Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up about this product S-VCM

Purchased it when I got my 2011 about 2 years ago, product was easy to install and worked as advertised. Keeps temperature reading at 158F and thus ECO mode never activates. Results in very weak fuel mileage of about 17mpg combined.

Recently, fuel gauge on the dash started to act up. While driving and engine at operating temp, it would drop to 0 or near 0, then bounce around, the drop again to 0, then return to normal after a while, the 0 out again, etc.

I presumed faulty temp sender, got new one, installed, same symptoms.

Disconnected S-VCM, and dash again reads temperature properly, no weird fluctuations.

So, issue isolated to S-VCM dongle.

Contacted vendor twice via his site, no reply. ECO mode is back and Pilot feels like its got Parkinsons.

Time to toss S-VCM in the garbage and try another VCM eliminator

If you buy S-VCM, don't expect support when it fails.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Bad on them for not getting back to you. It will be interested to see if another VCM device has the same result. Which one are you thinking of getting?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I installed the "VCMuzzler" when I bought our '10 Pilot. 80,000 miles later and it's performed flawlessly (180,000+ total miles now). ECO never lights up, absolutely no oil usage, fuel mileage great + temp gauge is only slightly low, so simple to "read". It neither helped or increased a pesky "pinging" issue, so that's apparently another little issue. In any event, there's always "new & improved" coming along it seems, but Verbatim's simple solution works well in its simplicity and I've just never seen reason to fix what isn't broken...except, of course, to "fix" the OEM VCM issues to begin with the VCMuzzler. YMMV. Mc

·
Registered
594 Posts
OP, if you want another 'smart' muzzler you might want to check out VCM Tuner II. Understandable if you want to go the fixed resistor route instead to limit possible points of failure.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The original VCMMuzzler, when dialed in with the right resistor for the vehicle works superbly. Dead simple and elegant at the same time. I tweaked my resistor value to report 161 ~ 165F to the PCM under 98% of operating conditions. The only time it reports above 167F where VCM comes on, is occasionally idling at lights in the Winter, where neither the radiator fan or A/C fan is running. I figure it can't hurt to "exercise" the VCM mechanism a half dozen times a year for a few minutes. MPG is at least within the EPA ranges. Sometimes ~23MPG on freeeway in the Winter (Texas Winter).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was trying to avoid resistor, and liked the idea of smart vcm eliminator. Mostly afraid of fan(s) crapping out and not realizing overheating condition. I will look into VCM Muzzler 2 and see what's up. Strangely enough been driving with ECO mode and pinging on acceleration sound is gone???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts