it. I did ask about blending next to other panels, and he's doing all of each panel affected.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE...... Picked up our Pilot from the local body shop this afternoon after he repainted 4 panels...... both passenger doors, the driver's door and driver side front fender. He blended the blue paint in the scratched areas after a little sanding work and then re clear coated the entire panel. It turned out like new. Can't tell it was ever touched. I spent 30 minutes looking it over at home at all angles, lighting, etc and NO signs anything ever happened. REALLY happy with how it turned out....... was really uneasy about this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts