Discussion Starter #1
TSB 19-045
April 12, 2019

AFFECTED VEHICLES
2019 Odyssey
2018-2019 Pilot
2019 Ridgeline

BACKGROUND
During production, a supplier produced some timing belts that do not meet specification. These timing belts may shred
or slip, causing the cam shafts to fall out of timing. Camshafts that are out of timing will set DTC P0341: CMP Sensor
and CKP Sensor Incorrect Phase Detected and/or DTC P0369: CMP Sensor Circuit Intermittent Interruption and the
engine will run rough. Additionally, shredded timing belts may cause the vehicle to stall and not be able to restart, which
increases the risk of a crash.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.
Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used vehicle inventory.
Failure to repair a vehicle subject to a recall or campaign may subject your dealership to claims or lawsuits from the
customer or anyone else harmed as a result of such failure. To see if a vehicle in inventory is affected by this safety
recall, do a VIN status inquiry before selling it.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Inspect the timing belt and, if necessary, replace the timing belt. If the lot codes are not visible or the timing belt is
damaged, a cylinder leak down test may be required and, based on those results, further repairs may be required.

NOTE
Only a small percentage of vehicles are expected to have timing belts that are out of specification. Only order
replacement parts after you have identified an out-of-spec timing belt.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Very interesting. I had to call Honda today to follow up on a case I opened regarding not being able to sign up for the 3 month trial period of the in vehicle hotspot. When I was going through their menu on the phone to get the correct department, I was notified that my 2019 had a safety recall on it regarding the timing belt. It said to check the Honda Owner's site for more information.

Signed into the Owner's site and nothing there regarding the recall. Called Honda back but could only get the same recording that sent me to the Owner's site. Did a few Google searches and even checked here but found nothing.

Thanks for posting this. My 2019 VIN ends in 007855 so I know it was a relatively newer one off the line. It was built in August of 2018.

By the way, I had opened the case regarding the hot spot because when I registered, AT&T said my vehicle was in the system as having a "demo" version of the hot spot assigned to Honda Corporation. I sent that information and a screen shot showing Honda in California as being the registered account and it even showed an in car phone number. Opened the case last Thursday, April 11th. Had heard NOTHING from Honda even though the site said an answer would be given within 5 days. Today, 8 days later I had still not heard anything.

I called this morning and was told after a few minutes that my case had been sent to the "department" that deals with that, but as of yet it had NOT been assigned to anyone to look into it!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Honda Dealer called me Wednesday about the timing belt, brought my car in yesterday and my belt checked out ok. I bought my 19 EXL in August.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Many thanks. Just checked our VIN and it is affected. Will be making an appointment to take it in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Many thanks. Just checked our VIN and it is affected. Will be making an appointment to take it in.

Were you able to check your VIN on the owners (dot) honda (dot) com website? My VIN ends in 9442 and looks to have been received by the local dealer last August. When I check the VIN on the Honda site it states there ar not any open recalls.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Were you able to check your VIN on the owners (dot) honda (dot) com website? My VIN ends in 9442 and looks to have been received by the local dealer last August. When I check the VIN on the Honda site it states there ar not any open recalls.
Posted that checking the Honda site mine doesn't show any open recalls either (just checked again now) yet when calling the Honda phone number it tells me my VIN is included in the recall.

If you have a phone number associated with your Honda Owner's account, try calling Honda at 1-800-999-1009 using that phone. Their system recognizes your number and your account and that's how mine showed up as needing inspection.

Honda hours are M-F 6AM-5PM PST. You might try calling today and may get the recorded menu which may automatically associate your phone number with your vehicle.

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
Sticker on the B pillar drivers side should month/year when it was built.

Honda's recall site is probably not be as up to date as Honda corporate internal records. If you read the TSB owners will be notified.

Given the nature of this TSB, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes an official recall on NTSB as well. Perhaps Honda is doing that but the NTSB is too slow getting themselves into gear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, being CDN, I was able to confirm the recall against the VIN on the myhonda.ca site. When making the online appointment with the dealer, it also showed up there under the VIN also. The recall notice from the dealer's appointment system stated that they needed 48 hours to order parts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyone having any concerns about continuing to drive their vehicle until the dealer has a look at it?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Anyone having any concerns about continuing to drive their vehicle until the dealer has a look at it?
No concerns on my end even though it is listed as needing looked at. I think if it was a serious enough defect that might break sooner than later, Honda would have issued a no drive statement. I'll get it looked at within the next week if the dealer can get me in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a recall, so it WILL show up on Honda owners and NHTSA websites...eventually. Here's the timeline for the 2019 Ridgeline fuel pump recall as an example:

January 25, 2019 - a TSB was issued to dealers - some dealers began proactively notifying customers or catching vehicles as they were brought in for service
February 8, 2019 - Honda released an official statement on the recall and news outlets began spreading the word.
February 14, 2019 - Details were posted on the NHTSA website.
Early March 2019 - Honda began mailing out recall notices.

If this Pilot/Odyssey/Ridgeline timing belt recall follows a similar timeline, expect Honda to make an official announcement later this week or early next week followed by additional details on the NHTSA website the first week of March.

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
Until we see the data on the NTSB site, if you have a Pilot that the dealer wants to inspect due to this problem please post date of manufacture.
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
This (below) is a more comprehensive explanation of this issue and, more specifically, which timing belts may be affected and why. Special thanks to zroger73 for posting it on the Ridgeline board.

Based on what zroger73 explains here, I doubt the forthcoming Safety Recall notice will indicate which vehicles need to be inspected based solely on a vehicle's VIN number. VIN numbers will only be the starting point. Ultimately a physical inspection will then required to check for the specific lot numbers of potentially affected belts.

"Individual timing belts are cut from a wide sheet. Each belt is marked with numbers that indicate its position on the sheet. Apparently, belts with position numbers greater than 170 from specific lots made by Gates Unitta contained a manufacturing error that could cause premature belt failure.

We don't know what the manufacturing error was at this point, but since it appears to only affect belts cut from one side of the sheet, it could have been something like poor vulcanization or missing threads due to faulty manufacturing equipment. The 573 defect and non-compliance report filed with the NHTSA should reveal additional details.

Each lot yields multiple belts. Only a portion of each lot is affected. Honda stated, "Only a small percentage of vehicles are expected to have timing belts that are out of specification."

It appears not all VIN's require inspection. . . .

If a VIN is affected, the lot code must be read from the timing belt. If the lot code has already worn off, the timing belt must be replaced because there's no way of knowing at that point if it's one of the affected belts or not.

If the lot code is legible and it's not on the list, you're good to go.

If the lot code is legible and it matches one of the affected lot codes, the position number must then be read form the belt. If the position number indicates that it was on the affected side of the sheet, the timing belt must be replaced. If the position number indicates that it was on the unaffected side of the sheet, then you're good to go.

If the lot code isn't visible or if the timing belt appears damaged, a cylinder leak down test must be performed to assess the condition of the engine. If the engine has sustained damage, it gets replaced.
"

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had my 2019 Honda Pilot Elite in for service on April 24 for the timing belt recall.
The technician wrote "Performed inspection of timing belt".
The result was "Belt passed inspection."
The inspection took about an hour.
Service advisor said "You are all set, no further action needed".

* * Vehicle information * *
Last 6 digits of VIN = 008464
Odometer reading = 1,557 miles
Production date = 08/2018
Purchase date = 01/2019

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, got a notification on the infotainment screen soon as I started the truck this morning. Message was delivered via Honda link. I am not due for service yet as I still have 40% oil. Can I wait until my next oil change and knock both at the same time instead of showing up twice at the dealership? I am guessing mine will also be a one hour inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just checked the Honda Owners website and the recalls are now showing. Mine was built in 12/2018 and will need to be taken in for inspection.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts