Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently picked up a new Pilot, and wanted to ensure I do the best to protect my investment from the harsh winter weather up here in Canada.

I wanted to hear any feedback members would have regarding what type of rustproofing and undercoating would be preferred. There are many different companies that offer rustproofing, some use oil based finishes, others use wax. Which is better, and why?

One thing that most places do is drill holes throughout the frame of the vehicle to apply the rustproofing treatment to hard to get at areas of the body... I'm not really eager to dill my Pilot full of holes if I don't really have to, can anyone comment on the pro's and con's of that?

Lastly, I've read the threads on the Zaino products. It certainly looks like a fine product line if you're looking for show room finishes, but I'm not so sure one would get the level of protection to the finish of the vehicle using a polish, as you would from a good wax product.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as the winter months are fast approaching and I will need to make my decision rather soon.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
TorontoPilotEXL said:
I've recently picked up a new Pilot, and wanted to ensure I do the best to protect my investment from the harsh winter weather up here in Canada.

I wanted to hear any feedback members would have regarding what type of rustproofing and undercoating would be preferred. There are many different companies that offer rustproofing, some use oil based finishes, others use wax. Which is better, and why?

One thing that most places do is drill holes throughout the frame of the vehicle to apply the rustproofing treatment to hard to get at areas of the body... I'm not really eager to dill my Pilot full of holes if I don't really have to, can anyone comment on the pro's and con's of that?

Lastly, I've read the threads on the Zaino products. It certainly looks like a fine product line if you're looking for show room finishes, but I'm not so sure one would get the level of protection to the finish of the vehicle using a polish, as you would from a good wax product.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as the winter months are fast approaching and I will need to make my decision rather soon.

Cheers!
Congrats on your new Pilot!!!
IIRC, there is not nearly the "need" to do all the aftermarket rustproofing on vehicles (particularly the Pilot) as years ago. Greater use of non-rusting components and a better job of protection of those that still do.

Someone else may be able to help you more with your questions on Zaino products. Myself, I use the Meguiers polymer (#20 as I recall) with very good results.

HTH

:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have used Zaino products, and found them quite durable over winters. I live in the mtns of western NC, and the weather can get quite "Canadian" here. Anywhere from 100 to 150" of snow, and some days below zero (F). My car is garaged when not in use, which helps. I also use one of those California dusters, with some frequency, which is a great help. As for rustproof, my experience is that most of it is "snake oil", particularly that which dealers try to sell you. Most rust prone components are rust proofed by the factories, which is why they can offer such long rust warranties. Some of the aftermarket rust proofing processes, can actually do more harm than good. When the application is spotty or leaves gaps, it allows moisture to get under it, and actually promotes rust. Probably the best rust precaution is to find a coin wash with good high pressure, and wash off the underside of the vehicle, with some frequency.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
kullenberg said:

-snip-
Probably the best rust precaution is to find a coin wash with good high pressure, and wash off the underside of the vehicle, with some frequency.
Good points!!!! The only thing I would like to add to this is to take a little caution where you point the high pressure spray. Avoid areas that have any form of lubricant or you will soon have bigger problems. Someone else mentioned to avoid spraying the rotors while still hot to avoid warping - this is critical!

·
Registered
39 Posts
colorider said:

Good points!!!! The only thing I would like to add to this is to take a little caution where you point the high pressure spray. Avoid areas that have any form of lubricant or you will soon have bigger problems. Someone else mentioned to avoid spraying the rotors while still hot to avoid warping - this is critical!

Good catch - totally agree with colorider's additional points

·
Registered
154 Posts
The thing to remember about the Zaino product is that it is not a polish as most people define polish . . . it is a POLYMER protective coating, just as Meguire's or TurtleWax are WAX protective coatings.

I've just started using Zaino and I haven't gone through a Chicago winter with it yet, but I can tell you that Zaino beads water like crazy! And if water beading is any indication of a protective coating, Zaino will work as well as a wax product but probably last longer. The theory is that polymer will stand up to heat and washes better than wax.

I'm a believer.

ammdaddy

·
Registered
725 Posts
Save Your Money

There is NO NEED to have additional rustproofing done to your PILOT. The vehicle comes with all kinds of corrosion and rust protection from the factory.

Save your money!

As for wax products - if you spend good money on good products - you can never go wrong!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, those were some fast responses!
Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread, your advice has been very helpful... you've saved me a bunch of $$$!
Now the problem is, what do I do with the $$$ I just saved?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Save Your Money

PILOTinginCO said:
There is NO NEED to have additional rustproofing done to your PILOT. The vehicle comes with all kinds of corrosion and rust protection from the factory.
What PILOTinginCO said. All scams. In fact, some rustproofing / undercoating will actually contribute to corrosion by causing water to collect in places where it is supposed to drain.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
ammdaddy said:
The thing to remember about the Zaino product is that it is not a polish as most people define polish . . . it is a POLYMER protective coating, just as Meguire's or TurtleWax are WAX protective coatings.

The Meguire's I noted above is also a polymer - not a wax.

Unless we are talking about two different products? :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry . . . I didn't intend on misrepresenting the Meguire's product. I'm only familiar with their carnuba wax. I'm sure their polymer is similar to Zaino's.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
ammdaddy said:
Sorry . . . I didn't intend on misrepresenting the Meguire's product. I'm only familiar with their carnuba wax. I'm sure their polymer is similar to Zaino's.
Well, both polymers, but a few of the reviews I have read rate Zaino's products better. I just keep using the Meguire #20 cuz I have a large bottle of it and it has worked well for me for years and years!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts