Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Rusted VTM-4 rear differential bolts and subframe frame rust.

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Alex24 
#1 ·
Hello fellows Piloters! I hope everyone is doing fine. I would like to ask if anyone dealt with rusted bolts on the rear differential i need to replace the fluids? Also are there any good ideas or advice to take care some rust going on around the rear frame and Subframe? I live in NYC and just noticed the rust. My pilot runs fine and the front is free of rust it's just the rear has the issue. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I’d put some penetrating oil on the drain and fill bolts a couple days before starting the job. It was difficult to tell from the photo, but if the bolts are in really bad shape order new ones before starting the job. Get new crush washers as well (they are two different sizes). Remove the fill bolt first. Make sure the square socket is fully seated into the hole before cranking on the bolt. Then do the same for the drain bolt.
And only replace with Honda or Acura VTM-4 fluid.

#7 ·
Also are there any good ideas or advice to take care some rust going on around the rear frame and Subframe? I live in NYC and just noticed the rust. My pilot runs fine and the front is free of rust it's just the rear has the issue
Follow the information provided for the VTM-4 fluid replacement. The timing is good to work on the subframe rust before it becomes a bigger problem. Inspect the unibody structure that supports the subframe and knock off loose debris/chips, rust converter, rattle can paint etc. Some owners use fluid film type products to slow or arrest the rust from getting worse.

#9 ·
Generously silicone lubricant spray your spare tire hoist a couple of days ahead of time as well, from the top where the inside of your emergency tire iron goes to lower the spare, as well as however much you can get in from the bottom. Hopefully then the hoist won't seize or jam up, and you'll be able to lower your spare. Why?

First, what use is a spare if you can't lower it when the time comes you need it?

Second, you'll have much easier access to your VTM-4 drain and fill holes.

Third, your OEM donut spare is well past its end of life. Put a full size spare up in there. It fits.

#10 ·
Thanks for the advise! Yes the spare is crucial and i have in mind to get a full size spare you never know when you may need it. I sprayed the entire area with liquid wrench penetrating oil, rust remover also got a metal brush and a couple of Rust Oleum rust reformer spray cans. I will attempt to work on it this coming weekend. Thanks again.

#11 ·
PB Blast that sucker GENEROUSLY. More is better. And make sure to remove the "fill" bolt first, as if you take off the "drain" bolt and can't get the fill bolt, you'll be stuck with an empty rear diff. I've also found that torching/heating rusted bolts helps.

Just make sure to do all that prior to stripping the bolts, and you should be fine :)

--Chris N.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.