Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Pilot with 198000 miles, I had just stopped at a 4 way stop, and as I took off I heard a bang like I bottomed out and hit the muffler I went to the parking lot of the shopping ctr. 1/4 mi up the road and checked the rear but did not see anything unusual so I continued to drive to the store about 2 miles in town. I had to get up early the next day to take a couple of friends going on a overseas trip to the airport and that went fine with no issues from the pilot. But when a couple of days later at my in laws condo which is only 1 mile away I heard a metal clanging sound from the rear going down the drive, and this time as I stepped back from the pilot I noticed the left side of the frame was lower then the right ,And a closer look I saw a bolt had separated from the frame cradle, I think that's what it's called . and looking at the right side that bolt is very rusted and ready to come off, I got very concerned about driving the Pilot now for fear the whole thing would collapse , I thought what if this would have dropped when I drove to the airport a couple of days before, I am sure there are many other Pilots operating with this issue and only a matter of time for one to cause serious injury or worse!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
This just proves that the separation is not catastrophic even though scary looking.
Any competent automotive welder or body shop should be able to address that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This just proves that the separation is not catastrophic even though scary looking.
Any competent automotive welder or body shop should be able to address that.
Well as I did a bit more of a look see I now notice that the whole cradle or whatever it is called is now resting on the Exhaust I thought it the bolt was still attached, I guess I fail to understand how it is that this issue seams such a small concern as far as safety is concerned. So if in fact the rear frame collapsed over the exhaust causing it to fall to the road while driving say 45 -50 miles MPH that this would be a minor concern, Do we have to hear of a unfortunate accident to then take action if indeed this is a recurring issue with older model Honda Pilots or any other model affected. Mazda Recalled over 48,000 of it's 2009 -2010 models for frame rust issue. Why doe's not Honda do the same to warn owners of this potential hazard , other then my orig. photo two others show cradle resting on exhaust and in other the right side separation!

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
The rear subframe is attached to the unit body by four mounting bolts. The two rear ones seem to be the most vulnerable to rust. It looks like your rear subframe is hanging off the front two bolts. If I were you, I wouldn't drive the Pilot anymore in this condition.

I repaired this issue on my 2003. My write-up is linked in the #2 post above. You will have to determine if you can safely repair the mounting points on your Pilot, or if it's time for another vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well just got estimate and its too much to invest in. It's a shame the rest of it is in real good condition and runs well other then this problem . Looking at selling to whatever best deal I can get to use for getting a used truck, We are in our 60's and do not do repair work on cars. any ideas? Thank's

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
It should be the neighbourhood of $200-500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got under the Pilot to do more studying of the issue and it had rained earlier that morning ( Yesterday) and saw Drips of water coming out of the rusted hole where the bolt was . So that tells me water is getting in that area of the frame and settling for some time , I will forward this to NHTSA, I now have a useless Pilot sitting in my driveway , This is Wrong! Selling for 1500!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Any decent body shop can put braces there. Honda probably sells the whole corssmembers as parts which could be used as donors (at least I saw them in Honda parts catalogues, but the auto makers have a tendency to discontinue body parts early on).

·
Registered
487 Posts
Any decent body shop can put braces there. Honda probably sells the whole corssmembers as parts which could be used as donors (at least I saw them in Honda parts catalogues, but the auto makers have a tendency to discontinue body parts early on).
I have to disagree, most body shops will refuse to attempt this repair due to liability issues. The rear cross member is not replaceable, it is part of the unit body and is welded in at assembly. You may be able to find an independent small shop to do a no-guarantee repair.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have to disagree, most body shops will refuse to attempt this repair due to liability issues. The rear cross member is not replaceable, it is part of the unit body and is welded in at assembly. You may be able to find an independent small shop to do a no-guarantee repair.
agree, I checked with several shops without success. I am using a 6 " long piece of 4.5 x 4.5 square, 1/4" steel. I cut off one side to make a U shaped repair piece.

·
Registered
487 Posts
also found this from the ridgeline forum -

Well, I am surprised. If the rear cross member for the Pilot is available, and a body shop could cut out the old one and weld in a new one, then I guess you could get this repaired. Try checking with a Honda facility to see if this is possible.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I told you so...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts