Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Safeguards for buying-selling Pilot parts from members?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  colorider 
#1 ·
I am considering some buying Honda accessories that other members of this board are posting in the classified ads.

What safeguards or process should one take when buying or selling Pilot accessories from other members of this board? Is this just a leap of faith that the buyer will get the purchased part and the seller gets the $$ especially when shipping is involved?

Any advice for those that have negoitiated parts from members?

#2 ·
JT: When you buy from other members of the board, the one thing to remember is: Caveat emptor!! Literally: let him beware; let the buyer beware (he alone is responsible for making a bad purchase). You may have a security net with online purchases and a credit card, but if you're paying with a check... If you're close enough, perhaps arrange a meeting to go pick it up??? Sorry...

#4 ·
You might want to read the warranty info for the associated parts. I know Honda accessories have a 1 year warranty, but you need a proof of purchase when you take the part in for replacement or repair. At the very least, you'd need the seller's original invoice.

I don't know if the warranty is transferable to second parties. Anybody have the papers from an accessory purchase handy?

#5 ·
tim.s said:
You might want to read the warranty info for the associated parts. I know Honda accessories have a 1 year warranty, but you need a proof of purchase when you take the part in for replacement or repair. At the very least, you'd need the seller's original invoice.

I don't know if the warranty is transferable to second parties. Anybody have the papers from an accessory purchase handy?
Here's mine from Tim for the cargo organizer (most recent purchase). It basically says you need this invoice for any claims...

Attachments

#7 ·
I am not so concerned about the warranty on this item. I want a full size spare with the EX wheel. There have been several posted on this site for sale by members but none in my area so that I could drive to pick it up. I guess if I do this it will be a leap of faith that I get my wheel and tire and the seller gets my $$.

#8 ·
jtvicknair said:
-snip-
I guess if I do this it will be a leap of faith that I get my wheel and tire and the seller gets my $$.
This is kinda sad that we cannot trust each other (I know - NEVER trust anyone). The "virtual motorcycle club" I belong to for ST1100's has about 4,000 members - perhaps 300 or so are active on our mail list. Most, if not all, of us have bought and sold from each other over the years and I can only recall an isolated case or two where someone got "had". When it has happened, the person was "black-listed" on the mail list which pretty much takes care of him until he makes it right. Many times the seller asks that the buyer send a check first before he will ship, but in many cases we the two parties mail/ship the same time - all in "good faith".

Today an noon I am meeting a fellow lister that I am buying a rear monoshock from. We would have simply mailed the items, but it was handy to meet in this case (plus he didn't need much of an excuse to go for a ride!!).

YMMV

#9 ·
Hmmm, I know I've bought quite a few things from others using Paypal. Basically you both have to have e-mail accounts and be registered. The person that sends the money does so using their credit card and pays no fee, the person receiving the $ must pay .85 or something like that. You would have a record of payment and it's instantaneous. I think Paypal even has a 'complaints' department if you get defrauded on a purchase, could be wrong.
Hope this helps :)

G

#10 ·
jtvicknair said:
I am not so concerned about the warranty on this item. I want a full size spare with the EX wheel. There have been several posted on this site for sale by members but none in my area so that I could drive to pick it up. I guess if I do this it will be a leap of faith that I get my wheel and tire and the seller gets my $$.
Generally people on forums I would tend to trust as much if not more than an eBay seller. There are a lot of good people here :)

Part of the reason is accountability. If you have a member in good standing, chances are they wouldn't ever think of defrauding anyone, just because nobody wants to be called to task on problems that might occur.

It took me a while to figure out why no other online accessories stores actually post on forums like this one. Sure, it's a time factor....I can't get here as much as I'd like to sometimes, but more than that is the accountability factor. We're two guys shipping about 30 orders a day anywhere from 50-100 packages all across the US and Canada, which is always a challenge, but we just do the best job we can and work as hard as we can every day.

So anyways, I wouldn't worry about it personally. You tend to think that honesty would be expected from anyone in this circle.

#11 ·
hondacuraworld said:

Generally people on forums I would tend to trust as much if not more than an eBay seller. There are a lot of good people here :)

-snip-

So anyways, I wouldn't worry about it personally. You tend to think that honesty would be expected from anyone in this circle.
Well stated Tim! That exactly what I was trying to say above when I related my experience on the ST1100 forum!!

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.