Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An 11 year-old boy here lost his life Wednesday. His mother made the mistake of giving him the keys to her '98 Buick and allowing him to spend time alone in the car while she attended an event at a school. Somehow, the boy turned on the ignition and rolled up the driver's power window on his neck. His mother came out twenty minutes later to find the boy dead.

Our newspaper covered the story, pointing out that accidents like this could be prevented by auto makers, simply by adding an auto-reverse function to the power windows. The newspaper contacted GM, and after commenting on the Mother's negligence, GM mentioned that they offer electric window auto-reverse protection on their Cadillac models.

We are fortunate that our Honda Pilot's have this important safety feature. I tried it - while the Pilot was parked, I stuck my arm out the driver's window and raised the glass. Without too much resistance, the window reversed and stopped. Unlike GM, Honda considers auto-reverse on electric windows to be important enough to include in new Honda models - not just Acura. Thanks, Honda!

·
Registered
461 Posts
See my other post....about trying this feature. It didn't work on my Pilot, nor on another owners. Sadly, it would only work if a child was sitting in the driver's seat...not any other. I think Honda has a problem with this auto reverse feature. I'll have a dealership repair the auto feature on the one window it is supposed to work on. I've just had to lock the others, and give up on rolling the passenger window down for any reason.

After the pressure that window put on my arm, I can see how the child died. I was shocked at just how much power that window had.:( What a tragic accident.:(

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the auto-reverse on my driver's window and it worked very well. I have not tried the other windows, but I will carefully try them this weekend. I assumed if one window had the feature, they all would. Everyone knows what assuming does. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
foxhallow said:
I tried the auto-reverse on my driver's window and it worked very well. I have not tried the other windows, but I will carefully try it this weekend. I assumed if one window had the feature, they all would. Everyone knows what assuming does.
Auto-reverse is not designed to reverse the window when it is MANUALLY being put up. It should reverse teh window when it is on Auto-up.
Since only the drivers window has auto-up, then only the drivers needs auto reverse.

Have you noticed that the Honda window switches put the window down when leaned on, unlike some brands that use toggle switches that can go up or down depending on which way they are leaned on?

·
Registered
186 Posts
foxhallow said:
I tried the auto-reverse on my driver's window and it worked very well. I have not tried the other windows, but I will carefully try them this weekend. I assumed if one window had the feature, they all would. Everyone knows what assuming does. :rolleyes:
I suggest if you try on any window other than the driver's, that you use something other than one of your body parts to test it. :rolleyes:

bakerlar

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
bakerlar said:

I suggest if you try on any window other than the driver's, that you use something other than one of your body parts to test it. :rolleyes:

bakerlar
That is the only window that goes up automatically, so it is the only one that reverses automatically.

It is designed to prevent accidents, stupidity is a whole other issue.
:2: :2: :2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts