Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Lol
Ya, tax, shipping takes some of your savings, but still, after you divide it out, you still save big buying from RA.
I buy most stuff on Amazon ... not cheap but fast. And no tax and no shipping. They send UPS to pickup the returns. Doesn't get easier than that.
Yes, I looked around and RA does have good prices, especially compared to the dealerships I never go to.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I buy most stuff on Amazon ... not cheap but fast. And no tax and no shipping. They send UPS to pickup the returns. Doesn't get easier than that.
Yes, I looked around and RA does have good prices, especially compared to the dealerships I never go to.
I buy on Amazon sometimes. Single items especially. But when I need multiple items, suddenly I find that Amazons free shipping isn't so free. They rarely give a break for a multiple purchase of the same item.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I buy on Amazon sometimes. Single items especially. But when I need multiple items, suddenly I find that Amazons free shipping isn't so free. They rarely give a break for a multiple purchase of the same item.
Get Amazon Prime and use an American Express Blue Cash Everyday card to buy it with. You get 20% back on everything you buy on Amazon in the first 6 months up to $200 which more than pays for Prime. Plus 3% on groceries and 2% on gas and 1% on everything else. No annual fee. Attach Honey to your browser and it will dig up any discount codes for any product. If you buy enough, they pay you to shop there. 😇

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Get Amazon Prime and use an American Express Blue Cash Everyday card to buy it with. You get 20% back on everything you buy on Amazon in the first 6 months up to $200 which more than pays for Prime. Plus 3% on groceries and 2% on gas and 1% on everything else. No annual fee. Attach Honey to your browser and it will dig up any discount codes for any product. If you buy enough, they pay you to shop there. 😇
I'll check that out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys I got my spark plugs finally. But mission failed at first step :) I cannot unplug spark plug wiring socket. I tried to squish by two sides and I tried to push on "push" label. I don't want to break something, do you how can I remove these sockets?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Guys I got my spark plugs finally. But mission failed at first step :) I cannot unplug spark plug wiring socket. I tried to squish by two sides and I tried to push on "push" label. I don't want to break something, do you how can I remove these sockets?

View attachment 143943
Press where the word push is. It lifts a clip at the opposite end below your blue arrow. Sometimes if you pull before the clip is released, push in, press clip, then pull. I have gently used a screwdriver to gently twist below the connector to get it to raise if your unable to pull off. Just make sure the clip is released.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts

Dust yourself off, do what Nail Grease says, and get back up on that horse. :)

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Get Amazon Prime and use an American Express Blue Cash Everyday card to buy it with. You get 20% back on everything you buy on Amazon in the first 6 months up to $200 which more than pays for Prime.
What do you do next year to cover the cost of the Prime membership?

·
Registered
662 Posts
What do you do next year to cover the cost of the Prime membership?
Close the account after six months. They'll be happy to have you back the next year. My wife and I trade off applying alternate years just in case someone in the credit approval dept is in a bad mood.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's done. Everything was good except the first step :) I don't have a click sound some of my spark plug wire sockets. But rest is ok. Here is the results. Old spark plugs' colors not good but plugs are in good shape. I tested the car with new ruthenium spark plugs. I don't see big difference. But It's too early for me to answer this question. Now I think I need to replace spark plug wiring harness.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
It's done. Everything was good except the first step :) I don't have a click sound some of my spark plug wire sockets. But rest is ok. Here is the results. Old spark plugs' colors not good but plugs are in good shape. I tested the car with new ruthenium spark plugs. I don't see big difference. But It's too early for me to answer this question. Now I think I need to replace spark plug wiring harness.
View attachment 143950 View attachment 143951 View attachment 143952
Your old plugs still look good!

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
662 Posts
View attachment 143950 View attachment 143951
I woulda put those good looking suckers back in for another year! Well, maybe six months. But you got past the hard part so best to change em.

They must have been sparking pretty good if you didn't see much improvement with the Rutheniums. Might be too early to tell though as my impression of the Ruthies is they are supposed to last longer. Let us know if you see any other benefits.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Close the account after six months. They'll be happy to have you back the next year. My wife and I trade off applying alternate years just in case someone in the credit approval dept is in a bad mood.
Does that frequent opening and closing of credit card accounts negatively affect your credit score?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Does that frequent opening and closing of credit card accounts negatively affect your credit score?
It does to some extent, but not much. Any new account will shorten the average age of your credit history which is not a plus. Also a hard credit hit (a creditor pulling your credit report before issuing you credit) can lower your score sometimes. It stays on your record for two years. Neither hurts your score more than a few points and it recovers quickly if you're in good standing in other areas.

As you accumulate more credit, as long as you don't load it up with actual debt, your percent of used credit to total available credit goes down which helps your credit score.

One balances out the other to discourage doing it just to try to manipulate your score.

That's all secondary to lenders compared to DTI ratio which takes your monthly payments including credit cards, car loans, rent, mortgage, insurance, etc. and divides it by total monthly income.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Credit score only really matters if you need to borrow.
Wait while I try to find my Cliff notes. Darn, I must have misplaced them. Here's the long answer:

Your credit score could keep you from getting hired. If you get turned down for a job or promotion, it could be because of your credit score. It's a good indicator of trustworthiness and risk of theft or embezzlement. It's also an indicator of your ability to meet deadlines. HRs and employers will check credit reports as a matter of due diligence.

When you pull into most car dealerships, they run your license plate and get your credit report. It affects the price you will get on a car since a lot of their profit on the sale is based on a commission or reserve they earn for getting you financing. If you look difficult to get financing for, they'll make up the lost profit in the price of the car. The last thing you want to tell a car dealer is that you're paying cash (even if you intend to).

More and more people are running background checks and credit reports on prospective relationships, so a bad credit score could hurt your chances of getting dates or finding business partners.

Landlords run credit checks on prospective tenants and either charge higher rent to higher risk applicants or deny their applications completely so you might not be able to rent that house or apartment you really like.

Insurance companies run credit reports before quoting you a price. A lower score will cost you more in insurance premiums.

Most utilities (phone, IP service, water, electricity) run credit checks before opening new accounts. You may or may not have to make a deposit to get service depending on your rating.

There's more, but you get the idea. It's a reality of business and life that your credit score can and is being used for other reasons. So it pays to keep track of your credit rating keep it as high as you can and make any corrections that aren't true even if you have no plans to borrow money although all of us do at some point.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been driving with the Ruthenium for a little while now, and I really feel the difference in acceleration and engine response. I have around 226K and I never felt my 2009 Pilot have so much acceleration before. I only floored it a few times to test them as it is bad for the engine. I also noticed much improved gas millage!! I am averaging 19 since I got them and it is winter time and very cold, which always brings down gas milage. I should be averaging 20 or better in the summer. Get the real ones at RockAuto. The car parts industry in U.S.A. and it supply chains have been seriously infiltrated by China and their copy catting of brand names, it can cost you thousands in damages with no recourse. Check out the NGK site to help spot the fakes. The real one's have a laser welded tip, also fake one's have cheaper insides which maybe a reason you see plugs that have burn marks on the outside.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've been driving with the Ruthenium for a little while now, and I really feel the difference in acceleration and engine response. I have around 226K and I never felt my 2009 Pilot have so much acceleration before. I only floored it a few times to test them as it is bad for the engine. I also noticed much improved gas millage!! I am averaging 19 since I got them and it is winter time and very cold, which always brings down gas milage. I should be averaging 20 or better in the summer. Get the real ones at RockAuto. The car parts industry in U.S.A. and it supply chains have been seriously infiltrated by China and their copy catting of brand names, it can cost you thousands in damages with no recourse. Check out the NGK site to help spot the fakes. The real one's have a laser welded tip, also fake one have cheaper insides which cause the plugs to have burn marks on the outside.
That's good news! You've motivated me to install mine.

For comparison's sake, what plugs did you have in there prior and how long were they in there (miles)?

What kind of mileage were you getting on the old plugs?

Why is flooring it bad for the engine?

41 - 60 of 78 Posts