Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you put undercoating on your vehicle ? ( rust preventing )

* "NEW" vehicle allegedly is already coated and warranted for a period of time.

But after that "warranty period" expire, do you ever undercoat ? yearly ? every 5 years ? professional shop coating ? DIY-undercoating-in-a-can ?

The good, the bad, the ugly.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
opinions

and

and

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Do you put undercoating on your vehicle ? ( rust preventing )

* "NEW" vehicle allegedly is already coated and warranted for a period of time.

But after that "warranty period" expire, do you ever undercoat ? yearly ? every 5 years ? professional shop coating ? DIY-undercoating-in-a-can ?

The good, the bad, the ugly.
IMO the potential problem with undercoating is trapping moisture and setting up rust that could remain unchecked. OEM undercoating at strategic locations for sound-deadening or protection are usually fine until they are damaged from an accident or impacts.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
No I do not. They do salt the roads in MD but some winters we get virtually no salt and others we get a ton of salt. I try to run the vehicles through a wash with an undercarriage blaster a couple times through the winter but I'm debating getting one of these so I can do it at home periodically...

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I do not. They do salt the roads in MD but some winters we get virtually no salt and others we get a ton of salt. I try to run the vehicles through a wash with an undercarriage blaster a couple times through the winter but I'm debating getting one of these so I can do it at home periodically...

View attachment 138342

I've yet to find a car wash that does the "bottom" of vehicles, so I usually go to car-wash with self-wash and I use the power jet to wash the underside myself...

I undercoat the 4-wheel wells using Rust-oleum spray cans, to prevent this....

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If you do have to use a coating I'd trust an oil-type spray film more than a coating that is semi-permanent. The coatings have those voids that allow for water to be trapped where a spray film doesn't.

My '61 Impala has clearly had an oil leak for many years of it's existence and the underside is mostly lightly coated in motor oil and gear oil. I can tell you those bolts have all come off with very little effort and there is virtually no rust under the car.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you do have to use a coating I'd trust an oil-type spray film more than a coating that is semi-permanent. The coatings have those voids that allow for water to be trapped where a spray film doesn't.

My '61 Impala has clearly had an oil leak for many years of it's existence and the underside is mostly lightly coated in motor oil and gear oil. I can tell you those bolts have all come off with very little effort and there is virtually no rust under the car.
Semi-permanent has it's "benefits"

You remove it yearly (or so) and you will see any defects/developing rust/where water is seeping in and being trapped, then you can cure that spot, and re-apply new "temporary/yearly" coating.....

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Semi-permanent has it's "benefits"

You remove it yearly (or so) and you will see any defects/developing rust/where water is seeping in and being trapped, then you can cure that spot, and re-apply new "temporary/yearly" coating.....
I have 3 kids under 7 and a wife in PA school. Scraping off that type of coating, treating rust and reapplying is not realistic for me.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
My car has lived its entire life in GA. I was up in PA and got my oil changed and the guy at the dealership was blown away by how clean the car was underneath. I’m glad rust is not really a problem where I live.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts
How about the relative advantages and disadvantages of undercoating vs. rustproofing?

I know a fellow who even put up a poll about rustproofing. :)

Do You Get Your Pilot Rustproofed?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Respected mechanic suggest rustproofing/undercoating works

It's better than "doing nothing and hoping for something"...

Surprise to read comments in many topic on here saying "it doesn't work... but... car manufacture already added it"

If it doesn't work, why would manufacturers put it on ? ( Toyota had to recall thousands of vehicles due to corrosion when they failed to put on rustproofing properly ) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
I got the Fluid Film done. The only downsides that I know of (besides the smell) is that you can't tell if you have any leaks and you WILL get dirty/slimy if you work on it. 2 different dealers by me called multiple mechanics to look and try to find my massive oil leak until I saw the crowd gathered and explained. I do go a lot to snowy/salty areas. If I had done it to my 2003 Sequoia, the wife would still be driving that and happy. We both loved that SUV. The whole underside was rotting out, wheel wells rusted through from inside out due to a "known- after the fact" bad seam seal on many. Spare tire winch was rotting off around the mount, brake dust shields rotted and had to be cut off (or axles pulled to replace), frame had the recall but was deemed OK and got sprayed. Rest of truck was awesome at 176k, no leaks, no burning oil, no paint issues, no tears/stains in interior and comfortable as anything, no 4WD issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@Sha93 - I watched the videos you posted above. For dealing with an underside that already has some rust, what would be your recommendation?

I suppose one option would be to put on the CRC 6026 HD, and leave it at that. Another option could be for me to clean up all the rust, grind and buff it out, and then immediately put on flex seal.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I'm thinking of buying fender flares from 4WheelOnline. Do you think it will look great on my 2016 Honda Pilot?
Yes, if they’re made for your Pilot. With some extra work if they are universal fit they could look good too. Be sure to post pics of your work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts