Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have Pilot touring 2017, Live in Toronto where they through a lot of salt for deicing.

I used to do a weekly car wash in the gas station where they have a water pump underneath the car.

Is that enough? do I need to make rust check or undercoating once a year professionally? or Do it myself?

One more question: I have also Honda Civic 2012, should I do the same or something more as I believe the body protection technology in the pilot2017 could be more advanced than the civic2012.

BR
Omar

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE; 2015 Pilot LX
203 Posts
IMHO,
I just bought a really nice 2015 Pilot, low mileage, low rust, etc.
I many have posted that question here but,
after doing my own web search- I found that it's often not worth it, and a underbody coating, whether shop or DYI- Could even make it worse by plugging key drain holes sometimes.

YES, you should use the car wash often during the 'salt/winter' months for sure.

We'll see what other chime in on.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I live in Minnesota, where we also use a lot of road salt. My 2003 is still running like a champ, but rust has done serious damage to the rear subframe and hitch frame.

On my 2018, I am using a product called Fluid Film. It will soak into existing rust and slow it down, it creeps into pockets to protect the frame. Needs to be repeated every year or two. Looks like a good solution.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
337 Posts
Road salt = rust. Get the car Krowned or Rustchecked before winter. It's the only rust protection that works. I had mine done back in Jan at Krown and it was only $100 with the CAA discount. If you are getting your car washed once a week, you are already spending over $100.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I did FluidFilm after not doing it to my Sequoia and having to get rid of it for everything rotting underneath.

If you have it done, watch and comment NOT to spray up in front of rear differential. There are some atmospheric sensors up there that might get clogged and trigger check engine lights. Dealer will say not covered under warranty due to excess undercoating causing the issue. :rolleyes::unsure:🤬.

I posted some pictures somewhere in here if you search.

Also woolwax (like fluidfilm) is an option. Same lanolin based stuff but darker color and from what they say is a lot less "fragrant" then the fluid film.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
337 Posts
Also woolwax (like fluidfilm) is an option. Same lanolin based stuff but darker color and from what they say is a lot less "fragrant" then the fluid film.
Yes, Fluid Film does have a unique aroma, but it is good stuff and I always keep a can in the shop and use it mostly on electrical terminals to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition - Trailer hitch & Harness, All-weather Mats, cargo mat, and Black Emblems
132 Posts
How does the Fluid Film hold up to car washing? I assume it last for the duration of the winter?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts