Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rape is definitely too strong a word, but 'take advantage of' doesn't get as much attention. I'm a total newbie and would like to be one of the eilte Pilot gang. A Honda salesman told me that the running board would cost $1,500 for parts and labor. With that rate, it would cost me 6k to get all my wanted accessories (lower trim, fog lights, tow pkg, splash guards, running boards, cross bar, & day/night mirror) installed.:3:

Does Honda provide an estimation of the installation cost for the accessories on its web site? I can't find it. Am I correct that the MSRP on the accessories are for parts only? I think someone here said that the labor is extra.

I found 2 other dealers who would sell the EX-L DVD with the above accessories installed for $33,900. Destination price is included. Does this sound like a reasonable price? Urgent replies much appreciated! Many thanks!!!:6:

·
Registered
180 Posts
depends on where you are... some parts of the country are pretty soft in price relative to high demand areas.

Others have used the internet prices on parts to negotiate, or get the dealer to throw in the parts at their cost. There are some standard installation rates too, but usually they are higher than the amount of time actually required so those rates can be negotiated. Just to be clear, the "standard installation rate" statement refers to the hours estimated for the install, not the hourly rate, which varies by dealer and area of the country.

It's worth it to spend a few minutes on the phone, especially if you are convinced of the options you want. Get a starting point and then keep the dealers going by asking them to beat it by some non-trivial amount. Eventually you'll get to the best price you'll be able to get. If they won't move on to the next.

Good luck. You can also follow the guidance listed at edmunds.com or do a search within this forum on "rizzo method" which describes another (similar) approach in greater detail.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Estimated Cost

Just picked up my Sandstone EX two weeks ago. No haggling on MSRP of $29,730 which included the delivery charge. No vehicles available in my area. I got the following accessories including installation for $2,189:

Tow Package
Running Boards
Rear Muds
Fog Lamps
Cargo Tray
All Season Mats
6 CD Player/Changer (Now in-dash)

According to www.hondacars.com where you can build and price your car, those accessories with installation would be about $3000.00. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
luvflix said:

I found 2 other dealers who would sell the EX-L DVD with the above accessories installed for $33,900.
I think you got your answer.

If 2 other dealers are a whole lot lower ther eis no reason to use dealer #1.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
luvflix said:
Rape is definitely too strong a word, but 'take advantage of' doesn't get as much attention. I'm a total newbie and would like to be one of the eilte Pilot gang. A Honda salesman told me that the running board would cost $1,500 for parts and labor. With that rate, it would cost me 6k to get all my wanted accessories (lower trim, fog lights, tow pkg, splash guards, running boards, cross bar, & day/night mirror) installed.:3:

Does Honda provide an estimation of the installation cost for the accessories on its web site? I can't find it. Am I correct that the MSRP on the accessories are for parts only? I think someone here said that the labor is extra.

I found 2 other dealers who would sell the EX-L DVD with the above accessories installed for $33,900. Destination price is included. Does this sound like a reasonable price? Urgent replies much appreciated! Many thanks!!!:6:

well MSRP of EXL-RES with des is 32480 so the two dealers are charging you 1420 for the accessories. You can see the MSRP of the accessories you want and make a decision.
Honda says the labour rate fro honda is $70/hour (on the web-site)....

Best of luck....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Estimated Cost

...Sandstone EX two weeks ago...
6 CD Player/Changer (Now in-dash)...

Can this be true... a 6 disc changer is now available in the EX model? Do you know if its only available on the base EX or on the EX DVD or RES models as well?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Welcome luvflix! Sounds like your have your guard up & that's a good thing. Do your research & listen to the Pilot guru's here! Don't be in a hurry! Get what you want for what you wanna pay.
Good luck & keep us posted!! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick response, everyone. I didn't realize Honda has an hourly rate of $70. I know the amount varies at different regions but it's a good base for estimating the cost for installing the accessories. I'm quite sure that the 1st sales guy tried to gouge me. Like so many of you have advised, it pays to shop around.

It looks like the XM radio, the 6-disc indash changer, and the cell phone interphase are all newer items. I found them here .

Fro those who are looking for a similar configuration, I can offer the price break down on my deal. The EX-L DVD including the destination charge is $30,916, i.e., $1,546 discount. The installed accessories cost $2,900. They are:
Fog lights
Lower trim
Tow pkg
R. splash guards
Day/night mirror
Running board
Cross bars for roof rack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts