Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
If I had a complaint on S-VCM, it would be the light weight wiring. Just one size up would be an improvement. It is important not to lay the wiring on top of the battery, if you have an Acid Filled. These can emit vapors that can damage/corrode the wiring. I also recommended running the wire around the back of the battery.
Yeah, but it's so light weight, it's invisible! IYKWIM (not that I'd ever take it to the dealer)

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Yeah, but it's so light weight, it's invisible! IYKWIM (not that I'd ever take it to the dealer)
That's very well hidden.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
30 Posts
Aside from VCM, a J35 engine should be pretty easy on oil. Maybe there's a thread, but I'd be curious about before/after oil analysis before/after VCM muzzle, fuel dilution etc.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Aside from VCM, a J35 engine should be pretty easy on oil. Maybe there's a thread, but I'd be curious about before/after oil analysis before/after VCM muzzle, fuel dilution etc.
I don't believe fuel dilution in V6s has ever been a problem. It's always been oil consumption. Supposedly the engineers have corrected this by opening the valves to deactivated cylinders in 3rd gens.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't believe fuel dilution in V6s has ever been a problem. It's always been oil consumption. Supposedly the engineers have corrected this by opening the valves to deactivated cylinders in 3rd gens.
Not to mention getting rid of a lot of cam hardware. I take it they shut the injectors off? I think they'll still have thermal and harmonic imbalance problems. So much for air pump theory.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Not to mention getting rid of a lot of cam hardware. I take it they shut the injectors off? I think they'll still have thermal and harmonic imbalance problems. So much for air pump theory.
Still waiting for someone to let me know how well their V6 runs after they pull the front 3 coils.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,165 Posts
So, for those that have installed this. How much actual mpg have you lost?
ON the same average drives, the same driving styles, etc.? Noting really. I filled up before and after adding the SVCM. I divided miles/gallons in the pump gauge. Less than 1. I'll do as few more tanks to see.
That is a close mix of hwy and city/suburbs. Getting around 20.5-21mpg.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Man, I have had mine for a few months but have not installed it. I monitor my VCM activation and honestly it hardly comes on but I can tell when coasting and it activates, the lag in throttle once accelerating for sure is the VCM. Vegas summer with the AC it hardly activates. I think also because I have 265/60/18 Nitto Ridgegrappler (30.5" vs 29.5") and some wind drag from a Thule roof basket.

I was surprised to see it trip on once when towing our little camping trailer at 70mph, trailer is 2000lbs plus camping gear, 2 adults and 2 children.

I need to hurry and install it to see if there is an improvement.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Man, I have had mine for a few months but have not installed it. I monitor my VCM activation and honestly it hardly comes on but I can tell when coasting and it activates, the lag in throttle once accelerating for sure is the VCM. Vegas summer with the AC it hardly activates. I think also because I have 265/60/18 Nitto Ridgegrappler (30.5" vs 29.5") and some wind drag from a Thule roof basket.

I was surprised to see it trip on once when towing our little camping trailer at 70mph, trailer is 2000lbs plus camping gear, 2 adults and 2 children.

I need to hurry and install it to see if there is an improvement.
Takes 10 minutes at the most. I would not delay.

Reactions: skadoo323

·
Registered
90 Posts
My S-VCM has been installed for 2.5 trouble free years now. Yesterday I saw the ECO light briefly come on. Then again with the typical vcm vibration. Today, ECO (vcm) was fully functioning again. Emailed the company and he asked me to check coolant level. All seems good but the S-VCM module is no longer functioning. I removed it to verify it wasn‘t masking some vehicle mechanical issue. My Pilot is functioning properly, so it looks like the module has failed. Time to buy another as the vcm vibration is already driving me nuts.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My S-VCM has been installed for 2.5 trouble free years now. Yesterday I saw the ECO light briefly come on. Then again with the typical vcm vibration. Today, ECO (vcm) was fully functioning again. Emailed the company and he asked me to check coolant level. All seems good but the S-VCM module is no longer functioning. I removed it to verify it wasn‘t masking some vehicle mechanical issue. My Pilot is functioning properly, so it looks like the module has failed. Time to buy another as the vcm vibration is already driving me nuts.
Yikes. Have you had any battery issues or jump started the car lately? Did the company offer anything other than advice to check your coolant level? What is your temp gauge reading?

I just switched to a S-VCM from a perfectly good working passive VCMuzzler II (just uses resistors - no electronics). I think I'll keep the VCMuzzler where I can find it if needed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just installed my S-VCM on my 2020 EX-L AWD and used some
1/4” wire loom split tubing auto wire conduit flexible cover so it matches the rest of the wiring
around that area and protects the small gauge wire. Hides it nicely also. Harbor Freight 10' for $5.00.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts