Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had a chance to check our new pilot out the other day and I couldn't get the smaller of the second row seats to move forward to gain access to the 3rd seat area. Thought the slide release was binding, etc. so took a close look under the seat. Discovered that the round tubing (maybe l inch in dia) and associated corner spot welded gussets that support the circumference of the seat bottom are pretty rusty. Tonight, before posting this I took a flashlite and checked all the other seats. The other midrow seat support is also in the same rusty condition. Front and 3rd row seats are ok - paint nice and bright and complete. Plan to have the Dealer take a look this Thursday when I take it in for some minor paint touchup. Oh, don't know what I did but on next attempt to move the seat it worked?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Returned to Dealer today - not a pleasant experience but will only post on underseat rust problem for now. Two service writers looked at it and said Service Mgr had to advise them on corrective action. He came over and was looking for an extended period of time and then said everything looked good to him. I said you've got to be joking, that rust is ok? Indicated the rails were all painted. I said its not the rails look further up under the seat, its the bottom seat round channel, etc., etc. He looked again and immediately said, Oh, ya now I see it. He said wondered if all Pilots were like that and I said I didn't care if were or not as this was not acceptable. He then amplified and said wanted to know that cause if was the situation was no sense for him to order a replacement seat and also arrive in the same rusty condition. Then he said there were a couple new Pilots on the lot so went and looked at them and told me all of them were rusty. Bottom line - going to contact Honda Area Rep and get back in touch with me. I suspect many of us, if not all, have this problem. Anybody else with this problem?

·
Registered
290 Posts
The trianglular connector pieces of mine are also rusty. Nothing else under the seat is though. I'm not to worried about. I don't expect it will be getting any worse as there shouldn't be any water or serious moisture getting to it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
This is a very common problem with every vehicle I have ever owned: GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Mazda, Nissan. I think it's the type of metal that is used in certain parts of the seat assembly. If you have another car you'll probably find the same thing on the bottom of the seats in that vehicle.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
status

I agree that eventually most of the underseat hardware on several of my other vehicles eventually had surface rust BUT, they sure as heck didn't look like that when new. Also, as previously mentioned, there is a marked degradation in the condition of the center seat hardware as compared too the front and rear seats. It just plan should not be that way on a NEW vehicle. That said, I know there are bigger fish to fry but if we don't collectively motivate them to improve through our limited means (complaining) then sub-par will prevail. So, if your Pilot has this rust I urge you to bring it to your dealers attention and seek out correction on your next visit. Followed up on my initial complaint with dealer today - still pends with Area Rep. I'll give them another week or so before notify Honda.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts