Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Sandstones are coming!

6K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  SoapPlant 
#1 ·
Two dealers call me on Wednesday to tell me they have build dates for a Sandstone Metallic EX-L RES. One has a build of 7/17-7/21 and the other 7/21-7/24. Both should be in at the end of July or beginning of August.

So it looks like they are rolling into production.

#2 ·
Just Got Our Sandstone Date Too!

We ordered our Sandstone EX on May 24, and inquired several times if the color was going to be a problem, because of the footnote in the brochure that states it wasn't going to be available until the fall. We really wanted the vehicle in July. The dealer repeatedly told us that it wouldn't be a problem, that we would have it before our August 2 vacation to Ocean City, MD. Then, when we still didn't have a date by the beginning of this month, I panicked and called the General Manager. Guess what - color constrained, and they knew it all along!

Well they finally called me the other day with a 8/11 - 8/15 build date + about 2 weeks from Canada to PA. We decided to go with an EX-RES in Sandstone with a 8/10 - 8/14 build date that wasn't taken yet, so it looks like we'll be lucky if it arrives by Labor Day. I guess its worth the wait - 49 days and counting!

Accessories - Fog lights, rear splash guards, running boards, cargo cover, cargo tray, wood trim (dash, interior and RES) and wheel locks.

Have been checking out the day/night mirror posts and want to add that too.

Possibles down the road - air deflector, cross bars/bike racks?

#3 ·
Did you need it for vacation or do you have a vehicle that will do?

We drove from MD to DE to get our first choice of SS in time for vacation. But if we hadn't, we wouldn't have had the room to go on vacation without modifications to one of our cars - ie roof rack. We also wanted the 4WD to be able to go on the beach. We thought about renting an SUV but when the Pilot came out, we just jumped on it and we were lucky enough to find a Silver one in time.

#4 ·
Only 48 More Days!

We have a '98 Accord EX-V6, that has gotten the job done over the past 3 years, so it will be fine this year too. Its only my wife and I driving in our car, so there's really plenty of room. And I'm always amazed at how much stuff you can fit in the Accord trunk. We usually can fit everything for a week in the trunk, including 2 beach chairs and a beach umbrella - its really quite remarkable.

Its sometimes like working a really tough puzzle, though to get everything in just right. We thought it would be nice to have the Pilot in time for vacation, so we would have more room and could just throw things in and go. The chairs are usually the tough ones to get in because the frames have a bend to them.

I guess its just as well, because my car always seems to get door dings down at the shore, and nothing is worse than that, especially when the vehicle is brand-spankin' new.

I think we'll probably just wait for ours to come in at this point. I've tried really hard t come up with another alternative, but none of them are quite right. I don't want to be disappointed that I didn't get exactly what I wanted.

Besides, if I walk now, out the door probably goes my $750 discount at another dealer, and they may not be as willing to work with me on the cost of the accessories.

Only 48 days left!

#5 ·
PilotGerharts said:
We also wanted the 4WD to be able to go on the beach.
So how did it drive on the beach? Used to drive the beach at Nags Head. Often had to put the Jeep in low gear for the deep sand and/or lower the tire pressure to 15 lbs.

#6 ·
We don't leave until Sept. I'll let you know when we get back. We were planning on reducing the air pressure in the tires. Does any one know if they sell a "generator" to re-inflate the tires before driving on the pavement again?

This will be my 4th summer at Ocracoke and my husband has been going since 89 I think. Since we've been together we haven't had a 4WD so I'm really looking forward to exploring parts of the island I haven't seen before. (He used to have Mazda Navajo so he has done it before.)

#8 ·
Got stuck in Ocracke Island last time in my Jeep many years ago. A ranger in a Bronco watch in amusement as I tried to get over the dune access point. Let the air out and no problem. Do not have to go all the way down to 15 lbs, although that is probably best. Think I lowered it to around 20 lbs. You can drive on the road that way until you can get to a gas station as long as you keep your speed down and do not do anything erratic with the tires - this is what the rangers do. Those 12V pumps are not worth it. Good for beach toys, but take forever for tires and they tend to overheat.

#11 ·
Duck NC

Good luck. We did get out of Ocracroke by doing the tire trick - in fact it is even in the Jeep owner's manual. It has been about 4 years since I have been out that way, but the best drive is up north wat past Duck to the VA border. The sand is deep getting off the pavement (although no hills). Once you are on the beach it is flat. Tons of SUVs. Really neat petrified stumps coming out of the surf. Wild horses too. Lots of houses back off the beach only accessible by SUV with great trails around them like a suburb - only with sandy roads. Think you have to buy a day permit now to drive that stretch. Tricks I learned was to really gun it coming off the pavement. Good thing about an automatic is that you do not lose momentum switching gears. Also, street tires work better in sand than the knobby mud and snow. Helps you ride on time. I am envious. No place lack that over here in Europe. Used to live in Waldorf, MD before I came over here. See that you all are in Westminster. :p
P.S. Check that last gas station before you go on the sand. Usually his air pump is broke and costs money. Also, have comfort by seeing a tow truck stationed at the entrance just in case you need the help for some $$$.

#12 ·
Got the VIN, 2 weeks to go...

Dealer called Sat. afternoon with the VIN. Looks like it will be another 2 weeks before she arrives. I'm getting very anxious to see the color :10:

#13 ·
Re: Got the VIN, 2 weeks to go...

Threadhead said:
Dealer called Sat. afternoon with the VIN. Looks like it will be another 2 weeks before she arrives. I'm getting very anxious to see the color :10:
Hey Threadhead, I sure hope you have a digital camera, so we can see what this color really looks like! Mine won't be here until the end of August - only about 39 days left and counting...

#14 ·
Me too

my Sandstone is set to be built at the same time as SoapPlant. I'm really nervous about the color. Some beige metalics are really pretty; but some are really blah IMHO. Hope this is one of the good ones:4:

#15 ·
Re: Re: Got the VIN, 2 weeks to go...

SoapPlant said:
Hey Threadhead, I sure hope you have a digital camera, so we can see what this color really looks like! Mine won't be here until the end of August - only about 39 days left and counting...
You betcha, I'll be burning the memory stick and triping the flash fantastic :1:

Just got off the phone with the dealer this morning and he estimates it will be here 8/3 or 8/4.

Next step, I really need to give Tim some of my money :D

#16 ·
Re: Me too

copilot said:
my Sandstone is set to be built at the same time as SoapPlant. I'm really nervous about the color. Some beige metalics are really pretty; but some are really blah IMHO. Hope this is one of the good ones:4:
It's so hard to guess what the color will look like from the chips in the brochure, but Honda IMHO has a good reputation with the basic colors like silvers and golds.

If I had to guess at what it will look like, I would say it will be more like the metallic tans that were on the civics a couple of years ago. Hopefully with a more aggressive metallic sheen. But noticeably lighter and less 'golden' than Mesa Beige. And I really like Mesa Beige.

#17 ·
Lghter is good

I would prefer the "lighter" you refer to. When it moves in the color spectrum towards dark I have seen it start looking too "brown". I am not really crazy about the MDX color and hope it is lighter than that. The waiting is Killing ME.:13:

#18 ·
I am really enjoying this board. I am anxiously awaiting delivery of a EX-L RES in SS to be delivered sometime in September. I ordered it in June!! I was really thinking that I would like the sandstone, especially the saddle interior with wood trim, but I was afraid that once I saw it, I wouldn't like it:8: The point that I am getting to is this, on another Honda SUV board, there is a member who happens to work in the factory in Ontario where the Pilot is made and he said that he saw some preproduction MDX's in the sandstone and that they looked awesome!! I sent him a private message and asked him if he could give me some kind of idea of what the color looked like and he responded that it was almost identical, at least to his eyes, to the Mojave Mist of the 2002 CR-V's of which he owns that car in that color. He posted some pictures of his CR-V on the gallery section of the website and I personally thought it looked a little dark, but it also could have been because of the lighting. I hope this helps you future Sandstone owners:D.

#19 ·
chiquita said:
I sent him a private message and asked him if he could give me some kind of idea of what the color looked like and he responded that it was almost identical, at least to his eyes, to the Mojave Mist of the 2002 CR-V's of which he owns that car in that color. He posted some pictures of his CR-V on the gallery section of the website and I personally thought it looked a little dark, but it also could have been because of the lighting. I hope this helps you future Sandstone owners:D.
I have seen the Mojave Mist and agree with you and Mike (from the 'other' pilot board) that it is a darker brown, not quite cinnamon, but definitely darker than tan.

Again, I am only guessing, but looking at the paint chip from the MDX brochure for Mesa Beige, and looking at the paint chip from the Pilot brochure for Sandstone, the sandstone is a little lighter. Not a lot lighter, I would call it a light tan. That is what I have based my idea of what sandstone will look like.

I'm not sure I would like a darker brown. Plus, the current color crop of Pilots only leaves two other lighter colors, silver and white. Since lighter colored cars are typically the more popular, I would be surprised if sandstone turns out to not be light in color.

Since it looks like I will be one of the first to get and see a sandstone, we will all know soon after I know. Only about 2 weeks :2:

#20 ·
I've seen the Mojave Mist CRV also, and I'm afraid that I don't really care for that color. I don't think its anywhere near the Mesa Beige MDX. I've been seeing a lot of Mesa Beige MDXs, and they're pretty light.

Threadhead, funny you mention the paint chip in the MDX brochure! I've been doing the same exact thing. I noticed that the paint chip in the MDX brochure is darker than the vehicle really looks in daylight, so I'm gathering that that the Honda will also be lighter in real life. I agree that at least the paint chip looks a little lighter than the MDX, so its possible it might be slightly lighter, but I think its going to be very close. I'd be pretty happy with something near the MDX color. I think the darker it gets, the less happy I will be. I'm also basing my decision on the picture of the Sandstone Pilot in the brochure which looks pretty light. Then I'm looking at the Saddle interior foldout in the MDX brochure. Between the two I think I have a pretty good idea...

Just goes to show you though, that they're not going to be able to please everyone. I've seen some people saying they like it light, and others that wish it was darker.

#21 ·
My mother drives a Mesa Beige MDX and we ususally ride in it every day to lunch. Now this is just my opinion, but I find the saddle interiors to be much richer looking than the greys or blacks. I do wish the saddle was just a spec lighter, closer to tan. But the lighter the color, the more it would show dirt and wear. Saddle is a very good comprimise.

BTW, all my current and past autos have had greyor black interiors and I'm pretty excited about having something different very soon.

#22 ·
Threadhead said:
BTW, all my current and past autos have had greyor black interiors and I'm pretty excited about having something different very soon.
Hey, I'm right there with you too - my first "saddle" interior also. My Accord has grey, my Civic had grey, my Civic before that had grey. I did have a Camaro Z28 that had tan carpets and seats, but there was some black accents in the seats, and the dash and consoles were all black. This is going to be totally different.

I've been looking at the MDX brochure a lot because there is a full spread of the saddle interior on a couple of pages. For some ridiculous reason, I'm a little uneasy about the different interior, but I'm sure it will be fine once I get used to it. You spend so much time inside the car, that sometimes the interior is almost more important than the exterior. I think we're ready for a change.

I know a lot of people don't really care for it, but we're going to add the wood-grain trim pieces. I think they'll go with the interior very nicely - sort of give it a nice luxurious feel, and set the interior color off a bit.

#23 ·
SoapPlant said:
I know a lot of people don't really care for it, but we're going to add the wood-grain trim pieces. I think they'll go with the interior very nicely - sort of give it a nice luxurious feel, and set the interior color off a bit.
You may want to consider waiting a couple of months on the wood-grain if you can. If the wood-grain kit they use in the Pilot is made the same as the one for the MDX, it could be better. A lot of MDX'ers have complained that it looks fake (and it is).

Comparing my mothers MDX to my brothers QX4, the MDX wood-grain looks very cheap. Plus, she has found that it really shows scratches easily. She is thinking of having me replace it with an aftermarket kit.

A number of wood trim aftermarket sellers picked up on this pretty quickly and sell wood-grain trim for the MDX that is supposed to look much better than OEM. I would think they same ones would offer the trim kit for Pilots here pretty soon.

#24 ·
Threadhead said:

You may want to consider waiting a couple of months on the wood-grain if you can. If the wood-grain kit they use in the Pilot is made the same as the one for the MDX, it could be better. A lot of MDX'ers have complained that it looks fake (and it is).

Comparing my mothers MDX to my brothers QX4, the MDX wood-grain looks very cheap. Plus, she has found that it really shows scratches easily. She is thinking of having me replace it with an aftermarket kit.

A number of wood trim aftermarket sellers picked up on this pretty quickly and sell wood-grain trim for the MDX that is supposed to look much better than OEM. I would think they same ones would offer the trim kit for Pilots here pretty soon.
I know its not real wood, but I'm not really dissatisfied with it either. I have something similar in my Accord, and I think it looks fine. It does have the plastic exterior, but I think that helps to protect it. I haven't really noticed a lot of scratching on it. I use a really soft cloth every once in a while to buff out any fine scratches or fingerprints/dust. I think its held up pretty good.

But then again, maybe I don't know any better. My Accord is the first car I ever had with wood trim. I haven't really looked into it before. Maybe if I see something better, then I'll think this stuff looks like crap! Do you have any links to the aftermarket kits available for the MDX. I might be interested in waiting and looking at them, if its any prediction of what's to come for the Pilot.

I never was much of an "aftermarket" guy before. I tend to like getting genuine Honda asseccories for form, fit and function. Some of the aftermarket stuff I've seen in the past, truly looks "aftermarket". Sometimes its just not quite right. But with the Pilot I've been looking at a lot of things like the Webasto sunfroof, for instance, and I'm pretty impressed by what I see. I think I could be easily turned!

I'm truly impressed with the integration of the accessories for the Pilot - just small things, but I think they speak volumes. For instance the clips covering the bolt holes for attaching running boards - no drilling necessary. The dimples under the hood showing you right where to drill for the air deflector. I understand there are markings behind the rear bumper that let you know right where to drill for the backup sensors without needing a template. Also, how the clips in the back fold out for the cargo net, and how there are spots for the cargo liner tabs to fit into. I could go on and on about other accessories too. It appears that this vehicle was designed ahead of time with the accessories in mind. Very impressive, indeed!

#25 ·
for SoapPlant

We've had our Evergreen Pearl EX-L (with saddle interior) for over a month now and we really like the interior color. Somehow the saddle color combination seems more interesting and less monotone than the gray, and the saddle tones are much "warmer" (in a color sense).

If given a choice, I likely would have opted for the Sandstone as well, but I couldn't possibly have waited until August! Luckily, the EP is growing on me, and it zainos up real nice.

Hope you'll be able to post some pictures of your new toy.

:2:

#26 ·
I think this is a sandstone. Now this picture contradicts what I have been thinking, it looks a little darker than I would exptect. Of course you can't judge color from a web graphic.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.