Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Congrats 🎉 on the install. MPG will dip a bit due to overzealous throttle input but it’s okay. Happy engine happy Piloteer. Looking forward for longer-term results.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Installed one on my 2020 with 6300 miles. Subtle vibration in steering wheel at highway cruising speeds is gone. Car more responsive. I haven't noticed any difference in fuel mileage on the highway.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats 🎉 on the install. MPG will dip a bit due to overzealous throttle input but it’s okay. Happy engine happy Piloteer. Looking forward for longer-term results.
Thanks. The transmission seems to have a better feel too.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed one on my 2020 with 6300 miles. Subtle vibration in steering wheel at highway cruising speeds is gone. Car more responsive. I haven't noticed any difference in fuel mileage on the highway.
The 19 didn’t have any vibs on the highway before. I did notice the transmission seems more smoother.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
264 Posts
Just installed on my wife’s 19 EXL. Definitely drives like V6 now. She’s only got 20K miles. I should of done this sooner. Same on Honda for VCM. Hopefully the fuel economy doesn’t drop too much, lol.
Which one did you get? Can you share a link?

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
264 Posts
Thank you.
I've been debating on this for a while.

A little surprised it's so noticeable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After installing it I didn’t think I would notice it much. Now it sounds and feels like a V6 is the only way I can describe it.
When it is noticeable the most? I understand vcm is most active during highway and light throttle cruising. I am a new owner of a 17 and haven't felt it out quite yet but notice the deactivated cylinders.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When it is noticeable the most? I understand vcm is most active during highway and light throttle cruising. I am a new owner of a 17 and haven't felt it out quite yet but notice the deactivated cylinders.
I haven’t gotten it yet on the highway. I did get up to 60 in an 55 zone and felt great. I’m a light throttle driver and it feels like it wants to go. The transmission shifts seem to feel better too. I think it’s worth it.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
582 Posts
The most noticeable thing for me was the coasting down to a stop and the smoother downshifts. Also there is no hesitation when accelerating after coasting a bit. Slight loss of fuel economy but it is definitely worth it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I recently purchased and installed the S-VCM. It maintains a constant 164 F so it works, no issues.

But FYI - they don't give you ANY slack in the wires at all. The way that they want you to zip tie everything together is pretty annoying to do given the short cable length. The power wire is long enough if you don't mind a cable just randomly laying in your engine bay. If it was only 12" longer, it could have been routed much neater and cleaner. I'm happy with the performance of the product but not the quality. The type of wire that they use is very cheap too. The insulation is rubbery and can be stripped off very easily.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I recently purchased and installed the S-VCM. It maintains a constant 164 F so it works, no issues.

But FYI - they don't give you ANY slack in the wires at all. The way that they want you to zip tie everything together is pretty annoying to do given the short cable length. The power wire is long enough if you don't mind a cable just randomly laying in your engine bay. If it was only 12" longer, it could have been routed much neater and cleaner. I'm happy with the performance of the product but not the quality. The type of wire that they use is very cheap too. The insulation is rubbery and can be stripped off very easily.
I noticed that too. I zipped tied mine different than they recommended. I ran the power wire along the back side of the battery and round the positive terminal to the back side of the positive terminal.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts

If I had a complaint on S-VCM, it would be the light weight wiring. Just one size up would be an improvement. It is important not to lay the wiring on top of the battery, if you have an Acid Filled. These can emit vapors that can damage/corrode the wiring. I also recommended running the wire around the back of the battery.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I had a complaint on S-VCM, it would be the light weight wiring. Just one size up would be an improvement. It is important not to lay the wiring on top of the battery, if you have an Acid Filled. These can emit vapors that can damage/corrode the wiring. I also recommended running the wire around the back of the battery.
That’s what I kinda did. Except I fed it between the positive post and battery routed it to the back connection on the positive side.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,223 Posts
I think the power wire is such a small gauge, because it meets or beats spec. for the current it draws.

I don't mind it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,223 Posts
I agree.

Here's my thread about it:

Reactions: EFICTION
1 - 20 of 106 Posts