Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys' brake rotors get a thin coat of rust on them all the time?

My old (99) Civic used to before it bit the dust (crash bang) and now it seems my Pilot is doing the same thing. Is there any way to prevent this? I imagine spraying oil or WD-40 is a bad BAD idea :)

BTW, Love hoppy's red calipers!

- Ben

·
Registered
123 Posts
bjdurand said:
Do you guys' brake rotors get a thin coat of rust on them all the time?

The humidity level in your neck of wood must be high constantly. BTW, I would not ever spray wd40 or any kind of oil based spray on your rotors unless......(don't want to think about it.) Let's just say: No friction = No stopping.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just like putting ArmorAll on the treads of your tires:eek:

A Very Bad Idea:p

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tony said:
Just like putting ArmorAll on the treads of your tires:eek:

A Very Bad Idea:p

That WD-40 was just a joke :) I loved that ArmorAll post on that other board. Almost died laughing!

Hella Sweet! :2:

Guess I'm S.O.L. about the rust then eh? BTW, Yes, Atlanta (or "Hot-lanta" as some refer to it) has tropical humidity levels :(

- Ben

·
Registered
465 Posts
I already have rusty rotors

and the Pilot is less than a month old!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The innermost part of my rotors were "rusty" the day it was delivered. I also noticed several very small spots (1/8" circles if that big) on the rear axle where they missed black paint. These spots also had rust on them. I noticed these when I crawled under to investigate oil dripping off my rear shock absorber.

·
Registered
84 Posts
picture of rust on rear brake

picture of rust as seen between the "spokes" of the rear wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
rusty the rotor

absolutely nothing you can do about the rust except learn to like it. Rotors are steel castings and steel rusts. Take a look at them after a day of stop and go driving and the surface area is a shiny as a newborn's butt. However, if as pointed out earlier, you live in an area of high humidity , the rust will be back with a vengeance

·
Registered
35 Posts
3 days off of the lot and I share your pain. I was used to it with my 2000 Grand Cherokee, but it ain't purty to look at.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
What are we going to worry about next?

What is it about a new car that makes us perfection beyod reality?

Just human nature I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts