Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the local stations ran a news item tonight featuring a guy who wrote a book critical of SUVs. The focus of the story was the safety of grill guards.

According to this guy, grill guards not only cause extensive damage to other vehicles in an accident, but they may also reduce the effectiveness of the crash protection built into the vehicle, since a steel grill guard places a rigid structure in front of the body's deformable surfaces and crumple zones.

This argument would seem to have some validity, and recently I have wondered if a trailer hitch would have a similar effect in a rear-end collision, transferring some of the force of impact directly to the frame (or the unibody equivalent).

Does anyone here have any experience with this type of collision damage, or other thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Had that thought;

For a second and then went back to wanting more cool accessories.
:2:

Actually there was a discussion about the rear end protection that the hitch would provide. (might have been here or on the MDX site)
My first thoughs was that it could cause more damage by transfering the force directly further into the vehicle.
I later wondered if that is why the Honda hitch is tied to the rear crossmember (first piece behind the bumper) in addition to the frame rails on the side. Most aftermarket hitches do not attach there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good points.
The grill guards that extend out and wrap around the headlights puzzle me. Seems to me more body damage would be caused to the vehicle if they are bumped slightly than would happen if they didn't exist! A very light blow they help, a heavier one they hurt by bending back and damaging areas that would have been untouched. BTW for all who have bought or are about to buy the grille guards that have small bars in front of the headlights, they are illegal under FMVSS regulations, NOTHING can be in front of the headlights. Some jurisdictions have been writing tickets for this.

Al

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Those regulators, someone need to give then a real job.
They OBVIOUSLY have way too much time to sit and think!

·
Registered
260 Posts
No comment on whether this law is appropriate;) The following is an example of what the Feds deem illegal-

Al

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Well that pic would make just about every brush guard illegal.
Guess they will all be getting stickers that read "For Off Road Use Only"

Seems for every law there is a sticker.

Best I ever saw was in a California Winery.

Typical Drinking-Driving warning (Real Sign)
Typical Drinking while pregnant warning (Real Sign)
Added sign - "Becoming pregnant while operating a motor vehical cuold be Hazardous!"

·
Registered
798 Posts
Trailer hitch to protect from rear-end accident?

hop23 said:
One of the local stations ran a news item tonight featuring a guy who wrote a book critical of SUVs. The focus of the story was the safety of grill guards.

According to this guy, grill guards not only cause extensive damage to other vehicles in an accident, but they may also reduce the effectiveness of the crash protection built into the vehicle, since a steel grill guard places a rigid structure in front of the body's deformable surfaces and crumple zones.

This argument would seem to have some validity, and recently I have wondered if a trailer hitch would have a similar effect in a rear-end collision, transferring some of the force of impact directly to the frame (or the unibody equivalent).

Does anyone here have any experience with this type of collision damage, or other thoughts on the subject?
I know this is an old thread, but, it's the closest to my question. I just bought the Honda trailer hitch for my '06 EX-L for one reason... added protection in case I get rear-ended. A good friend got involved in a minor rear-end accident (he was hit) in his Chevy Tahoe. He had the factory trailer hitch and they barely left a scratch on his car. The hitch did a number on the other guys car though.

So, now that everyone's had a few years to think about this, is it a good or a bad idea to have a trailer hitch to protect the back end of our beloved Pilots?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Trailer hitch to protect from rear-end accident?

larrys said:

I know this is an old thread, but, it's the closest to my question. I just bought the Honda trailer hitch for my '06 EX-L for one reason... added protection in case I get rear-ended. A good friend got involved in a minor rear-end accident (he was hit) in his Chevy Tahoe. He had the factory trailer hitch and they barely left a scratch on his car. The hitch did a number on the other guys car though.

So, now that everyone's had a few years to think about this, is it a good or a bad idea to have a trailer hitch to protect the back end of our beloved Pilots?
No one has hit me yet, but the hitch (Honda) and a Hitch step saved a bumper dent when I backed into a small pole (was to short to see with the mirrors)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Buying either of these things as supplemental bumpers seems like buying a sunroof to provide an emergency exit - there might be a far-fetched circumstance where it would help, but it's not really designed for this purpose. And both grill guards and hitches are hell on other vehicles and pedestrians. If you hit a pedestrian with a front grill guard that is marked "off road use only" you better have great liability insurance.

Whizmo

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: Trailer hitch to protect from rear-end accident?

larrys said:

Old thread, but i had the same thought of buying a hitch for my '06 for added protection. Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts