Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow piloteers. Happy holidays!!!

So....I’m familiar with VCM and the negative effects VCM has on the engine long term, which is why I purchased and installed the s-vcm just this week on my newly purchased 2013 touring model. The S-VCM is working as expected and is giving me the exact results I’ve been wanting.

That being said...I’m curious if anyone has learned of any negative side effects to using the S-VCM, or overall if there’s any negative side effect of using anything that completely disables the VCM. I’m aware that technically I’ll get worse gas mileage having installed the s-vcm. But I’m also aware that it’s negligible.
So what’s the consensus? Is there any short term or ping term negatives to disabling vcm other than gas mileage?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
No long-term issues at all with VCM disabled. I keep a pretty comprehensive log for the car, and for the driving I do it has had no negative effect on fuel consumption.

I was initially OK with VCM, but the hunting and gear selection issues at freeway speed with cruise engaged was less the stellar and certainly beneath the way the car should run. Then some more analysis and reports from others with much worse symptoms sealed the decision for me. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, especially after reading reports here from folks with cylinder damage. Honda agreed to extend the engine warranty of VCM damage too. They won't go after the problem, but will go after those failure symptoms.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No long-term issues at all with VCM disabled. I keep a pretty comprehensive log for the car, and for the driving I do it has had no negative effect on fuel consumption.

I was initially OK with VCM, but the hunting and gear selection issues at freeway speed with cruise engaged was less the stellar and certainly beneath the way the car should run. Then some more analysis and reports from others with much worse symptoms sealed the decision for me. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, especially after reading reports here from folks with cylinder damage. Honda agreed to extend the engine warranty of VCM damage too. They won't go after the problem, but will go after those failure symptoms.
Yeah....before I purchased I had my mechanic to a valve pressure test to see if there had already been any issues as a result of the vcm. Thankfully, none. But I figure for $100 let’s just disable and not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
My experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts