Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Salty Engine Compartment

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  lamuncha 
#1 ·
My wife took the Pilot from St. Louis to northern Illinois about a week ago, a five hour trip with light snow and lots of salt on the roads.
It was warm yesterday so I decided to remove all the salt. Washed the outside, pressure washed the bottom, wiped down the door sills. Final step, I opened the hood to wipe down the engine. The engine compartment was covered in salt. There is dried salt on the underside of the hood, the firewall, the engine, everywhere. This was not just a film but actually looked crusty. It was 1/2 hour before dark so I had to let it go. The first chance I get I will wash it off.
I know plenty of others have driven distances in the snow and I'm sure other places use plenty of salt also. I'm just curious if anybody else has run into this or if it was a freak occurance.

#2 ·
Same under the hood experience here on trip over the holidays to W. Michigan. Used lots of soapy water and long soft bristled brush instead of my power washer. Did an ok job. I tried using the power washer for undercarriage on other vehicles with limited success. In fact, just today I was at Lowe's looking for fittings to add a 90 degree elbow to the end of the power washer wand to achieve an upward spray pattern rather than the hit and miss horizontal attack laying on my back on the cold concrete.

#3 ·
Thanks for the heads up on this. We've had lots of snow this year. I'll check under my hood tomorrow when its light outside.:headshak:

#4 ·
When washing the engine compartment, it is ok to use a hose without a spray nozzel so as to not force too much water pressure? I have always been leary about using pressure washing in engine compartments.

What do other do out there beside wiping down with a cloth?

I also living in the snowy, salty, region.

Thanks

#5 ·
seadog said:
Same under the hood experience here on trip over the holidays to W. Michigan. Used lots of soapy water and long soft bristled brush instead of my power washer. Did an ok job. I tried using the power washer for undercarriage on other vehicles with limited success. In fact, just today I was at Lowe's looking for fittings to add a 90 degree elbow to the end of the power washer wand to achieve an upward spray pattern rather than the hit and miss horizontal attack laying on my back on the cold concrete.
any luck on finding the right angle attachment?? for the pressure washer...........let us know how it works
bob:eek:

#6 ·
seadog said:
In fact, just today I was at Lowe's looking for fittings to add a 90 degree elbow to the end of the power washer wand to achieve an upward spray pattern rather than the hit and miss horizontal attack laying on my back on the cold concrete.
seadog,
A friend and I restore cars as a hobby so I receive lots of tool catalogs. I remember seeing a flexable tip for powerwashers that can be bent at any angle up to 90 degrees. If I can find the catalog I will let you know. Also, saw your Pilot in BestBuy's parking lot yesterday, looks good.

BigBarkingDog,
A hose with a nozzle is fine. I have used a pressure washer to remove greasy dirt from the lower half of engines, just don't spray sensitive parts directly.

Our Pilot had been in salt and snow before, I'm just not sure what was different about the trip that caused the build up. I have witnessed corrosion testing of automotive parts and am aware of the effects salt can have even after a short time. I just wanted to let the people that it might apply to know so they could keep an eye on it.

#7 ·
sandman - Between the separately packaged power washer fittings and bulk standard brass fittings I was able to put together a wand attachment section with quick connectors on either end. However, I left the store empty handed as they were out of one fitting. Today, I just remembered that I have another complete wand from a previous power washer (Craftsman hunk of junk but I probably contributed to its demise by not keeping the pump seals moist with RV antifreeze) and thought I might be able to create a gradual bend in it. Need to track it down next time it warms up again in the garage; was 70 degrees a couple days ago, now 32!

pjb3 - Yes, I would be interested in seeing a flexible tip. No, that was not my Pilot at Best Buy. Although we have had it since Oct I can count on both hands the number of times its been out of the garage and three of those were trips to the Dealers (plural is intentional) and once to a local brush-less car wash the day after returning from MI full of salt. The car wash did a terrible job so since it was warm that day I rewashed by hand but I did notice there was still some salt residue on the under-carriage when I subsequently installed a trailer hitch so have some additional cleaning to do yet even-though I paid extra for the bottom flush at the car wash. But, as we know, that road salt is pretty sticky stuff.

#8 ·
Surpluss Center

THere is a mail order place called Surplus Center that has all the parts needed to build your own pressure washers.
I am sure they have what you would need to make any type of sprayer you want.
Also try Northern Tools (They are on the web)

#9 ·
seadog,

I was sure the one I saw had to be yours. It seems most of the Pilots around here are silver or black. This one was Red Rock Pearl with running boards, fog lights and a front brush guard. Kind of distinctive and sounded just like yours.

#13 ·
Intake mods

One of the reasons I cautioned against those modifications to the air intake is because of this. I suppose it's not a big deal in warmer climates but it is definately not an enclosed space.
You don't have to submerge the car to get lots of stuff in there.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.