Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Pilot Elite that I purchased with a Honda accessory trailer hitch. I noticed after a few months it started rusting, but now after almost 3 years the rust is really bad, so I'm looking to press the dealer to replace it under warranty. They first told me it is common and nothing they would deem as needing a replacment. I'm going to go back and request a replacement more firmly now. I've had other cars with OEM tow hitches and never had rust like this.

Take a look at the photos and let me know your thoughts: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HHZ4cdTMdbFhQn839

·
Registered
55 Posts
It does look really rusted, looks strangely out of place on a 3 year old car. Just out of curiosity, has it been near salt water or roads sprayed with salt?

Honestly, sorry to say but I would be really surprised if they replace it for free. Maybe you could pay for the replacement receiver and ask them to install it for free?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Take a wire brush to it go to walmart pickup a can of rustoleum gloss black tape off the area and spray it up.. that's nothing but surface rust and yes that's very common for trailer hitches when they are not taken care of. I highly doubt you will get very far with the dealership on that one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Take a wire brush to it go to walmart pickup a can of rustoleum gloss black tape off the area and spray it up.. that's nothing but surface rust and yes that's very common for trailer hitches when they are not taken care of. I highly doubt you will get very far with the dealership on that one.
Agreed. And after painting it, spray it with some metal protector every 2-3 months and you'll never see rust again.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Anyone else having trouble with images?
Recommend you upload directly to the forum.
I think you need a Gmail account to open it to view OPs pictures. Works on my android. But since I don't have gmail installed on my iPhone it doesn't open without it

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 4Runners 89 and 2003 trailer hitches do not have rust as bad as that. I'd have the dealer ask the manufacturer for a replacement. That's unacceptable for a 3 year old product. If the dealer won't ask, you should contact the manufacturer.
I have a 2016 Pilot Elite that I purchased with a Honda accessory trailer hitch. I noticed after a few months it started rusting, but now after almost 3 years the rust is really bad, so I'm looking to press the dealer to replace it under warranty. They first told me it is common and nothing they would deem as needing a replacment. I'm going to go back and request a replacement more firmly now. I've had other cars with OEM tow hitches and never had rust like this.

Take a look at the photos and let me know your thoughts: Shared album - Aaron H - Google Photos

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm attempting to add photos to this reply. This is my wife's car that is garage kept and not abused in anyway that should cause rust to appear. I used the tow hitch only 2 times. I always have the Honda rubber plug installed. I have never taken it to a beach. I'll let you know what the dealer says.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My 4Runners 89 and 2003 trailer hitches do not have rust as bad as that. I'd have the dealer ask the manufacturer for a replacement. That's unacceptable for a 3 year old product. If the dealer won't ask, you should contact the manufacturer.

Just curious do you live in the salt belt like the op does ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Maryland

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 17' Pilot EXL with OEM hitch is rusting just like OP. I live in MA, but have used protectant since day 1. I have never had a hitch rust this fast before.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My 17' Pilot EXL with OEM hitch is rusting just like OP. I live in MA, but have used protectant since day 1. I have never had a hitch rust this fast before.

Its called Crap Chinese metal. I've owned 3 Boston Whalers over the last 25 years. Their first two I did not have any problems with any of the metal including the Chrome. My last one was a 2009 Outrage. Dam near everything started rusting within a year, the Chrome on it sucked, started pitting and rusting. Dealer said it was the **** metal they get. I did have most of it replaced under warranty then I sold the boat. All the boats were kept in the same dry storage rack in the town of North East, MD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks to me like it's rusting from where the "protective" Honda emblem cap is. I'd wager it's not helping the cause by keeping moisture trapped against the hitch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't know if it will help or hurt. I sprayed mine with fluid film and for now am using the old plug from my Sequoia on the back to maybe help keep some of the water / dirt / salt from getting in there. The plugs do have drain holes on the bottom. Ours is often parked so the sun hits that area for long periods to maybe keep dry better.

After about 13 years the Sequoia hitch was rusting inside where the pin goes through. I couldn't get the ball mount in until I ground it out to clean up and spray it.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Fluid Flim is a god send. I've owned boats and boat trailer for the last 25 years. Just sold # 3. I spray fluid film on dam near every part of the trailer and hitch. This stuff definitely works, and works very well. Snowblower, lawn mowers, engines etc. The day after I got my 2019 EX-L I was under the car and under the hood spraying every piece of metal (except exhaust), every bolt, screw. You new name it, it makes a big difference

Amazon.com: Fluid Film FLUIAS11 Lubricant/Corrosion Inhibitor, 11.75 oz, 12": Garden & Outdoor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts