Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a retired English mechanical engineer, living in Sweden, toying with the idea of purchasing a low milage ´clean´ 9 speed 2016 4X4 Pilot.
It was imported from the US 2 years ago with the sole intention of being sold here - but has been standing unsold outdoors at the dealer...
This Honda model has never been available/sold in Sweden.
It appears to be a vehicle that could suit me and my needs - my local Honda service station tell me they can service this model.
I've been reading as much as I can about it and studying the pros and cons.
The motor start stop system many complain about can be solved or modified by a ´fix´ mentioned on your Forum.
But many testers/owners seem to have complained about the unconventional gear selection system.
If a complete 6 speed gear lever selector unit can be obtained - can this be fitted to the 9 speed instead? The centre consul looks identical on both vehicles.
Once Drive is selected, gear changes are autonomous - and even the other positions, Park, Reverse and Neutral, must be merely switches.
With luck, the electric connecter is the same for both gearboxes...
Is there a Honda mechanic ´out there´ that can confirm this?
Grateful for any thoughts and ideas.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

We do have another member here from Sweden who is also a pilot owner. Hopefully Steffo will be able to give you information about owning a Pilot in Sweden if you have any questions. There also may be other owners in Sweden that I am not aware of.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I think you're on the right track, the biggest question is the wiring harness being the same and if it isn't are the I/O for the wires the same... but you mentioned many owner's dislike the shifter, do you? I don't think there have been complaints outside of people spilling drinks on them saying they didn't work.

Most shifters are just switches now, I miss the old linkages personally.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
From what I have seen, I do not believe you can change out shifters. The 6 speed transmission is I believe a Honda design, and uses a mechanical shifter and link between the actual shifter to the transmission.

2016 6 speed shifter

The Zf 9 transmission was designed and is built by ZF Friedrichshafen. It is an electrically controlled shifter.

2016 9 speed shifter

My Pilot was a second Generation (2013) so I can't say for sure. I do know that my 2013 had a mechanical link as I had to take the console housing apart. Maybe someone will be able to show that I am wrong and have a solution for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s an independent dealer, not affiliated to any one manufacturer. They import privately and have other imported vehicles for sale...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts